Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dominions 4 announced

mondblut

Arcane
There's a rule that goes something like "when 75% of your side's total hitpoints are gone, everyone routs" (province defence and battle summons do not count towards that total).

In Dom3 at least, battle summons did count. I remember losing water queens in sp who wore wraith crowns (for ethereal). They kept routing when skeletons summoned by the crown got killed.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Thugs by definition should not approach too much chaff for fatigue issues (PD25 is the upper limit) and should merely support an already working army. Never spend more than 15-20 gems on a Thug.

Dakinis are awesome Thugs, but I was thinking about recruitable ones. But they are awesome and on the top of an already very good nation. Like Ulm's Vampire Counts. Ach. Cheapo thugs are Banes and Sleepers, but they are not on par with recruitable stuff or proper chassis.

Real gangsta ass niggas don bring chaff

You BOUGHT Dominion4, my Nazi Swede?

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Fomorian Unmarked are cool, but need a N9/E6+ bless, which isn't ideal for Fomoria.
Eh? N9Ex is ideal for their sacreds.
It is very good, but I think a W9 bless synergizes more with their Morrigan summons.
Thugs by definition should not approach too much chaff for fatigue issues (PD25 is the upper limit) and should merely support an already working army. Never spend more than 15-20 gems on a Thug.
Imho a thug should be used not only as a raider, but also as support for larger battles.

Harpsichord

Arcane
Eh, what are elves bad at honestly? They have superb morale, attack and defense, glamour, and solid paths. I guess they have sorta wimpy HP for the amount of money you drop on them, but the game gives you so many options to prevent them from getting hit at all that I haven't really found that to be of any real consequence in most cases.

I mean really the only drawback I can think of to factions like TNN and Vanheim is on a more strategic level, like the fact that they need a lab and a temple to build most of their solid units.

Also, Grimwulf never seems to have given any sort of observance to this supposed 'never spend more than 15-20 gems on a thug' rule and he was wiping whole armies with like two frosty jarls a couple of declines back. I mean obviously good use of resources is what wins the game in most cases, but I haven't observed anything that suggests that you should stick to any particular flat amount.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Also, Grimwulf never seems to have given any sort of observance to this supposed 'never spend more than 15-20 gems on a thug' rule and he was wiping whole armies with like two frosty jarls a couple of declines back. I mean obviously good use of resources is what wins the game in most cases, but I haven't observed anything that suggests that you should stick to any particular flat amount.

Grimwulf wasn't a noob. The 15-20 gems limit is more of a .... soft limit for new or lazy players to avoid overcharging unsuitable chassis with too many items and lose them easily.

You are right, good use of resources is paramount, and I always read the thug gem suggestion like the 12-provinces-in-the-first-year thingie: as a newb friendly guideline.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In theory could you do an allahu ackbar strat with horror marked stealth commanders?

The hellpower-sabbath-horror mark-blink idea is rather old and has seen some use as a 'fuck you' type of script, on par with blink-phoenix pyre communions.

Horror mark is not reliably enough to actually do anything tho.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Fomorian Unmarked are cool, but need a N9/E6+ bless, which isn't ideal for Fomoria.
Eh? N9Ex is ideal for their sacreds.
It is very good, but I think a W9 bless synergizes more with their Morrigan summons.
Morrigans are beasts even unblessed. W9 is wasted on sacred mages and only averagely useful on recruitable sacreds, while N9Ex improves them both AND help morrigans a bit too.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Morrigans are beasts even unblessed. W9 is wasted on sacred mages and only averagely useful on recruitable sacreds, while N9Ex improves them both AND help morrigans a bit too.

N9Ex is the best stock bless for everything, but W9 is probably the best offensive-focused bless as it gives inferior quickness and a sizeable boost to Defense. On sacred elves, it can lead to very good thugs. N9W9 White Centaurs are awesome, bar for the Fatigue problem.

Of course, an optimal N9W9Ex bless would tank scales and be subpar, I guess. But amongst the "useful" blesses, W9 is right behind N9 and E9.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

N9Ex is the best stock bless for everything, but W9 is probably the best offensive-focused bless as it gives inferior quickness and a sizeable boost to Defense. On sacred elves, it can lead to very good thugs. N9W9 White Centaurs are awesome, bar for the Fatigue problem.

Of course, an optimal N9W9Ex bless would tank scales and be subpar, I guess. But amongst the "useful" blesses, W9 is right behind N9 and E9.
true. W9 is awesome on stuff like Mot5E, eagle warriors or lanka demons. I consider it better than E9 too. Still, it's not as good on giant mage nations.

Johannes

Arcane
Most important thing about thugs is their ability to Trapeze/Teleport and/or stealth. Otherwise, why not just use normal troops?

Proper SCs like Niefel Jarls, Titan pretenders and the like, are a bit different matter than cheap guys meant to wipe PD. There you use whatever gems you must to wipe out a specific army, or make an offensive with a guy you hope know the enemy can't counter.

With Fomoria N9(Ex) is maybe the most suitable bless, but then you also gotta ask, do you really care about a bless? You've got good troops in and out of cap otherwise too, blessing sacreds is somewhat of a PITA with your priests too. And the Kings while decent SCs, have a lot of use with their spells and sailing already.
Edit: actually if I'd prioritize a bless I'd go for W4E4N9 with Fomoria just due to getting that ridiculous cloaked faggot chassis.

Last edited:
i envy you. able to enjoy the depth of this game despite its absolutely atrocious interface. a less than serviceable interface which didn't let me understand this depth after hours of attempts.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's right, the interface is a clusterfuck.
The commander selection, the unit order, placing troops on the battlefield, selecting spells, writing messages... doing anything, honestly.
Pretty much everything in this interface sucks and could be improved significantly without losing complexity.
It's not that it isn't working, but everything is just super complicated to do.

I really dislike late game, because then the interface being extremely inefficient really starts to show with turns taking 30+ minutes.
Turn times could easily be halved with a better interface.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, but "usable" is the best state it ever reaches even if you learn the shortcuts.

I can't imagine the number of people wanting to try this game or try to like it, but the interface (and some other rather inane stuff like the inability to do diplo with the AI) just shoves them away.

The community, and with it mods, etc. could be much larger than it is.

I don't blame the devs for not changing the interface, it's just a hobby project for them afaik.
But they should let some professionals (of which there are a few among the community, I think) have a go at improving the interface.
Though I do suspect the code to be of cosmic horror quality, driving most volunteers insane.

Norfleet

Who summons me? Is someone offering? I don't have an account on this site because I've never heard of it before, so don't have enough of those point-things.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Who summons me? Is someone offering? I don't have an account on this site because I've never heard of it before, so don't have enough of those point-things.

They are called money. You can't hack them into your bank account, sadly, but there are other ways.

Norfleet

They are called money. You can't hack them into your bank account, sadly, but there are other ways.
No, when I clicked the link, it said I needed some kind of blue coin thing which I was supposed to be able to get for free, but I haven't been on this site before, so I haven't had the chance to get any. I'm certainly not giving money to a weird site on the Internet I've never heard of before, especially when there is no PROFIT to be had by doing so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom