Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you like pixel art?

Pixel art is:

• Total voters

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like that "style" as well. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Might be a stupid question, but would it be possible to fake 2d pixel art in a 3D engine? Just to get the aesthetics? I mean, like how you do cell-shading and stuff.

Like this one, but in a fully 3d world:

LnQ6Hha.gif
You can achieve it with shaders (watch in HD):

Fug

Educated
I like pixel art. In fact I make pixel art sometimes.

crank_by_nekot_the_brave-d92b8lc.png

What I don't like is 'retro pixel art', like the last two images in the picture that Jarpie posted.
See a game like Siralim for proper retro pixel art, it's similar to Dragon Quest/Warrior monsters, but different enough to be unique.
seite-25-small.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Frankie of Barkley 2 draws cool pixel monsters:

One thing that fascinates me with proper pixel art is that it's done with the mouse, every little dot handplaced and it counts.

Fug

Educated
Cool monsters. I expected something like this from Grimoire.
I'd suggest checking the game out if you liked Dragon Warrior Monsters 1/2 or Joker, it's similar to it in many ways, but overall a better game.
Frankie of Barkley 2 draws cool pixel monsters:

One thing that fascinates me with proper pixel art is that it's done with the mouse, every little dot handplaced and it counts.

Too bad that game is never ever going to come out

Tick Tock Crocodile

It's the only type of art that can make graphics a big 'plus' for me in any game (when it's done well, of course). There are screens in PM2 I could look at for ages, and the type of thing on the site that supervoid posted. . . to me, that's as good as art gets.

Fug

Educated
I think Metal Slug is probably one of the highest points that Pixel Art has ever achieved, everything in the series is just gorgeous to look at, and even better in motion.

Fug

Educated
I've always loved the style and use of color, how the colors are toned down, to give it a slightly more gritty look.

kangaroodev

Educated
I love pixel art, I'm trying to learn how to draw it myself but it's super hard because of two reasons. You'll never get good at it if you can't draw well without pixel art in the first place, and two, it's very time consuming, at least for me. Just a simple animation can take even days, it would be many times faster to draw normally.

I wish I could draw it like in some of my favourite games because pixel art looks amazing when done right. What I don't like is 1 pixel limbs and absolutely no effort to add a bit of detail to some sprites, which is apparently common now. I am not in the place to criticize that but then again, you don't have to be a cook to say you don't like food X.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
I've always loved the style and use of color, how the colors are toned down, to give it a slightly more gritty look.
colors are toned down so you can see the projectiles better (hence why they are always top-saturated colors) and still it wasn't enough as sometimes projectiles would hide or blend with other game elements :S

For the most part when people are talking about good pixel art they point to games like metal slug, any lucas arts adventure game of the 90s or any game that has a high detailed art in general. For the most part those games sprites and backgrounds were hand drawn then scanned into art attests at a shitty resolution. Now I'm not saying that it's 'not pixel art' but rather to make good pixel art you have to have a good artists in the first place. They weren't trying to make good 'pixel art' but good art in general but were stuck with terrible resolution displays. If they had the technology back then, and assuming that they wouldn't go right ahead to make 3d art instead, the art would look more like it would fit in a animated flim.

Machocruz

Arcane
For the most part when people are talking about good pixel art they point to games like metal slug, any lucas arts adventure game of the 90s or any game that has a high detailed art in general. For the most part those games sprites and backgrounds were hand drawn then scanned into art attests at a shitty resolution. Now I'm not saying that it's 'not pixel art' but rather to make good pixel art you have to have a good artists in the first place. They weren't trying to make good 'pixel art' but good art in general but were stuck with terrible resolution displays. If they had the technology back then, and assuming that they wouldn't go right ahead to make 3d art instead, the art would look more like it would fit in a animated flim.

Yes, like in that last MS3 pic I posted. Look at the background, it's way too soft and blended to be done in program.

What I like about 2D game art compared to animated films is the pixel texture (when fine like in MS3) and the fact that camera angles and objects are static. With the latter, they can afford to have complex and subtle shadings and details because the animation is limited to certain moving segments and even those parts area always seen from the same couple of angles. And they only have to render a part once and they can copy/paste it, so the quality is consistent. The mechanical nature of digital media also lends consistency, the pixel graph imposes a rigid guideline on the human hand working in that space. At a superficial glance, film/television animated figures have never looked as good as those in a Capcom fighter like Warzard in terms of consistency from frame to frame/pose to pose, anatomical detail, and rendering. It's another matter when you take complexities like camera angles into account though.

The pixels create an interesting surface (again, when they are fine enough). Surface grain in color art is something I find appealing. It helps soften the borders between tones. It gives you built in texture; most things in real life have texture to them or some kind of "grain." Even your skin has pores, bumps, divets, folicles, pigment grain. Other forms of painting have grain too, whether the grain of paper showing through watercolor, canvas through oil, or the dotty spray of an airbrush. In comparison, traditional 2D animation is hard looking. Flat.

And it's just its own look. Nothing else looks like good pixel art. It's a legitimate aesthetic imo.

Cadmus

Arcane
Most of the shit posted here looks like it was drawn by a child even if it's quite detailed. The "style" part of the art style is shit, like usual.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Agree 100% with Cassidy and Jarpie, oldschool 199X pixel art is goddamn beautiful, glorious Lucas Arts and Sierra adventure game pixel art, early 90s dungeon crawler pixel art, all of those are gorgeous as fuck. Modern indie pixel art is beautiful only in very few games (the games that are *actually* retro and try to emulate the old artstyles at low resolutions and 256 colors, rather than just going for the "lol I got pixels cause I'm hip" style that is in nowadays).

This shit is beautiful:
prim2.jpg

Screen5-S7Street_zps4009357c.png

Heroines-Quest.png

gemini-rue-2.jpg

6-a-tale-of-two-kingdoms.jpg

What games are these?
I only recognize the first.

Naraya

Arcane
Beautiful pixel art, like for example in Legend of Kyrandia games, always makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

I also wonder if I'm in the minority when it comes to emulation/DOSboxing - as in I never use any "advanced scalers/shaders" that in my opinion only distort the original. I only use "normal" scalers, which scale pixels in a linear fashion. Take a look here for example and tell me with a straight face that supersai or advmame looks good?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Like everything it depends on style, artistic merit, execution, talent and, yup, taste. The old Lucasarts adventures for instance are still amazing to look at.

One thing I couldn't help but notice is how 2d stuff like for instance pixel art has stood the test of time a lot better than most 3d art. Especially the earlier stuff where everything suddenly had to be rendered looks hideous today. Good art on the other hand is timeless.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Beautiful pixel art, like for example in Legend of Kyrandia games, always makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

I also wonder if I'm in the minority when it comes to emulation/DOSboxing - as in I never use any "advanced scalers/shaders" that in my opinion only distort the original. I only use "normal" scalers, which scale pixels in a linear fashion. Take a look here for example and tell me with a straight face that supersai or advmame looks good?

Sometimes I use hq3x and it works great, like the Quest for Glory 2 remake.

qfg2.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:lol:

Yeah, looks awesome, for when you feel the need for multicolored shit smeared on your monitor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom