Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Avernum Escape from the Pit stand alone well?

Mustawd

Any noob traps to avoid or things to watch out for?

Don't make an archer. They become useless. If you did, then just pick up one of the companions available in the main cities and ditch the archer. The older Avernums allowed you to cheat by simply redoing the stats of your party members. Not sure about the new one. anyway, archers suck.

the_shadow

Arcane
It's quite good, but combat suffers from to much HP boat, specially on bosses. Like most Vogel games, it becomes a chore near the end.

The setting and writing is top notch

Funnily enough, in his earlier games (Exile Series, Avernum 1-3, first couple of Geneforge etc), Vogel relied less on HP and damage bloat to increase challenge.

And those games, while fantastic, were too easy, even on the hardest difficulty. Avernum 5 was where the HP bloat and powerful AoE spam became common, and that's when they became very challenging on Torment (as they should be).

If I were going to change one thing about the Exile/Avernum 1-3/Nethergate, it would be to prevent saving the game outside of friendly towns. That would make spells such as Raise Dead/Resurrection actually worth using, as you couldn't just use 'Power Word: Reload' the moment one of your PC's got smoked.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Any noob traps to avoid or things to watch out for?

Don't make an archer. They become useless. If you did, then just pick up one of the companions available in the main cities and ditch the archer. The older Avernums allowed you to cheat by simply redoing the stats of your party members. Not sure about the new one. anyway, archers suck.

Thanks, bro.

I've got one point in archery for the priest & sorceror each. I figured a bow for them to shoot shit when it wasn't worth casting anything was a good idea - could've been a noob trap.

Priest is pretty godtier so far, sorceror seems kinda underwhelming.

I'm building the soldier as a tank, too. Not sure if misplaced.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there any way to control Exile 1-2-3 with Keyboard only? I hate moving the mouse around everytime I want to aim a spell.

pippin

I thought you could always do that? At least you can in the first Avernum.

Falksi

Arcane
Just downloaded Avernum: Escape from The Pit on Steam and Christ it runs like absolute shite.

I'm a bit of a tech-spaz, but the likes of Underrail & Tales of Monkey Island run fine. I wouldn't expect a game as basic as Avernum to run so sluggishly.

Mustawd

? What OS are you running? Thing ran fine on Win 7 back when I played it.

Falksi

Arcane
? What OS are you running? Thing ran fine on Win 7 back when I played it.

Running Windows 7 too. It's a 2009 machine so old, but I've not bothered upgrading because it's always done me for what I needed.

I'm just surprised as I'd have thought A:EFTP would have run fine on it. Even with minimal graphics it's sluggish as hell.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Can you play with compatibility settings? It sounds like a software problem, not a hardware problem.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I started with Escape from the Pit in the end, figured a recent remake would have bug & engine fixes and so on that would make it more worthwhile.

I'm actually really enjoying it; it's simple (at least so far) but charming.

I have a level 4 party that consists of a soldier, rogue, priest and sorceror. Any noob traps to avoid or things to watch out for?

Don't bother with spears or bows, have every melee character dual-wield

Falksi

Arcane
Can you play with compatibility settings? It sounds like a software problem, not a hardware problem.

Yeah, tried it in older compatibility modes but no joy. I can live with it, only paid £2 for it on the sale and will upgrade the PC over the next year or so. I was just surprised that such a basic game ran so shit when the likes of Tales of Monkey Island & Underrail run fine.

Mustawd

I started with Escape from the Pit in the end, figured a recent remake would have bug & engine fixes and so on that would make it more worthwhile.

I'm actually really enjoying it; it's simple (at least so far) but charming.

I have a level 4 party that consists of a soldier, rogue, priest and sorceror. Any noob traps to avoid or things to watch out for?

Don't bother with spears or bows, have every melee character dual-wield

Bows suck, but I found Spears to work well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom