Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Do you want to have a bad if the world needs you?? Let's play Final Fantasy XAT, FF 35, and Longway!

I'm a dancer!!! Do you want i'm gonna dance?

• Yes

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters

kazgar

Arcane
Was it just me, or was this whole game about eating and drinking things?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
So, I mentioned Andyman in the previous update and he hasn't commented yet. Does that mean Andyman doesn't search the forums for any mention of his name anymore? :decline: of the horsie, verily.
Oh he does but he likes to play hard to get.

edit: Hey, girl, so search results give me nothing for your previous update so here's what you do. This shitty, undeveloped forum can't do with them pesky "´"-thingies apparently so if you write "Andyman's" it won't show up when I search for "Andyman". So ya gots to writes "Andyman" and nuttin' else if yo want me showing up on your thread step going "hallå, what's all this then?" Capricciosa? Fuck, I meant capri. Fuck, I meant quiche. Fuck I meant capiche. Capiche? Capiche. Let's capiche this place up!

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
So to add a little context to this, it was made almost 14 years ago by my friend's sister, who was 8 at the time but is in her 20s now. RPG Maker is a pretty simple program to use and it's what I used when I was young too, but the effort and thought that went into this is pretty phenomenal compared to the stuff I've seen any other young kids make, especially ones who don't speak English well. So as goofy as this game is, I think it's a real accomplishment and represents what RPG Maker really should be used for - an accessible game creation tool for people who otherwise wouldn't have one.

Really good stuff! Thanks for doing this, I'll let her brother know!

FYI the best character is the dancer who's also a fighter.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So to add a little context to this, it was made almost 14 years ago by my friend's sister, who was 8 at the time but is in her 20s now. RPG Maker is a pretty simple program to use and it's what I used when I was young too, but the effort and thought that went into this is pretty phenomenal compared to the stuff I've seen any other young kids make, especially ones who don't speak English well. So as goofy as this game is, I think it's a real accomplishment and represents what RPG Maker really should be used for - an accessible game creation tool for people who otherwise wouldn't have one.

So, now you know you should get as a creative director for Barkley 2 ;)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

An actual 8-year old, huh? I really thought it was a prank.

By the way, cboyardee, does your friend still have a copy of that other game made by the same 8-year old girl, called Longway? It's mentioned in the readme.txt on the website but it says the d/l link was removed because of bugs:

http://wedemandhtml.com/tmp/rm2kgames/readme.txt

If it's in any state close to playable, I wouldn't mind LPing it in this thread as well.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yes, cboyardee it was 'your friend's sister' who made this game 14 years ago, indeed...

We all know that this is actually a prototype for Barkley, Shut Up and Jam :obviously:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Well, Rpg Maker helped when it came time for me to really program. It did throw me off when I learned that switches are not simple on/off variables though.

Awesome game and awesome LP. I think I'll blatently copy this one and do one of the two surviving projects I did as a kid.

dada78641

Literate
GREET'S. sorry for bumping such an ancient topic but I wanted to drop a little note here about "Longway", the long-awaited (!?!?) sequel to this game. I'm xat's brother and helped her make this game (pretty much I did nothing though, I made the window graphics picture for her and helped fix a few bugs). Longway is the game she made after that, which is also unfinished but has a bit more consistent story. I just wanted to fix a few more minor bugs (like events not triggering because you didn't walk on the EXACT right tile) before putting it up. (I can also answer questions about this game if anyone has any??? I "get" all the arcane jokes...)

you've played pretty much everything in the game btw, there are no other areas to explore.

As a bonus, here's an email from xat that she once sent me in english. I don't know why she sent it in english, but she did.

> >Subject: How can i added to the list?
> >Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:31:02 +0200
> >
> >Hey!
> >
> >How's it going?Jou now me,Omega i'm jour SISTER!(í cant speak sooooo much Englisch,so....)Wel....JOU don't beleef me?Wel jou see...i can't write so good...
> >So..wel...can jou ad me to the list?Please?Please?
> >
> >Wel..see ya!

ps thanks again cboy for doing the let's play. xat watched the recording of it three times.

dada78641

Literate
Yeah I'm almost done, on a trip right now so I've been busy. But I just want to check to ensure there are no weird game breaking bugs/missing teleports/etc.

Will probably post a link tomorrow or the day after.

dada78641

Literate
Alright, here 'tis: http://wedemandhtml.com/tmp/rm2kgames/Longway.zip
so, this game has a bit more of an event-driven story to it than ffxat. it's a game made as sort of a gift to an ancient forum website we were visiting back then.
the story's about Scott, who receives a letter from his violent and insane grandmother commanding him to come over to her house. a nearby kingdom decides to lend him their entire army to ensure his safety.
(The only thing I did was provide the opening and ending graphics and help with some of the code things, everything else is by xat!)

HAVE FUN!!!!!!

edit: rm2k common wisdom: if the font looks crappy, install the two fonts that are in the zip file. you might see some weird hidden files in the zip, that's likely the garbage OSX puts everywhere.

dada78641

Literate
some pic's

longway_scr_1.png

longway_scr_2.png

longway_scr_3.png

longway_scr_4.png

longway_scr_5.png

longway_scr_6.png

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Alright, here 'tis: http://wedemandhtml.com/tmp/rm2kgames/Longway.zip
so, this game has a bit more of an event-driven story to it than ffxat. it's a game made as sort of a gift to an ancient forum website we were visiting back then.
the story's about Scott, who receives a letter from his violent and insane grandmother commanding him to come over to her house. a nearby kingdom decides to lend him their entire army to ensure his safety.
(The only thing I did was provide the opening and ending graphics and help with some of the code things, everything else is by xat!)

HAVE FUN!!!!!!

edit: rm2k common wisdom: if the font looks crappy, install the two fonts that are in the zip file. you might see some weird hidden files in the zip, that's likely the garbage OSX puts everywhere.

Awesome, gonna check this out soon. Love old projects like this.

dada78641

Literate
I hope you guys like it!!!! Let us know, Xat is watching. . .

I dropped the link in the ToG/barkley2 dev channel earlier and Bhroom told me they'd stream it, so I'm looking forward to that!!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Awesome game with a great story behind it - incredible that it was actually made by an 8-year-old!

Also, another very entertaining LP, miss Bee. They don't make them as good as this any more. :salute:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
1: The idiot cookie eater

We've come a longway, my friends.

So long, in fact, that I've completely forgotten how this LP thing works.

This time, we're playing XAT's second game - Longway, or, the Adventures of Scott.

Protesting is futile, Scott. XAT is the auteur, and besides, you are in fact an idiot, as this update will prove.

Is staying tooned even becoming for a gentleman, XAT?

Sweet Scott!

Before, in latest Zork-inspired fashion, we go outside to check out the postbox, let's check the menu.

Scott looks really angry at something. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say he's still salty about being called an idiot.

Whatcha carrying, Scott?

Not much, really. The key is a nice touch, though.

So you don't forget: like FF XAT, this is a Final Fantasy game. <3

Scott must be important to have a special weapon made for and named after him.

Or maybe he's just a JRPG protagonist.

Before going outside, let's check out the house, too.

We find some cookies in the nearby chest.

Turns out Scott is quite the gourmand.

Remember, children: a screamer is made, not born.

Let's check the bedroom, too. Oh hey, a mirror.

Ah! Scotty! Aren't you looking just charming today.

Nope, can't pick up chicks in this game.

So, outside we go.

Ah, the rustic charm of an RPG Maker countryside.

Sweet grandmother of Scott! And she wants the cookies we just picked up, too.

Scott is not amused.

Suddenly, a black white ( :( ) cat appears.

Nobody has as many friends as a man with many cookies.

A bite can't hurt, right?

Why do you care so much about the cookies, kitten? What's your angle?

4 cookies looks like one too many for the elderly grandmother.

A man needs to eat, you know.

Tree cookies? I wonder what these taste like.

What are you talking about? I'm as calm as only someone who just ate three cookies can be.

Does grandma really remember how many cookies there were in the first place, though?

I mean, she's old and probably senile. I bet I could convince her she only baked one.

What are you talking about? I'm getting fuller by the minute.

I just need one more to feel really good, and ready for the road.

Oops, I guess that really was the last one.

Will the grandma eat Scott instead of the cookies now? Do Scots taste good? Next (?) time, we'll find out (?) if this game has C&C, and thus if it is a true, Vault Dweller-approved RPG.

Stay tooned!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom