Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
  • FREE for errone who already owns DOS
errone.jpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I hate to be reposting the same shit over again, but I am getting pretty tired of paying for beta-testing games.

This is why Grimoire will be the best RPG, it's in the making since 20 years, no game ever have achieved or will achieve this kind of polish.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Swen Vincke said:
I’ll give you one example in Original Sin. That rule that you should be able to kill everybody and still be able to finish the game is still very much a thing. I have to fight with designers all the time to keep it but it’s at the very core of how you make a multiplayer RPG the way we’re doing it. But that very rule means that freedom is present. You might not use that freedom, and 99% of players never will, but you know that you can. The fact that you know that makes you feel that your actions matter much more.

:love:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
early access - first playable build
release - alpha
release + day 1 patch - beta
release + three months of patching - gold
enhanced edition - actual release

In all seriousness, I think this is only true if your standards for "actual release" are very high (ie, every game release should be like a super-polished engine reusing sequel with tons of content). I mean, come on, there are plenty of more traditionally developed games that aren't as impressive as D:OS was on release.

Perkel

Arcane
They're porting the game to consoles. It probably goes without saying that there'll be GUI changes.

Somehow i doubt they will do two different UIs for consoles and for PC... welcome list menus hahaha and mouse lag. We can't have list menu without mouse lag.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Swen Vincke said:
There’s still a long road that we can take there and that’s where we’ll be concentrating for the next game. We had two writers for Original Sin and we have seven now. There’s probably an eighth writer coming in which shows where our focus has shifted. A lot of the hires have been made to strengthen our storytelling and worldbuilding.
Good news for all you storyfags out there I suppose.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Good, maybe now the writing of original sin won't be written by 7 year old nephew.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In all seriousness, I think this is only true if your standards for "actual release" are very high (ie, every game release should be like a super-polished engine reusing sequel with tons of content). I mean, come on, there are plenty of more traditionally developed games that aren't as impressive as D:OS was on release.

DU disagrees http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...dcore-mode-overview.95991/page-3#post-3659019 :P

O_o That's pretty random. But fitting, because like you, he hasn't actually played it

Renevent

Cipher
Awesome news...I was thinking of starting up another game of D:OS :)

Looking forward to hearing more about the actual changes/additions as well.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I like how they've admitted that they story suck and that they are going to rewrite them. It's very rare for a developer to actually do that. Fargo didn't say anything about rewriting Wasteland 2 despite glaring plotholes in the game. In fact I don't recall any Dev who was mature enough to admit that the story wasn't good enough and needs a few rewrites. Bioware (and the press) got massively butthurt when people suggested it. This is what I like about Larian, despite of how much their games suck in some departments I just can't force myself to dislike the people behind them.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I got sudden urge to play this in light of the news, yet I don't want to play it before those are added.

Dese first world problems are terrible.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I like how they've admitted that they story suck and that they are going to rewrite them. It's very rare for a developer to actually do that. Fargo didn't say anything about rewriting Wasteland 2 despite glaring plotholes in the game. In fact I don't recall any Dev who was mature enough to admit that the story wasn't good enough and needs a few rewrites. Bioware (and the press) got massively butthurt when people suggested it. This is what I like about Larian, despite of how much their games suck in some departments I just can't force myself to dislike the people behind them.
Larian seems to be the only developer that is sincere about hearing feedback, it could be that they weren't part of gamming corp culture for long and actually weren't poisoned by it but the other kickstarer developers do versions of "I know better, these peasants don't know what they are talking about." to "sure, we are listening to you but even if we had a beta period for months and for months you said what the problems of the game were, we just ignored you anyway." I get developers under publisher contracts can't criticize the product but the arrogant way some kickstarter developers behave show they didn't leave the bad habits when they worked for publishers when they make kickstarter games. Being arrogant pricks isn't the right way to improve your product and I can guess I will have more fun with this enhanced edition than certain other big kickstartarted RPGs.

Stabbey

Learned
I hate to be reposting the same shit over again, but I am getting pretty tired of paying for beta-testing games.

Larian held off on releasing D:OS until their company was literally out of money and Swen had to jet off to find an emergency loan to pay off other loans. I'm sure they would love to have been able to wait until it was completely fantastic, but the realities of cash flow dictate otherwise.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Larian held off on releasing D:OS until their company was literally out of money and Swen had to jet off to find an emergency loan to pay off other loans. I'm sure they would love to have been able to wait until it was completely fantastic, but the realities of cash flow dictate otherwise.
I agree, I was too harsh. I know they were running on fumes and could not delay the release any longer. Also, I do agree that the game was in better shape than many other 'final' releases, and since EE is a free upgrade anyway, complaining about it is stupid.

But I have never finished D:OS because while some of its parts were really great (combat, exploration, presentation, interactivity), others (setting, quests, plot, characters, dialogue) were disappointing. After being invested so much in D:OS for so long, it just seems mind-boggling for me that the game is still not in its final form and it is hard to be excited about playing it sometime in the future. I think I am just burnt out on it.

The whole D:OS affair was an important lesson to me that has thought me never to pre-order games up-front again*, even if they seem really awesome, and that it is best to wait at least a year before playing something.

*The Witcher is an exception, because I am a fanboy since adolescence

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Fantastic news as far as I'm concerned! Played and finished 'vanilla' some months ago and I more or less loved it. Think I only had more fun while playing WL2 (yes, seriously) when it comes to these KS RPGs. The irrational part of me loves WL2 more, but the rational part wants to scream 'fuck that shit, D:OS GOTY 2014!':S Anyway, awesome!

Also, as long as these 'enhanced/goty' patches are free for the people that already bought the games, I'm good. Sure it would've been even better if they were absolutely perfect out of the gate, but hey, it is what it is.:S We all know how this shit works. At least they're doing something, for fuck's sake.:(

Last edited:

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I still have to complete it... Playing co-op and my friend and i only have almost no time to play. We should try to complete it before this patch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom