Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you recommend D:OS1?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Achiman

blobber connoisseurs Dorarnae and Courtier have both played Demon Gaze and they both liked it (don't know if they loved it).

You can trust their taste implicitly my friend. I ended up not buying the VITA because (of Hurrican Maria) i'm gonna be uprooting and moving to the mainland US in February so obv. no room for buying stuff like that for a while.

always depend what you're looking for. the game is far from perfect, but I still find it enjoyable for what it is. if you never played a blobber, I guess it's a good game to start with. if you're a veteran, there are better game. or if you just want something to play without thinking too much it's also good.

Incendax

Augur
Tentative yes.

There is LOTS of corny humor, and a rather bland main story, but there is a lot to love about the game. Especially the first act.

Ravn7

Educated
DOS2 has far superior visuals, story, characters and a few other things. Because of that it's hard to go from DOS2 to 1.

Thus, I'd recommend playing DOS1 first. And it costs like 10$ on GOG sales so I think it would be a shame to miss it. For me it's a no-brainer.

The gameplay is absolutely great, the best ever made in an isometric game until its sequel. Gives a player so many possibilities its reactivity (manipulating objects, etc.) feels like a true role-playing experience. PoE, which I really like by the way, feels like a railroad in comparison. The weakest aspect of the game is the story, though. It's just serviceable. It doesn't take itself seriously and is very humorous, reminds of Pratchett's books (without their deepness). So if someone doesn't like Pratchett's works I wouldn't even try it. But if it doesn't bother you it can be quite fun, actually.

Oh, and I played EE and didn't notice any problems with combat. It was absolutely stunning.

Theldaran

Liturgist
A question, more of that Pratchett-esque humour in DOS2? I caved in and bought DOS1, but I haven't tried it yet. I still don't know if the writing will amuse me or not. But at any rate, it isn't what I'm accustomed to.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
A question, more of that Pratchett-esque humour in DOS2? I caved in and bought DOS1, but I haven't tried it yet. I still don't know if the writing will amuse me or not. But at any rate, it isn't what I'm accustomed to.
The writing is mediocre-to-bad in both games. That's not what you should be playing these games for. (though you shouldn't play D:OS2 regardless.)

newtmonkey

Arcane
I do not, but it depends on what you're looking for.

I felt the fixed encounters gated you along a somewhat linear path; when you leave the first town there are 3-4 fixed encounters outside that basically increase in difficulty, suggesting a path you should definitely take. Maybe if you know the system well (perhaps after a replay) you could take on the higher level encounters first. I almost felt like I was playing something like Final Fantasy Tactics except with RPG style exploration.
The writing also annoyed me, seemed to me like listening to some weird old beardy at the hobby shop talking about his cats while all you can hope is for the cashier to ring up your purchase quickly so you can get the hell out of there.

If fixed level-based encounters and the weird writing doesn't bother you, the environment interactivity and turn-based combat is a lot of fun.

Ravn7

Educated
Yes, the humor in DOS2 is similar but it's somewhat better and characters are more fun (and there are five of them so there's always some choice).

Have you tried the game yet?

Tigranes

Arcane
Larian games really aren't funny for everyone. But humour especially is always subjective.

Other than humour, the story/writing is utterly mediocre and pointless, and half the time paying attention to it is like watching the story cutscenes in an MMO: a waste of time.

It should really be about whether you enjoy the combat and questing / sneaking into places / teleporting weirdly around the world with the 'zany' fantasy world as a backdrop. As someone who finds all Larian writing excruciatingly unfunny, I would still recommend DOS1/2.

Modron

Arcane
What is a better game, D:OS1 or divine divinity?
Divine Divinity > Divinity 2 > D:OS > Beyond Divinity, I have not played D:OS 2 yet but the initiative and armor changes would probably place it behind the first game in the series for me.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Larian games really aren't funny for everyone. But humour especially is always subjective.

Other than humour, the story/writing is utterly mediocre and pointless, and half the time paying attention to it is like watching the story cutscenes in an MMO: a waste of time.

It should really be about whether you enjoy the combat and questing / sneaking into places / teleporting weirdly around the world with the 'zany' fantasy world as a backdrop. As someone who finds all Larian writing excruciatingly unfunny, I would still recommend DOS1/2.
Is there anyone in this Universe who doesn't find "the man with many cheeses" funny? Blasphemer!

Tigranes

Arcane
Cheese man was funny, there's cool moments like the talking dog, usually the little off-to-the-side quips are nice and they set the mood. Divinity 2 had a few more funny moments.

But try talking to the fucking imp or the Gandalf clone or any of the bad guys in DOS1, for example, without throwing up. It's like Powerpuff Girls reject scripts. I mean, you can't have every character crack jokes for 50 hours, but my point is that the actual story / main dialogue / characters are generally awful.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I really hate both D:OS1 and 2. I have no clue how these games have become so popular, considering I have way more patience than the average 'gamer' and I can't even put up with the shit these games pull.

First, the story and writing is a joke. Nobody here disagrees with this so there's no reason for me to explain.

The setting is WAY overdone. I get that the point is to fit literally every fantasy trope possible into the game but it doesn't work. It's not cute, it's not funny.. It gives variety which is good I guess but it also gives another reason to completely dismiss the writing and story because it becomes a satire of itself.

The combat, which is the only valid reason for enjoying the game, is horribly unbalanced. Normal mode is too easy, you steamroll everything from beginning to end. Tactician is impossibly hard unless you min/max at which point it becomes easy. Something like 85% of abilities are useless in harder difficulties and in normal mode, anything kills everything so nothing matters. Xcom has issues but its interpretation of turn based combat is LEAGUES ahead of this game.

Soo story, setting, combat -> all bad. No redeeming qualities. How did these games get so popular? They're actually mainstream, which is impossible to believe. I imagine most people who've bought the games, purchased because they saw some popular streamer playing them and were like "LOOK SIK BROS", bought it, and didn't make it past character creation.

I recommend NEITHER

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm going against the Korrekt Kodex Knowledge and say that I found OS1 to be extremely unfunny, imbalanced and annoying.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Yes, especially with a friend. D:OS1 is lighter on plot than part 2, so you can concentrate more on the beauty of creting chaos together :D.

Procco

Barely Literate
Did DOS1 even have a plot? I played through the whole thing and enjoyed it a lot, but most of the story/dialog can be skimmed or skipped. Read the Cliff's Notes in your quest log when you get stuck, but have fun with the exploration and combat. Oh, and the inventory system (in both DOS's) is fucking broken and stupid. It's not Ultima VII bad, but pretty terrible.
That said, yeah, play that game. It puts a premium on fun.

aeroaeko

Learned
Maybe but i wont expand upon my answer any further

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom