Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Skyrim have good soundtrack?

the_shadow

Arcane
.... Am I the only one who plays games on mute?

Mute? Yes.

But turning off the music is the first thing I do in most games. Still only know the menu track from Skyrim - wich, admittedly, is quite catchy.

I much rather have the pure atmosphere of the gameworld.

I don't know why so many people are downvoting this. Most soundtracks in games are immersion breaking and sometimes downright annoying. I can only enjoy the *really good* soundtracks that are (usually) context dependent, like those in Witcher, Icewind Dale, Unreal/Quake, and Morrowind/Skyrim. I'm currently playing ToME and turned off the music within the first 5 minutes because it's so bland and repetitive. I could never stand the music in Ultima 7 for more than 2 minutes. Hearing the same 15 second midi track of 'Rule Brittania' and whatever the combat theme was looped over and over again was pure torture.

Beastro

Arcane
Morrowind's soundtrack is vastly overrated by comparison, it's REALLY short and it's the same songs repeating over and over again. That does not a good soundtrack make.

As good as it is you're right.

I didn't play the Witcher 3 but the soundtrack seems miles better, maybe because I am a bitch for authentic folk music. Skyrim has a ok OST but its way too "in the back" and forgettable, other than Sovernguarde. Kinda like Fallout 3/New Vegas where you don't hear the "real" OST since you are blasting the radio 24/7, except in Skyrim the soundtrack is just meek like that.

I never played the personal radio, only caught songs on radios playing you'd run by, which was plenty enough since there weren't many of them.

The one original soundtrack song that always stuck with me was the ambient one around Novac, but even without the radio playing there's plenty of sound being made to easily drown the originals out.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Usually while playing I am so focused that I actually don't hear any music, my brain absolutely turns it off. Thus I like everything I hear, beceause if it got trough the barrier it must be good in some way.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The Witcher (Enhanced Edition Director's Cut, wew) is another game with a great soundtrack. I feel both it and Skyrim's soundtrack really make you feel like you are THERE.

Since I'm at it, I'll also say PS:T's soundtrack is good too, at the very least the Mortuary track.

Baterky

Literate
I think it's good, it's really good for focus, like I turn it on Spotify when I'm working as well

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's a mixed bag, in my opinion. It tried too hard to be "epic" and Hollywood movie-esque instead of the more melodic tones of the previous games.

Jimbob

Literate
I really liked Skyrims soundtrack, it was epic enough to fit the scene and ambiant enough to not be distracting.

Oblivions soundtrack seemed to get old really quick for me...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom