Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you still play Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament 1999?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's with all this next-gen title retconning? There's no such game as Unreal Tournament 1999, it's just Unreal Tournament. Or should we go around saying Planescape: Torment: 1999, or Half-Life 1998 too?

potatojohn

Arcane
The ugly aesthetic, the mind-numbingly stupid gameplay, the soul-crushing repetitiveness

Q and UT are the eurogoth equivalents of nascar.

I occasionally fire up some Ut 2k4 for onslaught. Mostly against bots though, since players are hard to come by these days.
Weird, when i used demo crack on my pirated copy of Ut2k4, there was bunch of onslaught servers, minimum two full. I played onslaught so much that now i can't stand it.
Edit: it was 2 years ago.

Cassidy

Arcane
The ugly aesthetic, the mind-numbingly stupid gameplay, the soul-crushing repetitiveness

Q and UT are the eurogoth equivalents of nascar.

Do you prefer Modern Warfare 3 uniqueness and originality in levels with a great degree of variance and nonlinearity?

:M

Because besides Starsiege: Tribes, I don't think there are many multiplayer FPS games that are clearly better than Q3 and UT. Of course I hate slow paced "realistic" games so my opinion will be always biased in their favor.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
such seriousness, in a place like the codex

potatojohn

Arcane
I'm neither offended nor inspired. Recently the codex, and gaming in general, have not managed to engender any particular feelings at all. Bioware blah blah Bethesda blah blah Jap TBS games blah blah blah. What's left to do in gaming for me? I guess I should finally play JA2 and a DCS game, then I can finally quit forever as the rest of you are consumed by the flood of shitty rehashes.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone else beside me who like Unreal 2? Just like Deus Ex - Invisible War, I bought it from the bargain bin som years after it was released, so my expecations weren't very high.
I sometimes wonder how much expectations factor in on how much you like a game. The higher the expecations the more disappointed (or in the case of Oblivion for some - downright hostile) one gets. I had very high expecations for Half-Life 2 but ended up hating it, and not even completing it, while I enjoyed and completed Unreal 2 and Deus Ex 2

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Anyone else beside me who like Unreal 2? Just like Deus Ex - Invisible War, I bought it from the bargain bin som years after it was released, so my expecations weren't very high.
I sometimes wonder how much expectations factor in on how much you like a game. The higher the expecations the more disappointed (or in the case of Oblivion for some - downright hostile) one gets. I had very high expecations for Half-Life 2 but ended up hating it, and not even completing it, while I enjoyed and completed Unreal 2 and Deus Ex 2
What did you think of Quake 4?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What did you think of Quake 4?

Barely played it. Thought it was too hectic and too scripted. Same as Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault felt after having played Allied Assault.
Or maybe I'm getting too old and the games just feel too hectic?

RatFink

Educated
what is this seeing people through walls business in that video that is posted on page 2?
quite irritating..

on topic..hard to decide. both are a lot of fun in their own way!

the_shadow

Arcane

I completed Unreal 2, and enjoyed it, much like I would enjoy a B grade action movie. I suspect it was because it felt too much like another of those 'Marines vs. Aliens' settings, which had been rehashed a thousand times before. The original Unreal was truly a unique experience, with your PC exploring a vast alien world populated by bizarre (and often hostile) flora and fauna. The original Unreal had a certain epicness to it that Unreal 2 failed to emulate.

I could never get into Invisible War, simply because I didn't know where the hell to go.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I play UT & Starcraft a few times a year my friends using hamachi.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom