Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Gord

Arcane
Hey there, I got this months ago but haven't had much time to play it. I'm thinking of firing it up again.

I remember when I first tried it I liked it a lot, but for one thing: the interactions of my two characters. Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit schizophrenic, being both sides of a dialogue? Is there a way to disable that for single campaign play?

To elaborate on what hiver has said, they probably hadn't implemented AI personalities fully yet when you last played it.
You can now choose from several AI personalities that will auto-select answers of the character you don't control currently based on the personality.
IIRC, there was also an option however to turn it off completely in the settings? Not sure about it, though.

Weasel
I also hope he talks about how they could improve for their upcoming game. While D:OS was my GOTY last year, it still had issues that can be improved. Writing, for one. They should also take a look at their randomized loot. They can have it in their game if they wat, but add some unique items. I was getting level 5 items in the last dungeon and I thought it was a joke.

He has recognised these flaws in a detailed blog post, also referenced in this news thread.

In one paragraph and unsurprisingly, my biggest issues with the game are the same things most people had issues with. I think the main story can be told a lot better and has more potential than is apparent, that combat falls a bit flat after act 1 and that crafting,inventory & trade UIs could use a bunch of improvements. Certain dialogs should be done better, there’s still a lot of feedback missing from tooltips & skills, and at higher levels character progression isn’t as cool as it should be. Our loot system doesn’t behave as hoped for, and the companions could use some work.

DeepOcean

Arcane
- Nerfed Armor: some Armor scores were too high, resulting in unnecessarily long fights.
I think I will like this game, prefer battles where the enemy actually has a chance to destroy me quickly on two or three turns instead o being mostly helpless health bars that take forever to kill.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
No amount of balancing will fix the game pacing after the first map, needs a content update to either improve quest design, writing and plot

Turok

Erudite
No amount of balancing will fix the game pacing after the first map, needs a content update to either improve quest design, writing and plot

They are working on it, after this patch come a patch that add content to improve some quest also come a multithreading patch, this will help a lot on the performance without the use of super video cards or super processors.

Remember the Witcher 1? looks like they are going to do a special edition or something like that. Copy paste from CDP i guess, and that really good idea.

Perkel

Arcane

It only needs different "to hit" formula.
levels take to much importance in it.

hiver

They have received suggestions for those parts. It isnt that complicated to do, atleast to some extent, when it comes to most blatant examples of such problems.
We just have to see how much of it they are willing to do.

Im hoping they will do another Dev Line so we can hear more about that side.

It only needs different "to hit" formula.
levels take to much importance in it.
That is the crux of the problem with combat, i think, indeed.

Perkel

Arcane
most of the problems with combat is just to hit problem.

monster levels higher than you not only are better in almost every sense (hp, damage, armor, spells and so on) but you can't even hit them without resulting to some serious stacking of abilities.

Though they would need to first revamp stat system as there is no stat that makes your weapon hit more accurate and make other stats useful for all classes for example:

str - carry weight, malee weapon bonus damage, armor req (like in diablo2) so mages could wore anything as long as they have strenght and armors and weapons shouldn't have level req.
dex - bonus to acc of malee weapons, weapon speed bonus, shield block bonus, dodge bonus, spell dodge bonus, stealth bonus
int - max amount of skills learned limit, bonus skill points, bonus to weekness of enemies, bonus to resistances like charm
con - health, max action points, bonus to resistances like like poison or fire and natural armor
speed - ap regeneration, movement,
per - starting ap, ranged acc bonus, line of sights, detecting hidden enemies, enemy status, inititive

naturaly off battle stats things stay the same (like perception to see hidden things etc)

Then different formula to calculate HP. Generally flatten amount of HP so that con would be really important instead of level being the most important thing. This goes as well for enemies.

Flatten also damage from weapons so that you will start with something like 5-10 and end with something like 30-50.
Same with armor values.

This way character skills and gear will matter much more than leveling (which still be important but not as important as right now)

Last edited:

hiver

Thats very similar to what i told them. Im only not sure how does that work in details under the hood, mechanically.

But thats their part of the job.

also, ffs...

There wont be any balance patches.
balancing patch beta
This was from 16.12.2014 !!!

Its more then month old news! And we had to listen to that derp screaming about devs running his game.

:argh:

GloomFrost

Arcane
They would need to add like dozens of new side quests and LOTS of extra dialogues to improve the second half of the game. Not going to happen I m afraid.

Perkel

Arcane
Anyone interested in trying the beta update and providing feedback, please email me(raze@larian.com)or send me a friend request (BTW I periodically remove everyone from my friends list).

sent

- Some creatures had really high Dex and were difficult to hit for no reason.

I think this is not a problem with dex but with to hit mechanic that takes level as important factor.

I did my test early on for each level my characters got like 7-8% to hit. Problem here is that to hit ratio was flat based mostly on level where monster on other hand also had like you said dex to boost dodge.

So when you combine those two you had scenario in which 2 levels above or 3 and you had like 10% chance to hit someone instead of something like 30-50% and almost no way to counter that via stats or equipment.

Last edited:

hiver

Send it to Devline so at least it supports the same suggestion i made. Strength in numbers and all.

Though they would need to first revamp stat system as there is no stat that makes your weapon hit more accurate
There are spells and abilities that do that or lower enemies resistances,... which raises to hit chance. (judging by that the problem might be a result of incorrectly applied resistances...?)

I dont think a new stat is needed if they dont change the mechanics that are causing this effect now.But they could connect it to some attributes and abilities.

Additional not that great thing that happens is that while your weapon to hit chance drops heavily because of difference in levels - magic and spells dont suffer from it at all, so it only hampers one kind of builds.
Spells do have level and attribute and skill based penalties, but they get reduced when you invest points in Intelligence and relevant magic school. levels only prevent you from learning any spell until you reach appropriate level.

But they never have any kind of actual to hit penalty.
If you can perform a spell you always hit.

Anyway, in a combat heavy game the worst thing you can do is take away the to hit chance from the player, since that is your main tool with which you interact with the game.

And needless to say some big bulky enemies should not be difficult to hit at all, but rather more resistant to amounts of damage they take per hit.

They would need to add like dozens of new side quests and LOTS of extra dialogues to improve the second half of the game. Not going to happen I m afraid.
No, there is plenty of content. They just need to rearrange it and adjust some stuff. It could be modded, actually. But i dont have the will for it anymore and it would need a few people doing it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Help?.. by using your first sentence as an accusation of drama when you had no idea of the veracity of your own statement.

Then you have the gall to get on your high horse about the tone of my reply?.. Tell you what mate, go 'help' someone else.
You bought the Steam version of a game that was avaible in non-steam version for exactly the same price and now you're bitching about autopatching and blaming it on the game itself?

You deserve all the ridicule and abuse that you will ever get.

GloomFrost

Arcane
No, there is plenty of content. They just need to rearrange it and adjust some stuff. It could be modded, actually. But i dont have the will for it anymore and it would need a few people doing it.[/QUOTE]
Come on man, take one more for the team. We will like totally appreciate it.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Help?.. by using your first sentence as an accusation of drama when you had no idea of the veracity of your own statement.

Then you have the gall to get on your high horse about the tone of my reply?.. Tell you what mate, go 'help' someone else.
You bought the Steam version of a game that was avaible in non-steam version for exactly the same price and now you're bitching about autopatching and blaming it on the game itself?

You deserve all the ridicule and abuse that you will ever get.

Actually I have both Steam and GOG, Steam won't stop autopatches and GOG will be running all versions into the one file.

Sorry, ridicule? I save that for the unequivocally wrong... you know, the people I'm replying to.

hiver

Come on man, take one more for the team. We will like totally appreciate it.
I sent several crucial suggestions about that second part of the game and its biggest "problems" to Larian devline. Thats the most i can do now. Its down to them.

If it was a modding effort i would need atleast two-three dedicated people more, all very handy with the editor which is still buggy and it would take atleast three-four months of work. Probably more.

A good part of the overall problems is also tied with how combat works, as Perkel explained, so without that being fixed the solution would be only half done anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I find it utterly hilarious how Larian patched out level being the most important stat in Divinity 2 and then went and did the same damn with D:OS. As Lesi would put it, Larian: not just an animal that doesn't learn, but also animal that forgets.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Actually I have both Steam and GOG, Steam won't stop autopatches and GOG will be running all versions into the one file.
You have the GOG version? Awesome! Download the files, back them up to a hard drive somewhere, and you will have the version of the game you want until the end of your days, with no autopatching involved whatsoever.

If you've run out of hard drive space you can always buy another one, they're pretty cheap.

Remind me again what the problem was?

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
You have the GOG version? Awesome! Download the files, back them up to a hard drive somewhere, and you will have the version of the game you want until the end of your days, with no autopatching involved whatsoever.

Yeah that's almost as bad as the steam workaround.

So what would happen if the hdd dies (wouldn't be the first time) and I want to reinstall.

inb4 burn a DVD.. That's not as solution either.

Face it.. I have a legitimate point and you're just being a prat. I don't leave things to chance, that's why this is an issue for me.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Arcane
Your point about not being able to get the original versions is a good one. It's rarely an actual problem but I have encountered it from time to time. Notably Witcher 2.
The solution is yes, put it on a HDD, and then another one. Not really different than having a 1.0 disc really. It sucks a little but an obvious result of the digital era. It's not in GOGs interest to have tons of storage space dedicated to old versions of D:OS or anything else. And it's really easy to do yourself. Anyone seriously concerned with having old versions of games would be willing to back up a couple copies in a couple places.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm sorry, but that deserves a brofist.

May you feed on it, troll, and... prosper!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom