Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

hiver

Not that shit again....

how about talking about Linux version and actually important stuff, like editor support and modding support and upgrades to the game waiting for console versions and how much that will negatively affect the game for its core audience?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not that shit again....

how about talking about Linux version and actually important stuff, like editor support and modding support and upgrades to the game waiting for console versions and how much that will negatively affect the game for its core audience?
That would be too sane for an indie dev.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Very nice! And bound for a lot more.

What would be Larian's profit from those million copies? I read that Steam takes 30%, then investors to pay, various expanses,...?

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great news, would be interesting to know the profit for Larian as Kirkpatick says

Athelas

Arcane
0,7 x 40 x 1,000,000 = 28,000,000 - whatever cut the Belgian mobsters took.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Don't count every copy sold as $40. I bought it in Poland for 40 zloty which is currently around $19 according to google. And don't forget about the Russians - they always pay peanuts for games on Steam.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well, considering that Larian is opening a new studio... Swen must be happy with the money or developed suicide tendencies all of a sudden.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They are setting up *two* offices, in Quebec, Canada (a dev team) and Dublin, Ireland (a publishing team).

Darkzone

Arcane
0,7 x 40 x 1,000,000 = 28,000,000 - whatever cut the Belgian mobsters took.
It has also been on Steam sales, right? I guess I should go with 30.
You should go with $21 - $24 pro copy, because of the VAT. So $22,5 mio would be a good estimation and if you take the 3mio away for production costs, then you have a number between $18mio - $22mio.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand how it can be good business to start 2 new studios in other countries, just because you made some cash from one game. Seems like a crazy investment, and risky as hell.
Oh well, I hope Larian knows what they are doing.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I don't understand how it can be good business to start 2 new studios in other countries, just because you made some cash from one game. Seems like a crazy investment, and risky as hell.

One of them will be working on MMOs and F2P games, presumably.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I hate to be a naysayer, but this is going to be their ruin.

That or shitty writing, but it hasn't done them in yet.

Jezal_k23

Hardly anyone ever gives a shit about shitty writing. I mean, not saying that I don't, but just saying that most people genuinely don't care, or think Skyrim's writing is good, for example.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
publishing team in Ireland might be understood : minimal structure to minimize taxation in the EU (the usual strategy would be to have the Dublin publishing office sell the game at its retail price to the Belgian office, so that all profits are localized in Ireland, where taxation is lower). It might be for other reasons, but this move would be pretty standard in the EU.
Opening another dev studio, now, is a vastly different thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, FWIW, after startup costs, the Quebec studio should be cheaper to run than the original one

agris

Arcane
Patron
Well, FWIW, after startup costs, the Quebec studio should be cheaper to run than the original one
I think the real concern is remote studio and project management. That's an entirely different beast than what Sven is used to.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Don't they have Skype in Belgium? Just put a camera and a display in every room.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Aenra

Swen is pretty ..slick.. in his own way. And an effective slick at that. Time elapses, and you gotta wait for the next chip to fall into place prior to getting the grasp of things*. I would not entirely discard the possibility of his knowing (and endorsing) Thierry's answers in that piece.
In that light, i find this last interview a good sign. While Larian cannot afford to openly engage into an anti-SJW campaign, they can "prepare" the ground sort of speak for their next two titles. And i am mentioning this as it is not first time we get such hints, strategy-wise. I recall an excerpt from a Dragon Commander blog entry where we had similar attempts going (http://www.lar.net/2013/07/08/the-pitfalls-of-politics-ethics-in-video-games/). So there is some credence;

* example being his retrospect of Dragon Commander developing costs and more importantly, the time he decided to do it ^^

Pre-emptive market manipulation.. in order to make games.. the brave new world!
But anyway i look at it, i prefer this to Sawyer's tweeting "sorry, our publishers cannot check everything, we will remove offensive comment". It wasn't offensive Josh, stop giving in to these arseholes.

Infinitron if i may ask, have you or anyone else from the codex approached Larian? For an interview? If not, how likely would that be? Assuming you can answer me that is.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
18:12

:what:

He mentions common Codex knowledge. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom