Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Black

Arcane
Silly (but sometimes fatal for developers) Metacritic points.
How? They're self-publishing. They're not Obsidian getting fucked by bethesada a'la NV.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It was 5 mil KS proceeds when the game was already half baked. Probably closer to 8M invested I would think no? Anyone have closer to real numbers?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Silly (but sometimes fatal for developers) Metacritic points.
How? They're self-publishing. They're not Obsidian getting fucked by bethesada a'la NV.

Well, I didn't particularly refer to Larian but developers in general. Though it looks like Larian consider it as a major factor in terms of sales, whether it really is or not.

ars technica did an article in which they estimate sales and some other stuff for games on steam in 2014, among the stats is dos with >700k owners. how does that compare to any previous estimations?

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
800k owners on steam, so they did more than excellent

Also funny Skyrim sales since 4/4/14, 3 million. Thats about the number of DAI? Lol

Last edited:

xrm1

Educated
The video is about the "Windows 10 SDK", not Xbox. If they were going to announce D:OS, they would have done it yesterday together with all the other games.

Whoops, sorry then. Some guys at another forum mislead me to thinking it was coming for XBONE.

It might eventually, they'd stilll have to redo the UI and add controller support but AFAIK once a game is in the Windows 10 app store it's basically ported to XBONE.

Weasel
It was 5 mil KS proceeds when the game was already half baked. Probably closer to 8M invested I would think no? Anyone have closer to real numbers?

Think you must be getting this mixed up with something else. DOS got less than $1m on kickstarter.

The total budget figures I've seen in various places are EUR 4 mil / USD 5 mil. Something in that region.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ars technica did an article in which they estimate sales and some other stuff for games on steam in 2014, among the stats is dos with >700k owners. how does that compare to any previous estimations?

Most of those probably got the game through Kickstarter, so they aren't sales over and above the KS.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Most of those probably got the game through Kickstarter, so they aren't sales over and above the KS.

No, the Divinity Kickstarter only had ~20,000 backers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, the Divinity Kickstarter only had ~20,000 backers.
And they made 4.5 million Euro? That's some rich backers they have there.

Or is it 1M KS and the rest from sales?

Nah, you're confused. The game had a development budget of 4.5 million euros in total, including 1 million dollars from the Kickstarter and the rest self-funded through bank loans, selling previous Divinity games, etc.

It's made a lot more money than that in sales.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/573237453118578688

Fargo said:
My fellow RPG and @kickstarter entrepreneur...@LarAtLarian. Competing with each other is so last century.

B_SMbD0VAAAQCn5.jpg

Divine Wasteland Divinity RPG coming soon to your PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Dem Fargo eyes, that's what consoles do to your soul.

RPGfrance published the third and last part of their interview with Swen : http://www.rpgfrance.com/dossier-10274-1-interview-avec-swen-vincke-partie-3

- Is a console version possible ?

It’s never been a secret that I think it would be a good idea to make console port if we have the option. But the UI would have to be different. The interface must be adapted to consoles. And saying that, I see no reason why you could not play it on console. It would be pretty easy. The game being turn-based, you can adapt, have fun. And you can play online, super cool.​

Man, I wonder what's taking them so long to release the final hardcore mode patch...

Darkzone

Arcane
Yes Swen should milk the cow as much as it is possible, so that he has enough money for the next project. And the poor consoleros need also good RPGs, and not only games like Dragon Age: Inquisition.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Sykar

Arcane
Dem Fargo eyes, that's what consoles do to your soul.

RPGfrance published the third and last part of their interview with Swen : http://www.rpgfrance.com/dossier-10274-1-interview-avec-swen-vincke-partie-3

- Is a console version possible ?

It’s never been a secret that I think it would be a good idea to make console port if we have the option. But the UI would have to be different. The interface must be adapted to consoles. And saying that, I see no reason why you could not play it on console. It would be pretty easy. The game being turn-based, you can adapt, have fun. And you can play online, super cool.​

Man, I wonder what's taking them so long to release the final hardcore mode patch...

Not touching D:OS until they deliver it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Remember when Swen said "No, Roguey, we're not running out of money" and some of you guise actually believed him over me?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom