Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Kem0sabe

Arcane
How does everyone feel about the way the dialog trees were structured? Many of the paths had separate nodes where you would ask about a subject then you would have to say "lets talk about something else" to switch back to the main tree. It seemed more frequent in DivOS than other RPGs.

Anyone else have that take away? Was it a problem? Not a problem? Minor annoyance?
The dialogue itself was an annoyance.

Cadmus

Arcane
How does everyone feel about the way the dialog trees were structured? Many of the paths had separate nodes where you would ask about a subject then you would have to say "lets talk about something else" to switch back to the main tree. It seemed more frequent in DivOS than other RPGs.

Anyone else have that take away? Was it a problem? Not a problem? Minor annoyance?
eh I remember there being some strange dialogue structure that annoyed me a little

hiver

And why the hell did they make all the monsters dance when you target them? When you finally find the optimum camera rotation to expose most of the target mesh, when you click it moves from under the cursor and here you move again taking AoOs and wasting your turn.

Target legs.

If you miss-click and character starts moving.... right click anywhere.

Have your mind blown.

A bit of nuisance because all dialogue lines repeat themselves forever, instead of at least some bigger, important choices disappearing after you select them first time. - which then transfers relevant info to the journal.
Suggestion already sent.

It's now that humor is bad per say in an RPG, it's just that Larian just doesnt seem capable to write it with any wit.
I find it all creates a bit of a light atmosphere which is fitting for a high fantasy super epic setting such as Divinity OS has, and there are occasional quips and smaller jokes that sit well, although never something thta will have you laughing as if its a comedy. I dont think thats the intent at all.

As far as writing of quest structures, plots and dialogues goes i find it superb to anything in W2, by light years.
There are a few misses, a few things that could have been improved or expanded upon but nothing too terrible and mostly rare in the whole of the game.

If anything it seems that extreme grim dark moments clash with such general atmosphere, although i havent noticed anything too egregious or poorly mixed. When you find those slain villagers there is no one making stupid jokes about it. There isnt any jolly chuckling or quips in Hunters edge itself... although that trader skeleton outside could have been put somewhere else...

And the few moments that tried to be heartfelt succeed much better then utter shite in w2.

Last edited by a moderator:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did Kirill do another pass on the music? Although the game had nice music, the lack of Kirill (because of his sickness) was noticable at several parts.

hiver

Not only that but it keeps creating weird bugs that make it very hard or even impossible to make some basic things, like terrain, save it, then load it. They are working on fixing such bigger problems though. Some people are basically doing it by themselves now, most of more detailed info available was dug out from the editor by themselves...etc, etc.

I really wanted to try, I had - have some really p.great ideas about "correcting" some things in the main game and creating a standalone big mod, but i gave up for the time being.

Arsene Lupin

Novice
What do you guys think of all this post-release content support Larian has going on for DOS? In his last blog post, Seen indicated there'd be additional stuff patched in later this year--a major effort to improve the narrative delivery and game direction. Is this a good thing? A bad thing?

I'm really torn. I love DOS, so obviously I want it to be better. I'm actually looking forward to replaying the game, and I really don't care for TBS (usually because the combat is so lazily designed), simply because everything was so fun. But at the same time, when I know there are big improvements coming, I don't want to play the game until they're out. So weird situations like this arise where I haven't finished playing my favorite game of 2014 because of the promise of future improvements in 2015.

I guess free content updates and improvements are better for gamers, but wouldn't it be better PR to hold off on these things and bundle them with an expansion pack, like how Shadowrun Dragonfall was released simultaneously with a major content update for SRR?

Poor documentation.
A lot of stuff is just unintuitive, too. I just wanted to make a simple module set entirely in a small inn, but had to give up because just building the environment was just way too damn tedious. There's a big difference between mod tools for gamers and mod tools for developers and aspiring developers... And the Divinity toolkit is very much the latter.

Pony King

Educated
There are two possibilities:
The game is bad and you don't need to wait for improvements that won't matter.
The game is good and you will want to experience it multiple times.

Either way you can play the game now and figure out what you want to do in the future.

...Or you can continue sitting on your ass and wasting words on the codex instead of playing a fun game. If you like to be bored, that would work.

Arsene Lupin

Novice
I'm pretty sure my post count is either still at or has just now barely surpassed the single digits. So that's a weird accusation. Also: I'm on some pretty heavy painkillers now so my only gaming option is Mario Kart 8 if I want to enjoy myself. Also: pot, kettle, black.

V_K

Arcane
The game is bad and you don't need to wait for improvements that won't matter.
The game is good and you will want to experience it multiple times.
There is a third option: the game is mostly fine, but too long for its own good, so by the time it end (or sometimes even before that) you just get completely fed up with the kind of experience it has to offer. From what I gather, the codex consensus is that DOS is precisely that.

Arsene Lupin

Novice
I havent spent much time here, but it doesn't seem to me like the codex has a consensus on anything. Hell, I was just reading some guy's post talking about how platformers were the best genre in an RPG discussion....

Pony King

Educated
I'm pretty sure my post count is either still at or has just now barely surpassed the single digits. So that's a weird accusation. Also: I'm on some pretty heavy painkillers now so my only gaming option is Mario Kart 8 if I want to enjoy myself. Also: pot, kettle, black.
The game was voted number one on the codex 2014 poll by a large margin and almost everyone agrees that the first half is amazing. All I'm saying is that the only way to loose is not to play.

The only exception is if you have a nonsensical rule about only touching games once.

I havent spent much time here, but it doesn't seem to me like the codex has a consensus on anything.
Don't let the shitposters confuse you.

Arsene Lupin

Novice
Yeah, I get ya'.

But I'm a weird gamer. I'm still irked they added two new companions because I had so much fun with two Lone Wolfs I don't think I'll ever muster the willpower to play any other way.

Anyway, I was hoping to focus more on the developer side than consumer side of this post-release support. I just don't feel like all this patching (which, again, is great for us consumers) is earning Larian anything. And you have to remember that every person working on improving the DOS we have now is someone NOT working on DOS2, or the expansion, or the new IP Seen has been teasing since 2006.

EDIT: its not so much I have a rule so much as I have a big backlog, and when I stop playing a game for a while I tend not to go back to it. I mean, hell, I still haven't picked up SRR again after ceasing my play through to wait for the save patch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway, I was hoping to focus more on the developer side than consumer side of this post-release support. I just don't feel like all this patching (which, again, is great for us consumers) is earning Larian anything. And you have to remember that every person working on improving the DOS we have now is someone NOT working on DOS2, or the expansion, or the new IP Seen has been teasing since 2006.

Well, if they rebrand the game as an "Enhanced Edition" than that can boost sales. Also, engine improvements and such that can help with other games.

But actually, most of them are probably already working on a new game, with only a skeleton crew working on this patch. That's why it takes so long.

Arsene Lupin

Novice
Yeah. And Seen keeps teasing it. So much. Its kind of annoying. Hell, he's even spitballed about a big content update to fix the latter half of Dragon Commander (which I don't think is going to happen).

But, yeah, you raise a good point about the potential for an "enhanced edition." That's worked well for CDPR, and ostensible for Larian, too, given bow many special post-release editions of Divinity 2 there were.

Also, for the record, I want it to be known that I definitely want to see some talking lizard people in the next divinity game. That doc from a divine was a total bro.

Pony King

Educated
Back in the scary decline years of 2006-ish, people on forums who liked CRPGs would try and remind publishers and developers that CRPGs had a long tail and were therefore worth investing into. Developers knew this, and publishers didn't care.
Now we are in a period where developers can create games according to their own ideas and wishes, and then people want to tell old studios with tons of experience how to sell games? Without knowledge of how they sell and how their employees are organised?
It just doesn't seem like we have anything to add.

Arsene Lupin

Novice
@PonyKing: Being good at making games and being good at selling games are two very different skill sets. There's a reason the publishing model exists. So far Larian has done well, but they've only published two games--one of which got only a lukewarm reception.

And then there are cases like Double Fine where the sudden absence of a publisher leads to utter chaos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom