Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you notice a trend in your favorite RPGs?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
The main thing my favorite RPGs have in common is that they were all quite difficult (at least on initial playthroughs before eventually learning various exploits), really forcing me to actually think about what I was doing and come up with sound tactics to progress.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They have complex character building and development options, a system that makes sense, is interesting and has a lot of impact on actual gameplay. Oh and have hand placed, carefully crafted loot and/or little loot to speak of. The loot is not tiered, is not scaled and does not make stats or abilities meaningless.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Games that offer as much freedom in approaching situations as possible are usually my favorites.
If they also have good tactical combat then they are perfect.
So JA2 is like my "god-tier" game. Then Fallout 1&2, VtM, D:OS 1&2 and so on

Geckabor

Savant
Thinking about this I noticed that none of my top 3 (Gothic, Morrowind and F:NV) are isometric RPGs. Maybe the most interesting detail is that all of these games have many different factions you can help out or join. Obivous last trend is the rewarding exploration.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Inventive and immersive world's without modern day social commentary shoehorned in.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
-isometric
-character creation

Except of course for the ones that aren't isometric and have shit character creation :shittydog:

Desert Fish

Educated
Patron
  • They don't have fantasy settings (unless you stretch the concept to include Bloodlines or AoD)
  • Character creation
  • Generally not too gamey, I prefer simulationist or at least believable

Casual Hero

Augur
  • They don't have fantasy settings (unless you stretch the concept to include Bloodlines or AoD)
  • Character creation
I'm just curios as to what RPGs you think are most sim-like. I guess I do prefer gamey (first-person blobbers). I think the most realistic game I can think of is DarkLands.

Desert Fish

Educated
Patron
  • Character creation
I'm just curios as to what RPGs you think are most sim-like. I guess I do prefer gamey (first-person blobbers). I think the most realistic game I can think of is DarkLands.
Actually, I can only think of JA2, if you count that as an RPG. I haven't played DarkLands, the little I heard about it didn't seem like my cup of tea. A number of games come close enough with modding, though. Like Fallout games, where my biggest annoyance is that you can't blow up flimsy-looking doors and walls.

But I don't necessarily look for sim-like in all aspects, mostly combat. And I often enjoy over-the-top ass kicking as long as it seems physically plausible within the game universe.

Last edited:
My favorite R.P.G.s tend to be challenging, creative and either very obscure or very popular: Superhero League of Hoboken, Anachronox, Final Fantasy 6, 7 and Chrono Trigger, Cthulhu Saves the World, Bloodnet, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura, the Xenoblade and Half-Minute Hero games, Little King's Story, Planescape Torment which I think is the only Bioware game that aged well, Dark Half--the great forgotten SNES game, not the horrendous P.C. game--Metal Max Returns, Zelda. I tend to avoid repetitive dungeon crawls with little plot like Wizardry, Might and Magic, Legacy of Grimrock and Realms of Arkania, which I find mediocre.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, some asshole shits all over them every day around here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom