Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 MP game thread

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
This time for real.
Name on Llamaserver: codex
Era: Early Age
Map: Streamlands
Players: 9
Victory condition: no thrones
Hall of fame entries : 15 (+5)
Score Graphs: On

Nations:

Yomi - coldcrow
Kailasa - Johannes
Mictlan - Mortmal
Abysia - Mortmal's friend
Ur - JohntheRevelator
Ulm - Chef_Hathaway
Ermor - panzertoter
C'tis - Jagreenlern

If you like different settings, post your opinion.

Last edited:

flabbyjack

Arcane
Everything about this game is wonderful.

:mhd:
Been playing Dom 3 with a melee Pretender god. Healing is too damn hard. N4+Astral2 = can construct a healing chalice, but other than that you're probably shit out of luck. I'm not too familiar with 'Early Age', but assume its all nations from Dominions 1

OK here's how I see this going down;

Coldcrow will blow all his early gold spamming weak cheap goblins and conquer all the provinces around him ASAP, then start summoning or going for choke points, then slowly build up some higher tier units.

If early Ulm is anything like mid/late Ulm, Chef_Hathaway could have some trouble to start if he doesn't have access to good resources. If he's smart he's got a magically versed Pretender who can scour his provinces for magic sites, and will invest in defense to take advantage of Ulm's high per-unit strength.

Mortmal is playing the super-fun blood magic route, which is also super powerful late game. Mictlan has trouble spreading dominion, but IDK if that's a problem since his Pretender should basically be holed up the entire time searching for blood sacrifices or casting spells. With a few strong provinces and patrolling units he should have a very high throughput of consecrated virgins to place upon the sacrificial altar. On the other hand, couple concurrent sieges will shut him down.

Johannes has a very squishy game ahead of him. Using sheer numbers, the apes and monkeys attempt to overwhelm their opponents with pathetic stabs using sticks. Easily countered by a decent stack of heavies or archers, but he might surprise us with his Nature magic.

Fire, Death, and Astral. No huge dependence on undead units, Ermor is on par with late age Ulm, but can pack some serious fire mage action, which can shut down sieges and 10 or so mages can really do some damage in a big battle, but he might be hurting for gold if he over-depends on them. GO PANZERTOTER YOU CAN DO IT! Like Ulm, invest in defense.

Jagreenlern can use heat scale to his advantage by starting with Dominion set to Heat 3 (Which grants him MORE points to use at chargen), which can then be invested in raw Dominion. This creates a synergy with Heat 3 which enables you to give provinces adjacent to you up to -30% supplies for enemies but -20% for you (As opposed to -10% for them and 0% to you at Heat 1). C'tis has some heavy hitting units and a decent amount of variety, units are also cheap on resources which means this is a very reflexive nation, I'd recommend he do a lot of land grabs, then when he gets a big stack he should pillage his way to an enemy fort.

Mortmal v2 has an interesting choice, it would have probably been my first choice for Early Age. It's a blood-magic capable nation who also has some heavy infantry, but the real fun comes if he can hold on long enough to make gold a thing of the past. More patrol + hunt orders for his strong-holds, with a lot of blood/fire mages being pumped out, bolstering research. If he is smart, he has invested into Magic 3 Dominion so he can pump out low level fire mages into a who can research/smash as needed, and will spread out some forts so they are right next to each other.

EDIT: Just finished a quick fail play-through as early Abysia. Couldn't keep a patrol stack up long enough to keep the constant waves of enemies off my back, even with recruitment, summons, and blood hunts (Can't blood hunt when under siege). Maybe investing more heavily in ~70 defense before turtling would have been better, then again, maybe I just need to land-grab more at the beginning.

JohnTheRevelator playing Ur. What? Must be a Dom 4 thing.

Last edited:

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Ur can summon their god back faster and with no penalties to magic skills when they die. They also have recruitable Sirrushes from swamp provinces and their capital.

Also, province defense is only national in provinces with a castle now, so spamming it all over the place isn't as effective anymore. Still prevents random events pretty well, though.

You should look into Dom 4, they did a lot of changes. Slow-to-recruit mages, magic sites are harder to find, heat/cold scales aren't free points for cold/hot nations, etc.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Ur can summon their god back faster and with no penalties to magic skills when they die. They also have recruitable Sirrushes from swamp provinces and their capital.

Also, province defense is only national in provinces with a castle now, so spamming it all over the place isn't as effective anymore. Still prevents random events pretty well, though.

You should look into Dom 4, they did a lot of changes. Slow-to-recruit mages, magic sites are harder to find, heat/cold scales aren't free points for cold/hot nations, etc.
Wow defense really did change big-time.
Can Ur Pretender still roll wounds when they die, such as Mute (Half magic skills) or Feebleminded (No magic)? Those are pretty much crippling. I always found wounds to be really aggravating.

Johannes

Arcane
Spamming PD all over was never a good tactic, it still works against the AI cause the AI is retarded though, but that's hardly a sensible or interesting way to learn the game

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Seven prior players are signed up, should I wait for Ermor or pull the trigger? I am inclined to start on Monday, the weekend can be a busy time.

PS: Also I did not find a setting to change the turn timer. Could you help, Johannes?

flabbyjack

Arcane
Just wanted to say that on my recent playthroughs I have been going high Luck/event chance and have been getting some very pleasant event surprsies, perhaps even overpowered events ;) Even after all these years Dominions can still surprise me.

Johannes

Arcane
Luck is definitely not overpowered, in either Dom3 or Dom4 vanilla. It's quite inferior to taking Order 3 and 0-2 misfortune for almost all nations.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Started.

And it did place thrones again ... I unchecked them, probably bug on llamasever.

Good luck and have fun!

Johannes

Arcane
So, we've got in the game:

Chef_Hathaway playing Ulm.
Ulm worships the pretender Irminsul, King Of the Ocean Underneath, He who Is at the Center, Master of the Wild Cows, God of the Harvest.

Mortmal playing Mictlan.
Mictlan worships the pretender Mortmal, Prince of the Forest that Thirsts, Sovereign of Sin, the Hidden One, King of Plants and Trees.

Some random guy that Mortmal knows, as Abysia. He really should register on the forums, I suggest that everybody gang up on this nigga if he doesn't.
Abysia worships the pretender Dirge, the Leech, Gate of Peace, King of Ostentatious Ornament, Bane of Men, God of Blood.

Jagreenlern as C'tis.
C'tis worships the pretender Jagreen Lern, Master of the Wildlife, Warrior Against the Sun.

Coldcrow playing Yomi.
Yomi worships the pretender Otaku, God of Flowers and Spring, Emperor of War, Lord of Hunting, the Wild Bull who has Lain Down, Emperor of the Crafts.

JohnTheRevelator behind Ur.
Ur worships the pretender Cockroach, Master of Flames, Master of Penitential Torture, King of Excellence, Great Defender.

And finally me as the noble Kailasa, Yakshas guiding apes of uncanny brightness aka wyrmlords.
Kailasa worships the pretender Toto, Father of Gods, Prince of Majesty, Master of Astral Fires, Prince of Arcane Mysteries, Lord of Order.

Clearly the last one is the most Majestic title by far.

Last edited:

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Well shit, I wasn't around to send in my turn. I didn't even know the game had started. :oops:

Guess I'll start on turn 2.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
A Dragon wouldn't be much of an otaku, would it?
C'tis seems to have too much fun hanging around in their castle instead of conquering land :P.

Aurore

Some random guy that Mortmal knows, as Abysia. He really should register on the forums, I suggest that everybody gang up on this nigga if he doesn't.
Abysia worships the pretender Dirge, the Leech, Gate of Peace, King of Ostentatious Ornament, Bane of Men, God of Blood.

I'm not a guy or a nigga and I wasn't aware of this threads existance until now. Anyway I am here now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So...?

Do some battle reports or something once you start to get to the juicy parts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom