Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Stabbey

Learned
Swen took the time to reply to some comments on his blog.

Swen Vincke said:
Our core problem in updating the toolset it is that you need to have the latest engine to take advantage of the new features in it (which are supported in EE), so a bit of patience will be required.

Whether that actually means it'll be easier possible to work with, I don't know.

Various people said:
A console version means that the game will be dumbed down! Less dialogue and a consolized interface will be forced on people!

Swen Vincke said:
We really focussed on improving things - not dumbing things down. It's hard to explain without people actually having played the Enhanced Edition, but I hope player will recognise it once they get in their hands. Won't be that long.

Swen Vincke said:
There's actually more dialogue now. A lot of the dialogue that bored people came from a generic dialogue system which in hindsight was a bad idea but did allow us to take shortcuts. The extra dialogue/rewritten dialogue dominantly serves to add more personality to the inhabitants of Rivellon or obviously to set up the new quests etc... Also - the voice does do a lot to the immersion level of the game. You might be surprised.

Swen Vincke said:
Tbh, I don't see how we could even consider having the same interface on platforms that are so different. We already made them very different when making DKS.

Swen Vincke said:
No - you'll need a controller [to play split-screen].

Swen Vincke said:
The story in D:OS imho suffered from cuts that we had to make. We've tried to fix that now and in general you should find that the important protagonists/antagonists have a lot more going for them now. For people who'll replay or first time players, that will make the narrative experience a lot better. That doesn't mean that for people who are playing D:OS there's isn't plenty to enjoy. There probably will be some even that prefer the D:OS version over the enhanced edition story.

Swen Vincke said:
There are actually quite a lot of systemic improvements and we'll be talking a lot about them in the coming months.

We did much more than I think people expect on the Enhanced Edition. Given the level of development that went into it, it was impossible for our team to support both the "old" version of D:OS as wel as the Enhanced Edition.

Sadly that meant there was no perfect solution for the Linux version. I think we took the best possible path even if I know we're not going to win any brownie points for it. But we are making it and we are investing a lot in it. Once it's there running well, I hope we'll be forgiven. I also hope we're going to break even on it as the middleware joke made it a lot more expensive operation than we anticipated.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Swen Vincke said:
Tbh, I don't see how we could even consider having the same interface on platforms that are so different. We already made them very different when making DKS.

Still this is what most competitors do, ui design and controls fully based on consoles, then clumsily patch in shitty crap barely functioning pc controls at the last moment.

Perkel

Arcane
Swen Vincke said:

Actions not words Swen. I want to see it. Until then concerns won't vanish.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
DKS on console

NvDFK1v.jpg
KoJvRNo.jpg

DKS on PC

3j5DHCp.jpg
Kb8rYMM.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pretend I posted "Dragon Age Inquisition on console" "Dragon Age Inquisition on PC" screenshots here. :P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Having the Steam retail disc only saved me from having to download 1.4 gb. :) Better'n nothing, and I'm sure Wasteland 2 is even worse about how much I would have to download.

I guess it worked out for the best, considering if I had opted for the DRM-free disc I wouldn't have the fixes and balance tweaks from the last two patches. I look forward to proving myself right or being pleasantly surprised.

Atchodas

Augur
Anyone know how Larian is going to change Traits system ? I mean game is nice and such playing it again now and i hope for EE to make it perfect but , arguing with myself in dialogues and reloading 5 times so i get the backstab trait and exp for the quest is kinda annoying , i wish they implement something like an option setting in PoE where i could see what dialogue choice what trait gives, atleast on dialogues between your two characters . Also is the rock paper crap staying in the game or ?

It really sux when i have either to reload many times to get the right trait or to make one of my characters weaker than another one intentionally so i dont have to do these dialogues .

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well the game is centered around the concept of co-op so maybe that's why you find it weird playing it alone. Try finding someone to play it with

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stating facts is part of the Codex I believe
D:OS is pretty good single player but it's the best 2 player co-op CRPG ever as well.

Atchodas

Augur
well autists like you and other guy cant argue with anyone not even themselves so w/e also very neat word picking same if i picked letters A-U-T-I-S-T from your post, anyway Its not about solo or co-op and never was only for one retard who thinks suggesting me to go Co-Op when i ask about Option to see Traits is okay...
i just believe that Dialogue should not be tied with Combat Traits , and if it is then there should be an option that you can turn on to see them , writers were not even native English speakers and i think they wrote the game in their native language and translated it to english so it is not always clear what they are implying with a dialogue , thats why there should be a simple option for enhanced EE , i hope it will be there anyone knows for sure if it will?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
So they fully voice acted the game because the console tards can't be bothered with reading?I don't get why would they do this,it's a waste of time and it's not like the game deserves it.I get it when a storyline is good,trow some good voice acting here and there,but for this piece of shit?
What a waste of time and money...

SniperHF

Arcane
So they fully voice acted the game because the console tards can't be bothered with reading?I don't get why would they do this,it's a waste of time and it's not like the game deserves it.I get it when a storyline is good,trow some good voice acting here and there,but for this piece of shit?
What a waste of time and money...

My guess is the additional VA is 100% funded by Focus as part of the deal. They probably wanted to do it more than Larian though I'm sure they were happy to accept. Also fully voiced characters has the happy side benefit of necessitating the removal of the garbage generic dialog system for random NPCs.

sbb

Learned
Bear in mind I only made it like an hour into Silverglen, but I thought all the Cyseal chapter's writing was pretty good. Obviously it was written silly, but I still engaged with it and took it 7/10 seriously.

thesoup

Arcane
Bear in mind I only made it like an hour into Silverglen, but I thought all the Cyseal chapter's writing was pretty good. Obviously it was written silly, but I still engaged with it and took it 7/10 seriously.
Stahp playing and wait for the EE like me and evdk.

sbb

Learned
Stahp playing and wait for the EE like me and evdk.
I stopped playing months ago, couldn't run it so I'm probably just going to concede and get it on the PS4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom