Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity series retrospective

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Mostly good points, but the author is a bit too young and brainwashed by the SJWs, he thinks the games are full of "rampant racism" because elves hate dwarves and dwarves hate elves. Also he rants a lot on the "treatment of women" at the end of the first video.

But otherwise, a lot of good points are made. He actually studied all the lore and bought that faggy book by Rhianna Pratchett that is supposed to connect the first two games and set up the stage for the whole franchise.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Series went from slightly above average diablo clones with mild C&C to rpgkino, and masterpieces that sometimes surpass cherished old classics. :salute:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mostly good points, but the author is a bit too young and brainwashed by the SJWs, he thinks the games are full of "rampant racism" because elves hate dwarves and dwarves hate elves. Also he rants a lot on the "treatment of women" at the end of the first video.

But otherwise, a lot of good points are made. He actually studied all the lore and bought that faggy book by Rhianna Pratchett that is supposed to connect the first two games and set up the stage for the whole franchise.

Book sold separately? I got it with a boxed copy of Beyond Divinity.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Series went from slightly above average diablo clones with mild C&C to rpgkino, and masterpieces that sometimes surpass cherished old classics. :salute:
divine Divinity is always more than a diablo clone imo. They tried so much making the simulation part it ended up working in most places. I always hated diablo esque arpg but i endured it for DD because hwo great the game is. I can divide the game into 2 part, dungeon crawling and combat part where it take place in the wild, or caves. The most boring part of the game filled with banal combat and useless trashmob and diablo esque loot (another mechanics that i hate so much too)

Then there is social interaction part in towns and settlement when you do wacky quest. Talk with wacky people, steal from shops and get whacked by wacky guards. That is where divine divinity shine.

Then there is beyond divinity. Such an interesting concept bogged down by shitty mechanics. I just stopped halfway because of how boring it is. The combat is even worse and there are less civilization and more fighty crawly.

Divinity 2 is such an odd gem. Great quests, great social interaction and lots of interesting character. One of the best use of mind reading ability. That mind readinv mechanics is what the watcher ability in pillars of eternity should have and could have beenToo bad it kinda fell apart in the end when we just assault flying fortress 90% of the time.

Flames of vengeance brought back the civilization exploring by making it take place in a city and it was awesome.

Never played dragin commander

Original sin is where it shines in mechanic. But fell short in humor and writing. Despite never been a serious company, dd and d2 had a great part here and there, or wacky scenario that somehow work amd turned out pretty good. Few good one liner joke etc. I almost dont see anything like that in original sin. The story started out interesting with a murder investigations, but ended up in your usual saving the world from evil magic and your characters are the chosen one stuff.

Overall, combat is great, but still bogged down by swen's insistence on having color coded random, level scaled loot. I widh he would change his mind about that in future games.

Severian Silk

Overrated. Larian stories are always derpy and meaningless. Combat in DOS was good except for the gimmicky elemental shit and the fact that you couldn't turn around in a full circle without bumping into skeletons or wolves just standing there doing nothing. I wish they had spread the game over multiple bigger maps. Exploration sucked! Game world just did not make sense...

I've never played a good Diablo clone. How trendy does your company have to be to want to make a Diablo clone?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Ugh, Divine Divinity is not a diablo clone. Its a proper RPG and has much more going for it than Diablo.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Ugh, Divine Divinity is not a diablo clone. Its a proper RPG and has much more going for it than Diablo.
Yeah. Diablo was just a glorified Nethack clone with lots of random dungeons and trash combat. I only ever played for an hour or two when my brother had it, but youtube confirms it. Fuck me, it's even worse than I remember.

DivDiv combat is still shit but at least there are some enemies you can't just mow down, starting with the Skeletal Conjurers below the first village. Writing is ok, better than D:OS. Programming is solid, full-featured, only a few minor bugs. Art & atmosphere are fantastic. This is *almost* a golden age masterpiece.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Why was the combat trash? I found it enjoyable. Fast paced hack and slash.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Why was the combat trash? I found it enjoyable. Fast paced hack and slash.
:what:

The very definition of trash combat. Mindless click-to-win button mashing. Or easy but time-consuming random encounters in turn-based rpgs, notably Spiderweb's.

Not sure which game you're talking about but Diablo and DivDiv both have it in spades.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Why is it trash combat by default just because its hack and slash? There are different enounters/enemies/spells/skills which make it interesting enough. Its not button mashing since you can click once on an enemy to attack it. Talking about DivDiv.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Is it interesting when you're mobbed by 20 skeletons?
Is it interesting to kill 100 lizard mages & assassins on the road to the dwarven halls?
Would the game be worse if there was only 1 battle along that road?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've never played a good Diablo clone. How trendy does your company have to be to want to make a Diablo clone?

There was a video that was packaged along with the Developers Cut of Divinity 2 in which that go into a lot of detail about the pressure they were under from the publisher to make the game more and more like Diablo. They say in it that their passion and ambition has always been with glorious turn-based

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Oh man, this guy. Been a while but I remember a lot of yelling and nitpicking.

As for the games:

- I remember he said that the story of Divinity 1 was very clichéd. Point, but they their yarn solid enough and it holds up well enough. As does the game, although it is very clunky.

- Still need to play through Beyond Divinity.

- Divinity 2 is still fun and I was never bothered by the ending. I thought of it more like the "Empire strikes back" and the rest was fine ... except Damians stupidity. I guess they had to cut even more out than planned and the writer (they only had one) was still juggling with fitting solutions to this. That's why our Evil Overlord is such an idiot (my solution would have been, to just cut out two of his four appearances).

- The Dragon Commander-Video was a lot of "bla", but the game wasn't very polished, that's true (except for the table. I loved the table). Still good enough.

- His rant over Original Sin was complete bullshit, though. I stopped after "the whole game is a betrayal to the fanbase". Yeah, yeah screw this.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Tried again to watch a significant amount of any of the videos, but the guy has a seriously annoying voice and the amount of hiss the shitty microphone is picking up is really grating

Also "...my fellow gamers..." :hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom