Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Divinity: Original Sin To Be Partially Funded via Kickstarter

Indranys

Savant
Man I like Larian, I do.
Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 is silly but fun.
But I just can't throw more money into another KS campaigns.
All new shinny projects are appearing while my money is running out.
Wasteland and Throvalla (which was failed) is enough for me.
If PE, Shadowrun Returns, W2, and other KS funded games turn to be disappointment, I'll never back this thing again.
I'll collect my money to buy AoD, DARGHUL if it's released this year, and a few GoG cheap games.
That's all for this year.

Delterius

Arcane

Modron

Arcane
After reading the article, I would personally back this (now that I understand his reasons). I would actually like to see what Liarian could do with this (as in put more design/content/mechanics) in it.

I have been looking forward to Original Sin.

Same, and I will even probably pick up dragon commander on sale sometime as well even though I quit Div 2 right at the last dragon sequence.

Tigranes

Arcane
Glad to hear Larian aren't running out of money. He will have a lot of trouble communicating the contents of this blog to the wider world if he does a Kickstarter, though. There will be a lot of time and goodwill wasted in the back and forth with hundreds of thousands of potential backers + press going "ARE YOU BROKE? NO? WHY DO YOU WANT MONEY?" etc.

Severian Silk

DivDiv was OK, I don't regret playing it. But I'm not really looking forward to the next one.

:shrug:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I understand this as a challenge. What Sven is really saying, is "Send the most deranged individual you can find our way, we can handle it. ". Brave man, terrible judgement. Incidentally, where does Prosper reside?

Also Sven, since I now know you're going to read this, I distinctly remember a promise of Dragon Commander allowing the player to enslave nations with necromancy. Know, that if I buy it, and it turns out that feature had been cut, then there will be blood between us.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
DivDiv was OK, I don't regret playing it. But I'm not really looking forward to the next one.

:shrug:
Pretty much what I think. 'Meeeeh'.
I kind of enjoyed DD but I don't recall seeing much potential for making a game better than that.

EDIT: by that I don't meant DD was perfect. What I mean is that I do not see Larian posses much interest in achieving better writing, better design direction and creating more intricate games. For them, better games = bigger worlds, better graphics, immershun, etc. That's my impression.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
We should send Skyway to give a fair and balanced assessment of Divinity: Original Sin's worth as an RPG. Seriously, I'd even pay for his plane ticket.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I though people would have understood by now that kickstarer is not necessarily for broke studios or starting a project, but also to grab some cash in order to make the game as good as possible. Anyway, I as said earlier I'd be more than willing to give them a hand by pre-ordering, especially if it can help enhance the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Second, I don't recall Arcanum being released in an unfinished state. It was a flawed game and had a number of issues, but I can't think of a game that didn't have them.

Just a silly number of issues, just like all other games.

All other games ever released also happen to have Drog Patches made that fix gazillions upon gazillions of bad code, memory leaks, unused assets, bugs and other wacky things that take years to do and hundreds of updated new versions. And even still it doesn't fix some of the godawful design decisions.

Sorry, VD, but you are simply getting delusional in your old years. Putting up a shrine to Troika and loving everything they've ever released is one thing, but trying to say with a straight face that their games 'just had some issues found in all other games' is so shameless it borders on trolling. Troika games were all infuriatingly bugged and badly coded. Every. Single. One of them. And, coincidentally enough, every single one of them has superlong-running unofficial patch communities (Wesp for Bloodlines, Co8 for ToEE and Drog for Arcanum) that usually strongly advise every newcomer to apply said patches if they don't want to deal with CTDs, save game deletions and gamebreaking bugs.

But be my guest, keep living in your silly fantasy world where it's the evil publishers pirates traitors communists consoletards that solely caused the downfall of Troika. All other Aryan Ubermenschen had divine guidance and providence when playing those games and experienced no problems whatsoever (except a couple of issues, but bah, they were easily found in every game! EVERY GAME GODDAMMIT!!!).

On an unrelated note, I propose we send Gragt to Larian's HQ. He can bring his cousin with him for even more cred.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
I remember Bloodlines was literally unfinishable without using the console before it got patched.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Second, I don't recall Arcanum being released in an unfinished state. It was a flawed game and had a number of issues, but I can't think of a game that didn't have them.

Just a silly number of issues, just like all other games.

All other games ever released also happen to have Drog Patches made that fix gazillions upon gazillions of bad code, memory leaks, unused assets, bugs and other wacky things that take years to do and hundreds of updated new versions. And even still it doesn't fix some of the godawful design decisions.
Right. A game is considered unfinished until modders plug memory leaks, put unused assets to good use, and fix the "godawful design decisions". Makes perfect sense.

Sorry, VD, but you are simply getting delusional in your old years.
Looks like I'm not the only one, eh? Grab a rocking chair, Darth.

Putting up a shrine to Troika and loving everything they've ever released is one thing, but trying to say with a straight face that their games 'just had some issues found in all other games' is so shameless it borders on trolling. Troika games were all infuriatingly bugged and badly coded. Every. Single. One of them. And, coincidentally enough, every single one of them has superlong-running unofficial patch communities (Wesp for Bloodlines, Co8 for ToEE and Drog for Arcanum) that usually strongly advise every newcomer to apply said patches if they don't want to deal with CTDs, save game deletions and gamebreaking bugs.
Oh please. I played Arcanum quite a few times without Drog's patches. Don't recall any issues and certainly didn't give a fuck about the mirrored sprites. ToEE had issues, namely it liked to crash every now and then (probably 3-4 times per playthrough) and had some annoying things like not being able to craft exactly what needed. Bloodlines had a game breaking bug, but Troika posted a fix almost instantly. The rest worked fine. Not a single save game was deleted, so I'm not quite sure what horrors you're talking about here.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It was not relevant.
Really? You replied to my "DivDiv doesn't come close to Bloodlines" post, saying that Bloodlines combat was mediocre while DivDiv's combat was pretty decent. I asked what makes you think so and you quickly claimed that I'm side-tracking you and that it's not relevant.

So, again, how's backing up the very first statement you made not relevant? Not that I'm dying to know what you think about these games, to be honest.

Falls way short of what? Losing the point, are we, again? I said that Div2 is mechanically not too action-y, as stats matter in combat (I think) more-so than in VtmB (let's please not forget that VtmB is half FPS). That statement is not reflective of any kind of quality judgment on the game. Keep up, will you?
You asked why I didn't compare Div 2 to Bloodlines since Div 2's stats matter more. I replied that it still fell short despite the stats (i.e. stats dependency alone isn't enough to compare game). Are we done now?

I feel like you conflate 'RPG-ness' with the quality of a game. In that somehow an action RPG is naturally worse in objective quality than a non-action RPG. Given that I keep talking about difference in mechanics and somehow you spin that to harp on quality ...
You brought up the difference in mechanics in a conversation where these games were compared. If you want to discuss the difference in mechanics on its own, start another discussion in another thread.

hiver

Belgium huh?

I guess i could go... could be fun. Hiver in Bruges kind of a fing.
And then, the Amsterdam isnt far away from there.... hmm... a place where a man can properly relax and write up an interview and proper review of the whole scam.

meh, you are not ready for something so unorthodox.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm pretty sure it should be somebody on Codex staff and Trash is probably the closest, or possibly one of ze Germans.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Bruges is close (around 1 hour by train, more comfy than taking the car) but I'm no Codex staff, so I guess Trash would be the choice but he is a sodomite.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Larian is located in Ghent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom