Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
First we must define "RPG" "complex".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"It's not complex. It's simple. DEAL. WITH. IT."

Complexity is best derived from the interaction of simple mechanics.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd like to ask you guys, how does the Coop connection works in the GOG version? When the game was released the Steam version was superior in this regard, because you could easily join in to others, while you had to fiddle around with IPs and shit in the GOG version.

SniperHF

Arcane
I'd like to ask you guys, how does the Coop connection works in the GOG version? When the game was released the Steam version was superior in this regard, because you could easily join in to others, while you had to fiddle around with IPs and shit in the GOG version.

It's still the same. Galaxy support and easier online play has been mentioned as a possibility for the EE but not yet confirmed. And since Galaxy is still a bit of a clusterfuck anyway...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
goons.txt

I just hope they change the one part in the mines with the death walker dudes. I get tough fights, and its going to happen and be challenging. But the part where they are invulnerable and chase you forever was just dumb and time consuming. It was silly you had to cheese it to even get by and I don't know why they even included that.

I'm a big fan of this game, but this was one of several times I looked on the Internet to make sure I wasn't doing things wrong, and it'd be a better game if those moments were eliminated.

I guess it's a good thing Larian doesn't cater to this particular group. :)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'm a big fan of this game, but this was one of several times I looked on the Internet to make sure I wasn't doing things wrong, and it'd be a better game if those moments were eliminated.
200.gif

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I guess it's a good thing Larian doesn't cater to this particular group. :)

In your Codex pandering/trolling you conveniently left out another goon's response to that though:

I dunno. I liked that there really wasn't a right way for some things and you had to come up with your own solutions.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
In your Codex pandering/trolling you conveniently left out another goon's response to that though:
But those guys are the minority over at SA, most of them are a bunch of breaindead moronic mouthbreathers who couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah that's like quoting a Sensuki reply in their PoE thread or a Volourn reply on the Codex. :)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I already pointed out, if stuff keeps happening as it does now, it's good. Console to PC is different than PC to console. Console games are designed to be playable with a pad with a few buttons. Design+gameplay able to play on the imprecision and slowness of two thumbsticks. It's easy peasy to get them on the vastly superior M/KB of a PC. On PC you have other systems running in a different way, at different speeds, with other layers of complexity. If future projects are like this one, good. A proper PC game, in every sense, then ported and adjusted for consoles years later. Perfect. But do you think it will be like this ? Aren't there enough examples over the years? They're gonna take the shortcut, most likely. So many games fucked after they went from pure PC to multiplatform, Invisible War and Deadly Shadows which probably started the "consolisation" term. Supreme Commander, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Crysis, Unreal Tournament, FEAR, etc. God, they made Commandos a PS2/original xbox FPS after the ground breaking trilogy for PC, which made history.

So again, if us PC gamers won't suffer because of their new found love for pads, consoles and couch gaming, good. Nothing lost. But after i read how Swen doesn't even game on PC but likes consoles, the team at Larian realized over night how awesome couch gaming with pads is, what hope should i have. Are you confident their next game is going to be a thoroughbred PC game or some Dragon Age 2 nonsense ?
There's a difference between real-time games and turn-based games. Only thing using a gamepad will do for DOS is make selecting things slower/clunkier, since you can't hotkey stuff, and click on stuff. But since when did the actual gameplay of DOS depend on precision and speed?

Couch gaming might be neat for DOS because I can show my friends what a CRPG is like. As in, something with more interesting gameplay than Final Fantasies.

Actually, couch gaming is useful when you, uh, want to have fun with a friend in person. Good shooting gameplay? Nah. Being able to punch your friend in the shoulder when he fucks up? Yup.

And yes, obviously non-couch-gaming on a console is just dumb (excluding genres like fighting games, uh... sports, etc, I dunno).

I think the only reason I got a console was to play a game sitting next to friend(s).

(Also, for something like a shooter while a mouse is of course better for aiming, a thumbstick - like on the G13 - is useful for movement because it frees up your other fingers to get at hotkeys faster)

Deleted member 7219

I have friends but I don't want to sit next to them in a couch or sofa. That would be really fucking weird. Personal space, bro. Personal space.

Also, if my friends suggested I play with them a console rather than a PC I will rightly laugh in their faces.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I have friends but I don't want to sit next to them in a couch or sofa. That would be really fucking weird. Personal space, bro. Personal space.

Also, if my friends suggested I play with them a console rather than a PC I will rightly laugh in their faces.

Not everyone has aspergers you know. Also you can keep your personal space just fine with wireless controllers unless you find people sitting in the same room as you uncomfortable, which would be even weirder.

I think the splitscreen solution is fucking great especially for introducing "outsiders" to the genre, really looking forward to playing it with my girl on a big screen

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
@ Jimmious: Eep! I've been corrected, it seems steam controller is not necessarily compatible with the Enhanced Edition. Sorry about that.

Dozens of couch gamers are squealing in disappointment.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not everyone has aspergers you know. Also you can keep your personal space just fine with wireless controllers unless you find people sitting in the same room as you uncomfortable, which would be even weirder.

I think the splitscreen solution is fucking great especially for introducing "outsiders" to the genre, really looking forward to playing it with my girl on a big screen
Isnt it distracting that there are different music and sound effects playing on the two screens?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Isnt it distracting that there are different music and sound effects playing on the two screens?

Why should there be different music? I think there will be a priority system for track selection and then there will be only one track played at one time. Sound effects, we'll have to see how they handle it, but i guess the only problem will be voice over if there are 2 dialogues held seperately.

Larian aint dumb folks. They have created a great coop solution for D:os, im pretty sure they will deliver again.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Why should there be different music? I think there will be a priority system for track selection and then there will be only one track played at one time. Sound effects, we'll have to see how they handle it, but i guess the only problem will be voice over if there are 2 dialogues held seperately.

Larian aint dumb folks. They have created a great coop solution for D:os, im pretty sure they will deliver again.
Ok, ok, I just thought that when the 2 characters are exploring 2 different parts of a map, there could be different sounds and music at some places.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom