Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

I don't consider C&C and reactivity to be "storyfag" because IMO they are real gameplay mechanics. Incidentally, there's not much C&C and reactivity in DOS (so it is a valid complaint)
I agree with most of your recent posts... But there exists CnC beyond narrative branching storyfag elements.

To Quote another of your posts.
First run I played with a 4-element mage with a lot of Speed, so I could cast any environmental combo I wanted. I never really had long fights except for bosses (hp bloat) and whenever I accidentally smokescreened the field so I couldn't do shit. And honestly I can avoid almost any encounter with an invisibility-type skill and teleport pyramid.

This time around I have a Zombie, so if there's a poison trap I just run him through and teleport pyramid the rest of the party. I also maxed out on charm skills (and arrows) so half the enemies are busy fighting each other, while I'm throwing AOEs at all of them :lol: And I still have a moderate amount of secrets/puzzles I didn't figure out the first time, that I'm trying to figure out now. Also experimenting with crafting... Just made a one handed sword that has +15% in each elemental resistance, and I'm pretty sure that's not in any recipe book.
Sure sounds like CnC and reactivity to me. Your choice of builds govern your consequent cheesing tactics in combat situations.

Don't fall into the storyfag trap that only CnC and Reactivity is narrative branching.

Seaking4

Learned
There has to be more to CnC than just 'you picked a class and now you have to live with the consequences of that'. If not, then everything you do in a game would be CnC. Pressed W and character moved forward? CnC.

I'm not saying it has to be tied to storyhomosexuality but there is more to it than just basic gameplay choices.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
There has to be more to CnC than just 'you picked a class and now you have to live with the consequences of that'. If not, then everything you do in a game would be CnC. Pressed W and character moved forward? CnC.

I'm not saying it has to be tied to storyhomosexuality but there is more to it than just basic gameplay choices.
Not necessarily, because many games have little or very mild differences in consequences.

Incidentally the problem with DOS is that there are interesting "consequences" for your choices, but you are limited in your choices because skill balance sucks.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Anti regenerating health is just a codeword for FPS hater.
RPGs existed before late 90s
Divinity doesn't have auto regenerating health :smug:

Seriously though, I am thinking about giving all my guys 1 point in Geomancy to heal my Zombie :lol:

Thirdly, I think the correct genre for Divinity would be a "dick around game."

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Anti regenerating health is just a codeword for FPS hater.
RPGs existed before late 90s
Divinity doesn't have auto regenerating health :smug:

Seriously though, I am thinking about giving all my guys 1 point in Geomancy to heal my Zombie :lol:

Thirdly, I think the correct genre for Divinity would be a "dick around game."
Divinity isn't a First Person Shooter :smug: Just because some mechanic has become the genre norm during the last decade, that does not mean that the genre definition has changed.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Again, Roguey raises a fair point...

If there is no COST attached to healing after combat, there is no point to there being no automatic heal once combat is over. Maybe if healing after combat drained your supplies in any way, drained your mana, your time (assuming timed quests), anything. But nope, you just cast your heal spell without consequence and you're good to go.

Cadmus

Arcane

If there is no COST attached to healing after combat, there is no point to there being no automatic heal once combat is over. Maybe if healing after combat drained your supplies in any way, drained your mana, your time (assuming timed quests), anything. But nope, you just cast your heal spell without consequence and you're good to go.
yeah well so fucking cast it and be on your way, geez

it's not a fair point whatsoever, it's being a fucking troll and nitpicking the most inconsequential bullshit

Greatness

Cipher

I actually thought it was kind of neat early on in Wasteland2 how I had no way to easily heal up. At first I thought I just couldn't find the "rest" button, but when I realised it must've been an incline design choice it made me play more carefully. I knew any damage I took I'd have to pay for with $/medkits. Sadly they through that all away just a few minutes later with a stupid NPC who can full heal for free when ever you want.
:negative:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, even that has a consequence: you still need to make it to the NPC, and that can actually be pretty difficult with random encounters, especially on the higher difficulties. It's certainly a more interesting design choice than "click button, be healed".

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The problem isn't having to heal its having costless healing. A mod that restricts healing outside if combat might be interesting though the simulationists might not like it.

Cadmus

Arcane
The problem isn't having to heal its having costless healing. A mod that restricts healing outside if combat might be interesting though the simulationists might not like it.
it's not a problem
roguey is the problem because he is just bored. I cant believe anybody would be retarded enough to seriously criticize such minor mechanics of a game he never played (or has he, I ignored him)
it's trolling and you people discussing such a bullshit thing should know better....but what should I expect in here..what's an RPG? is a game where you can heal yourself for free after a fight still an RPG? If the healing is automatic is it still an RPG? why isnt there a proper resources management to restrict your healing, this isnt an RPG.

fucking retards

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
...but that's the point. There is no proper resources management to restrict your healing.

Look, it's easy to understand:

* If healing after a fight is just a matter of clicking a button and waiting five seconds, it might as well be automatic.

Even the old Eye of the Beholder games had a "rest until healed while always memorizing healing spells" button just so you didn't have to manually do it over and over.

Seaking4

Learned
it's not a problem
roguey is the problem because he is just bored. I cant believe anybody would be retarded enough to seriously criticize such minor mechanics of a game he never played (or has he, I ignored him)
it's trolling and you people discussing such a bullshit thing should know better....but what should I expect in here..what's an RPG? is a game where you can heal yourself for free after a fight still an RPG? If the healing is automatic is it still an RPG? why isnt there a proper resources management to restrict your healing, this isnt an RPG.

fucking retards

Your mixing two different arguments. No one is saying that a game where you can feel your characters without any cost isn't an RPG (that would be silly). It's just a bit odd to criticize a game for having regenerating health when Divinity: Original sin might as well have it since heal doesn't drain resources.

It's kind of like having footlockers say (empty) next to them before you have even checked. Doesn't really make sense but who cares. It saves you time from having to open and check things. Remove annoying things from games (or make them automatic = have more fun.

Cadmus

Arcane
...but that's the point. There is no proper resources management to restrict your healing.

Look, it's easy to understand:

* If healing after a fight is just a matter of clicking a button and waiting five seconds, it might as well be automatic.

Even the old Eye of the Beholder games had a "rest until healed while always memorizing healing spells" button just so you didn't have to manually do it over and over.
I understand it perfectly. The problem is that the argument is fucking retarded and inane.

Hey what if you don't have any healing spells?
Hey what if you only got a long CD healing spell like the man at arms one?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
When I played it through I found the healing a nuissance. Cadmus don't let your hatred blind you. It is a pain in the ass although it got considerably easier as my water Mage got more powerful and was able to cast at higher heal rates and short cooldowns.

Athelas

Arcane
That's not really the same thing though. With Diablo loot there's at least the chance that you might get something useful, and a lot (if not most) of the game's appeal comes from the excitement of whether the next drop is any good.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Plus, the most recent Diablo game actually lets you sell loot you don't want on the spot to abstract the "go back to town" process, if I remember right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom