Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Last edited:

JasonNH

Augur
He wasn't, there's someone from Larian whose name is Kirill (or maybe Kiro) with them at E3 (he's in the Larian E3 behind-the-scenes videos). Kiro answered the phone and passed to Farhang.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

otsego

Cipher
xgmhs7.jpg

Swen is an extremely cool fella.

Rupuka

Novice
When I want to fight, I fight.
I didn't know fighting is using "action points" and pressing buttons, in fact, is almost like "fighting" in the game is nothing like actual fighting, but some kind of abstract representation that is as close to real fights as rock, paper and scissor. Next time, in a fight, I'm gonna ask the other guy to wait for his turn.

Any interaction with an in-game system ultimately boils down to a certain layer of abstraction; that wasn't the point, though. It is with persuasion where this gap is the largest not only in terms of quantity but quality as well.

Probably unhappy with the rather static nature of dialogue skill checks, they implemented a more involving, if abhorrently inelegant, solution. I wish they'd have used their new writing resources to introduce various states of persuasion checks for each quest with thoroughly diverse outcomes (to justify putting points into something that is more often than not a simple non-combat way of getting experience and items), and remove the mini-game entirely.

Perkel

Arcane
Because human interaction is too complex for video games to simulate correctly it has been often replaced by either a dice roll (classic RPGs) or a dumb fucking minigame (Oblivion). Larian is merging the past and the present by making a luck-based minigame.

It is not entirely luck based. You have skills and the more skill you have the easier it is for you to win.
Some NPCs later have like 5-6 points of headstart and can win in one round if you didn't invest in skills.

Is RPS dumb ? generally yes. But you can hit space and you have in summary diceroll which is based like RPS game on skills.

Idea isn't entirely dumb though. It only popup in conflicting opinion not in general gameplay for players it is quick to solve problem which way players will go and still takes character skills into play.

Still would love to see other solution for problem above than dumb RPS.

DraQ

Arcane
Can't believe that interviewer was calling Swen, Kirill. :cry:

He wasn't, there's someone from Larian whose name is Kirill (or maybe Kiro) with them at E3 (he's in the Larian E3 behind-the-scenes videos).
I'm sure someone named Kirill will always be with Larian. :salute: :cry:

When I want to fight, I fight.
I didn't know fighting is using "action points" and pressing buttons, in fact, is almost like "fighting" in the game is nothing like actual fighting, but some kind of abstract representation that is as close to real fights as rock, paper and scissor. Next time, in a fight, I'm gonna ask the other guy to wait for his turn.
Umm, nope.
The act of fighting is still clearly identifiable as fighting. You position your party, execute individual attacks, etc.
Turns are just an abstraction of continuous flow of time for the sake of control and APs represent quanta of this time.

RPS, OTOH is not in any way identifiable as the act of persuading someone as opposed to anything else.

Also,
flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Is RPS dumb ? generally yes. But you can hit space and you have in summary diceroll which is based like RPS game on skills.
Except that's not a real option as the diceroll seems to be weighted in opponent's favor and you can generally beat the AI at minigame as it uses identifiable patterns. So you are stuck playing derpy minigame all the time, because to do otherwise would be to willingly fail.
Still would love to see other solution for problem above than dumb RPS.
Coin toss option if players can't resolve the conflict verbally outside of game's mechanics.

Stabbey

Learned
Except that's not a real option as the diceroll seems to be weighted in opponent's favor.

It depends on the way you try to persuade someone. A lot of the time, an NPC will be more susceptible if you pick the option that's right for the situation. For instance, Roberto the gravedigger is much more willing to listen to reason than anything else, so if you select the "Reason" dialogue option and hit space, you're highly likely to win the argument. (It's not 100%, as there is still a dice roll and so a chance for failure remains.)

Even situations which seem weighed in an opponent's favor are not guaranteed. Once I even managed to Charm the lady in the bath by hitting the spacebar, and that's normally a really hard argument to win.

Rupuka

Novice
Umm, nope.
The act of fighting is still clearly identifiable as fighting. You position your party, execute individual attacks, etc.
In a real fight you don't mind control your "party", "execute" powers (and moves having cooldowns makes zero sense outside of balance) nor survive a arrow to the head because of remaining "hit points"
Turns are just an abstraction...
So not like actual fights? Glad that we agree

The idea that a turn-based RPG is anything like fighting is completely ludicrous, is like saying chess is similar to an actual war. But more importantly, it doesn't need to be. The crafting system is anything but real crafting, you start with the materials, do a couple of clicks, and get the resulting item; literally skipping any actual crafting, but you are perfectly fine with that and not asking for something like this because crafting is boring as hell and you don't really want to craft, and you don't want to fight, real fights are boring, chaotic, not flashy and normally end really fast.
What you want is to play a video game, but outside of simulators, video games are nothing like the activities in them, and that's great because we can have interesting mechanic instead. So why persuasion in game should be like persuasion? If you don't like the RPS minigame because is not an interesting mechanic, that's fine, but saying is bad because is nothing like real persuasion, unlike the crafting system (in which you don't craft), or the (turn based, "gamey") fights, is a really inane argument.

If you want to fight, you fight
If you want to to craft, you craft
If you are playing a video game, you don't want either of them

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

E3 is over, and it's competition time! To be in with a chance to win one of the 5 completely unique, hand-illustrated t-shirts that the guys were wearing at E3, all you have to do is watch the video below and guess how many times Farhang said "Divinity" while rampaging through E3, trying to convince people to play our game?

Just send your entries to info@larian.com, and make sure you mention "T-Shirt Competition" in the email subject.

This update also includes Angry Joe's thoughts on Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition and Farhanging out with Kratos!

Cnaiur

Augur
That Farhang looks like an awesome bro to drink some beers with.

As a colleague I'd probably kill him within a week though.

Athelas

Arcane
If they change all the character portraits to animu faces, they can market it as a jRPG.

pippin

I don't think they can "lose" too much if the console port does not perform as intended. I'd say it's just extra money at this point, which can only be good. I'm wary about all this "one rpg per year" and opening studios in other countries stuff, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom