Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you get annoyed at the state of RPGs?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Skyrim and Witcher 3 are the biggest 'rpg's in the world at the moment, yet are barely even RPGs. Yet stuff like DoS, Blackguards, and whatever else gets relegated to tiny indie budgets or scraping for kickstarter pennies. Does that annoy you? I feel pretty cheated.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I get really annoyed with RPGs. They just sit on my screen and stay there. They can't even do basic things like get me a glass of water.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Personally I enjoy my l33t patrician taste not being mainstream. Makes me feel like a big man.
I don't mind if I still get good games sometimes, it doesn't really matter if they are mainstream or not. But I just don't feel satisfied by the situation. I don't think we get enough RPGs, and they don't have big enough budgets. I really shouldn't have to be playing 1 man 2d indie shit like TOME4 in this day and age just because I'm so desperate for some tactical combat. DoS was pretty good, it was a decent length, decent depth, and it had nice graphics but that is one in a million. Mostly I get games like Aarklash which are fun but tiny in length and a bit thin in depth, or I end up replaying old games for the millionth time.

Real RPGs seem to get a budget of a dollar, and then shit like Skyrim gets a budget of a thousand billion dollars, and there is nothing in between. Dragon Age Inquisiton... the graphics in that game are unbelievable, and the voice acting budget must be higher than the entire budget of most tactical RPGs. I feel like there should be more stuff like Drakensang and Blackguards that holds some kind of middle ground. I thought Dragon Age Origins might have achieved this but they went the typical EA route.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Personally I enjoy my l33t patrician taste not being mainstream. Makes me feel like a big man.
I don't mind if I still get good games sometimes, it doesn't really matter if they are mainstream or not. But I just don't feel satisfied by the situation. I don't think we get enough RPGs, and they don't have big enough budgets. I really shouldn't have to be playing 1 man 2d indie shit like TOME4 in this day and age just because I'm so desperate for some tactical combat. DoS was pretty good, it was a decent length, decent depth, and it had nice graphics but that is one in a million. Mostly I get games like Aarklash which are fun but tiny in length and a bit thin in depth, or I end up replaying old games for the millionth time.

Real RPGs seem to get a budget of a dollar, and then shit like Skyrim gets a budget of a thousand billion dollars, and there is nothing in between. Dragon Age Inquisiton... the graphics in that game are unbelievable, and the voice acting budget must be higher than the entire budget of most tactical RPGs. I feel like there should be more stuff like Drakensang and Blackguards that holds some kind of middle ground. I thought Dragon Age Origins might have achieved this but they went the typical EA route.

Divinity: Original Sin really is a great game. I'm playing it now for the first time and I'm really enjoying it. Much better than Skyrimjob. Do I wish these type of games were more popular? Sure. I'd like more of them too, but the great thing about most of these games is that they're so much more open-ended than most everything being released that you can replay them for years, this includes older games in the genre as well. We've got plenty of great crpgs to play while the plebs suck Todd's dick.

Epsilon

Cipher
Generally it's not something I think a lot about. As I play other games than RPGs, such as roguelikes, and shoot em ups on arcade emulators. And over the course of a few years, I've managed to overcome my hatred for jrpgs, and can view them as action adventure games, this enables me to enjoy them based on those qualities, and not qualities that I'd expect to find in RPGs. And theres a huge backlog of those kinda games that I've yet to try. Then theres all the replays I can do of classic games, again a huge library to choose from. C64, Amiga, DOS. etc.
When I feel the need to see what the kids are doing these days, I go and buy the latest and greatest, such as Witcher 3. And play that a bit. Then come off that, with a renewed appreciation for the classic RPGs I have.
The best RPG experiences I've had from new games in recent years have been from games that weren't marketed as RPG's, like Mount and Blade: Warband, Crusader Kings 2.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Skyrim and Witcher 3 are the biggest 'rpg's in the world at the moment, yet are barely even RPGs. Yet stuff like DoS, Blackguards, and whatever else gets relegated to tiny indie budgets or scraping for kickstarter pennies. Does that annoy you? I feel pretty cheated.

Larger budget = more chance to be shit. I find myself enjoying indies for the most part.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Then loudly cried the bold Sir Bedivere:
"Ah! my Lord Arthur, whither shall I go?
Where shall I hide my forehead and my eyes?
For now I see the true old times are dead,
When every morning brought a noble game,
And every game brought out a noble knight.
Such times have been not since the light that led
The holy Elders with the gift of myrrh.
But now the whole Round Table is dissolved
Which was an image of the mighty world,
And I, the last, go forth companionless,
And the days darken round me, and the years,
Among new men, strange faces, other minds."

And slowly answer'd Arthur from the barge:
"The old order changeth, yielding place to new,
And God fulfils himself in many ways,
Lest one RPG should corrupt the world.

Tennyson, Idylls of the King

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Instead if getting worked up at the current state, I play or replay the classics or play user-made stuff.
One good thing about the the current time is that so many old games are now more readily avilable than 10+ years ago.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I'd say fucking disgusted more than annoyed, you get modern games that can't even match feature set on a quarter century past, not to mention being designed far worse mechanically, an exploring themes or telling their stories in a far more clumsy fashion. By now we should have and expect far more from RPGs as standard, but what do we get when dev inevitably streamlines their game even more, can't implement common place features or decides to cater to wider audience wi accessibility? Fans cheer em on an demand less and less, they must be fucking pissin emsens laughin at us gullible cunts.

Harumph!

boot

Prophet
AAA rpgs are all lightweight boring waste of HD space, and our supposed saviors are paupers chasing pennies.

I'd say fucking disgusted more than annoyed

:bro:

I doubt we will ever see a heavy RPG with modern graphix and all the shiny shit and polish that goes with it. Like others are saying, I mostly just play old games now.

why should I fund this "retro" game when I can just play an older one made by professionals who held themselves to a certain standard? Why play your uninspired game with placeholder art when I can just go straight to the source?

I'd find them less offensive if they weren't begging, I guess. If they just admitted they were hobbyists and went for slower dev cycles (say, 20+ years) you guys would be a real hit in my book.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Siege of Dragonspear bears some semblance to the classics.

Underrail and Age of Decadence weren't as monocled as SoD, but at least they tried.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

For the most part I'm impressed we have what we have.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well both Skyrim and Witcher 3 are good games that i have replayed.Most people here are just hating them because they are popular(mainstream). Don't get me wrong both games have problems and shitty mechanics,but so does most RPG games out there.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Yes. This has been my thing for like 17 years. Just look at how real rpgs are treated by so called rpg fans? They shit on them and go play games that they think are rpgs like metal Gear and Monkey balls. Or even worse - they watch other people play these games over the internet.

Ash

Arcane
RPGs? What about gaming in general, no matter the genre? Shit's a disgrace. Everything I once loved is gone, yet I hold out for that very rare very good or somewhat good modern game, when really I should just let go. There's little left to love.
:negative:

Just stick to the classics and explore old games you missed. There's a lot of old games, and new content for them in the form of mods. Not all is lost.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Well both Skyrim and Witcher 3 are good games that i have replayed.Most people here are just hating them because they are popular(mainstream). Don't get me wrong both games have problems and shitty mechanics,but so does most RPG games out there.

They are not good rpgs by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, one of them forces you to play a completely established character. These are action games with rpg lite elements. And also filthy console trash for fucking idiot console monkeys with no taste and less brains.

And what is the reason real rpgs that aren't hipster fodder (and aren't even real rpgs) are completely shit on and hated and far less popular on a fucking rpg site?

SniperHF

Arcane

Considering that in 2010 I couldn't even play such relegated games because they mostly didn't exist? Yeah I'm pretty happy with it.

Also this is like a Roqua thread made by someone else :lol:. I see he's already arrived.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom