Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Project: Eternity
At least they can't blame it on piracy.
Don't worry, they'll probably say that DA:4 is going to be console exclusive because PC gamers aren't interested in RPG's as proved by bad DA:I sales. Development of PC version seriously strained their resources which reduced game's quality which ended up in worse sales.
And nothing of value will be lost.

Perkel

Arcane
Great to hear that. I think areas after first town needs a little more stuff to do.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I had more fun with D:OS than I've had with DA:I on my PS4.

D:OS is just a better game (IMHO)

Zep--

Slow James

Savant
Don't worry, they'll probably say that DA:4 is going to be console exclusive because PC gamers aren't interested in RPG's as proved by bad DA:I sales. Development of PC version seriously strained their resources which reduced game's quality which ended up in worse sales.

Thing is? I can totally see this happening.

Chunkyman

Augur
I'm glad they're still doing that big patch. I've been holding off playing until they add it, and the wait is killing me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Awesome, no Kickstarter RPGs for Roguey this year.

They released a beta patch on Steam, but I'm not going to bother with that.

changelist
- bug fixes and minor changes to several combat encounters
- Rebalanced Constitution & Damage: from LUC to DAF, overall, creatures go down faster but deal more damage.
- Nerfed Armor: some Armor scores were too high, resulting in unnecessarily long fights.
- Rebalanced Initiative: some creatures had too high an Init, some others none at all. NPC Init scores will now be closer to players'.
- Rebalanced Willpower & Bodybuilding throughout the game.
- Rebalanced physical & magical resistances: some were high for no reason.
- Some creatures had really high Dex and were difficult to hit for no reason.
- Pure elementals (fire, water, air, earth) now have proper resistances & immunities.
- Magic weapons: before, e.g., a flaming sword would inflict pure fire damage; now, it inflicts physical (slashing) damage + a fire boost.

Removing slog sounds good on paper.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Awesome, no Kickstarter RPGs for Roguey this year.

It's actually really fun the way it is.

You won't believe me anyway, I know, since you're either trolling or pretty much set in your ways or both, but if PoE launches in a similar state to how D:OS launched, it will be a major success.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's actually really fun the way it is.

You won't believe me anyway, I know, since you're either trolling or pretty much set in your ways or both, but if PoE launches in a similar state to how D:OS launched, it will be a major success.

Likely the first few areas sure, but not the latter parts. I'm determined to play the best possible version before I write off Larian entirely.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Likely the first few areas sure, but not the latter parts. I'm determined to play the best possible version before I write off Larian entirely.

You seem to talk about success a lot though, and I assume you can't deny D:OS has been succesfull. So, based on what will you write Larian off then? Based on your idea of a perfect RPG?

If the latter, doesn't that contradict your own assessments of PoE, and how it will have more concurrent players than D:OS and whatnot? What if PoE's endgame is just as not up to the par as D:OS'? :o

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You seem to talk about success a lot though, and I assume you can't deny D:OS has been succesfull.

Agreed.

So, based on what will you write Larian off then? Based on your idea of a perfect RPG?

My personal tastes, yes.

If the latter, doesn't that contradict your own assessments of PoE, and how it will have more concurrent players than D:OS and whatnot? What if PoE's endgame is just as not up to the par as D:OS'? :o

I'm not sure I understand, but I believe PoE will have more concurrent players at the start because it's far more reminiscent of a popular series. I'm also predicting those players will keep with it longer on account of the fun.

It might have a bad endgame, but it seems less likely to me considering the low level-cap (pretty telling how D:OS falls apart past 10-12+) and a lead designer fixated on balance (not present at Larian).

Crooked Bee

Patron
Sorry about being vague, but I see where you're coming from now.

It's funny how you want to "write off" Larian though, given that you yourself admit D:OS was a success. If it is going to prove less of a success than PoE, you will no doubt quote yourself as a Cassandra (plus all the balance stuff and whatnot, you know the drill), and if not, you will quote how D:OS "falls apart past 10-12+", right?

Anyway, judging from your post, PoE's low level cap is how the game deals with the balance problem, which D:OS also had to deal post level 12+ (according to your estimate). I wonder if that isn't a sort of cop-out by itself...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's funny how you want to "write off" Larian though, given that you yourself admit D:OS was a success.

If they're going to keep disappointing me with systems, they have to deliver with content, and I have a loosely-defined threshold of acceptability. So far, Flames of Vengeance is the only product of theirs that's met it. One good area and dull writing all-around doesn't sound acceptable at the moment.

If it is going to prove less of a success than PoE, you will no doubt quote yourself as a Cassandra (plus all the balance stuff and whatnot, you know the drill), and if not, you will quote how D:OS "falls apart past 10-12+", right?

Sounds about right.

Anyway, judging from your post, PoE's low level cap is how the game deals with the balance problem, which D:OS also had to deal post level 12+ (according to your estimate). I wonder if that isn't a sort of cop-out by itself...

It does a lot more than that. Nonetheless, PoE 2 will still have an up-hill battle, especially since the expansion will likely increase the cap by one or two levels.

Sephy88

Literate
Hi guys

Well i'm waiting for the spanish translation fo the game and i haven't played it yet.

I finished Wasteland 2 a month ago (REALLY enjoyed it), so in comparison, wich things i'm going to see in Divinity? I suppose by the general answers a better polished game (less bugs, better graphics), better combat system but worse choice and consequence and quest design...is that true? I preffer C&C details and level design over the combat system but im really hyped with Divinity.

Angthoron

Arcane
You'll see some C&C here too, but it's much less global, so to speak. Save a talking seashell, sell the talking seashell, help a thief get away with a stolen fish, have him arrested and thrown to jail, let a crazy elf kill a sentient bookish orc, or have him arrested or killed (or arrested AND killed), that sort of thing. Flavour, largely, something where you get to have your PC characters interact with each other. Pretty neat if you're playing with someone else.

Otherwise, I'd say it should more or less match up to your expectations as long as you don't overhype it for yourself.

Oh yeah, and the writing is typical Larian writing, so it's light-hearted (most of the time), and not at all very srs.

You can read our review of it and see the comments for the general idea, it's only 6 pages long. The review, I mean. :M

Sephy88

Literate
You'll see some C&C here too, but it's much less global, so to speak. Save a talking seashell, sell the talking seashell, help a thief get away with a stolen fish, have him arrested and thrown to jail, let a crazy elf kill a sentient bookish orc, or have him arrested or killed (or arrested AND killed), that sort of thing. Flavour, largely, something where you get to have your PC characters interact with each other. Pretty neat if you're playing with someone else.

Otherwise, I'd say it should more or less match up to your expectations as long as you don't overhype it for yourself.

Oh yeah, and the writing is typical Larian writing, so it's light-hearted (most of the time), and not at all very srs.

Ok, the main problem here is that i'm going to play Divinity after Wasteland 2 (my personal GOTY at the moment), so i hope it doesn't dissapoint me with all the good reviews i've seen on the Codex.

It's a pitty that kind of "magical" design, i preffer post-apocalyptic/CyberPunk more but as i said before i'm "nearly" overhyped about it...but i'm going to low my espectations just in case.

Welp, i'm not an expert on rpgs, one of my favourite is Fallout 2 and New Vegas (sorry codex, i love New Vegas) over Baldurs Gate saga for example (again...SORRY), and playing this kind of games knowing how BAD are current rpg, playing those kickstarter crpgs is like the third Jesuschrist resurrection.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I finished Wasteland 2 a month ago (REALLY enjoyed it), so in comparison, wich things i'm going to see in Divinity? I suppose by the general answers a better polished game (less bugs, better graphics), better combat system but worse choice and consequence and quest design...is that true?.

Exactly.

Weasel
Welp, i'm not an expert on rpgs, one of my favourite is Fallout 2 and New Vegas (sorry codex, i love New Vegas) over Baldurs Gate saga for example (again...SORRY)

How dare you prefer F2 to BG, that's the ultimate sin around here. Luckily for you this is a famously friendly and tolerant forum.

Angthoron

Arcane

Ok, the main problem here is that i'm going to play Divinity after Wasteland 2 (my personal GOTY at the moment), so i hope it doesn't dissapoint me with all the good reviews i've seen on the Codex.
You should like it, I suspect. Personal preferences and all being different, but it's a solid game, and if you liked Fallout 2's sometimes nonsensical dialogues and situations, OS should work fine. I liked both WL2 and OS quite a bit, though in different ways.

Speaking of post-apoc, I'd like to see more magical post-apoc settings. I know there are some, but usually, when it comes to games, the "apoc" part is barely noticeable. It's got such a huge potential, too, man...

nikolokolus

Arcane
Deadlands or the world in Stephen King's Dark Tower series would both make a great setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom