Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Make a party that does not have the Teleport skill?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Why? It's part of the fun of the gameplay. It's not OP in my opinion. It's just another tactical option. Not always something that is useful. Plus it's another option for solving non-combat encounters.

Edit: Basically I mean, it's not a huge buff or an I-win button for combat. It's just another tactical option. Costs a lot of AP to use, too. I've rarely, rarely won a fight based only on Teleport. I mean I'll use it, and it's effective, but I still have to do a lot of other things in combat.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why? It's part of the fun of the gameplay. It's not OP in my opinion. It's just another tactical option. Not always something that is useful. Plus it's another option for solving non-combat encounters.

Edit: Basically I mean, it's not a huge buff or an I-win button for combat. It's just another tactical option. Costs a lot of AP to use, too. I've rarely, rarely won a fight based only on Teleport. I mean I'll use it, and it's effective, but I still have to do a lot of other things in combat.
I won one encounter using it. I won't spoil which one because it is in the Phantom Forest. All I will say is that payback is a bitch.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Show Us Your Rig: Divinity: Original Sin designer Farhang Namdar

RkoiTbx.png

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/25/show-us-your-rig-divinity-original-sin-designer-farhang-namdar/

nj41ETp.jpg

A2SXKyX.jpg

SqXmNda.jpg

UFDbl3J.jpg

What are you playing right now?

Divinity: Original Sin, Shovel Knight, Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Metal Slug 3, Counter Strike GO, Ikaruga, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, GRID, Contra 4 NDS. All these games except DOS are round based games or finite games, you die often when playing them and you can play them for a short time. It's very time efficient.

What's your favorite game and why?

I would have to say that my favorite game of all time is Shadowrun on the SNES, I really loved that game, the fact that it had keywords and you could talk to everybody. Everybody was hiding something, the music and the gritty cyber punk atmosphere of the game were very engaging. You could hire npcs to come fight with you, the locations were amazing. They had the hacking mechanic in there and the video phone as well, which was really cool too I mean this was 1993!

Knut

Educated
finished the game. it was very enjoyable but i have no idea what all this circlejerking is about.

visually, the game is alright. animations and effects are good, and zoomed out camera manages to camouflage some of the more ridiculous aspects of the cartoony style. too bad none of this remedies the eye-bleeding saturation of the game.
companions are flat as they come, their personal "arcs" are total joke, in both cases you simply kill what you would kill anyway, with few lines of dialogue extra. quest do have multiple solutions but i felt they are flavor based mostly, nothing really interesting or consequential is going on.

having two main CHARS is nice, but RPS minigame is horrible for singleplayer, i mostly pressed space and reloaded if the result was not to my liking (based on the bonuses for traits, not roleplaying, mind you)

combat is really well done, no complaints.
writing is good and i appreciate SOME of the humor, however, story is total crap. it is over-the-top stereotypical bullshit that i do not care to repeat again. i'm a storyfag among other things and i have limited mount of time, so next time i decide to play something it will most definitely be baldur's gate again, not DOS. i admit BG is not some art-piece, but it has enough gameplay and story depth to keep me entertained. how anyone in the right mind would hail this as a saviour of crpg is beyond me. sorry folks and fanboys, but roguey was right, this is not the major incline you paint it to be.

it is good for what it is- a bland cover for some nice combat. uninstalled.

Crichton

Prophet
So far, near the end of Hunter's Edge right now, I really like all the puzzles with the exception of the find-the-tiny-button ones (which like I said before, I think is the worst part of the game).

I kinda disliked the Immaculate Trial where you had to weigh down correctly the 4 platforms (not sure if I'm describing this well enough)... I basically ended up using trial and error. I couldn't find any clues. Were there actual clues? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

If I recall correctly, the size of each platform was proportional to the size of the barrel you need to use to weigh it down. I.e. vases for small platforms, barrels for large ones.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I placed candle on one of platforms. And I think other items than vases had signs similar to marked barrel.

whatevername

Arcane
finished the game. it was very enjoyable but i have no idea what all this circlejerking is about.

visually, the game is alright. animations and effects are good, and zoomed out camera manages to camouflage some of the more ridiculous aspects of the cartoony style. too bad none of this remedies the eye-bleeding saturation of the game.
companions are flat as they come, their personal "arcs" are total joke, in both cases you simply kill what you would kill anyway, with few lines of dialogue extra. quest do have multiple solutions but i felt they are flavor based mostly, nothing really interesting or consequential is going on.

having two main CHARS is nice, but RPS minigame is horrible for singleplayer, i mostly pressed space and reloaded if the result was not to my liking (based on the bonuses for traits, not roleplaying, mind you)

combat is really well done, no complaints.
writing is good and i appreciate SOME of the humor, however, story is total crap. it is over-the-top stereotypical bullshit that i do not care to repeat again. i'm a storyfag among other things and i have limited mount of time, so next time i decide to play something it will most definitely be baldur's gate again, not DOS. i admit BG is not some art-piece, but it has enough gameplay and story depth to keep me entertained. how anyone in the right mind would hail this as a saviour of crpg is beyond me. sorry folks and fanboys, but roguey was right, this is not the major incline you paint it to be.

it is good for what it is- a bland cover for some nice combat. uninstalled.
Who cares about the story?? It has turn based combat.

TURN BASED COMBAT
TURN BASED COMBAT
TURN BASED COMBAT
TURN BASED COMBAT
TURN BASED COMBAT
TURN BASED COMBAT
:flamesaw:

Teleport is AOE and it's the first? available 1-turn AOE spell (oil has to be burned and poision dart is sort of random). Also it can teleport npcs behind the doors and the npcs can't open them while they have the key, at least in the legion HQ jail. So instead of fighting 3 guards at the same time, you fight 1.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Teleport is AOE and it's the first? available 1-turn AOE spell (oil has to be burned and poision dart is sort of random). Also it can teleport npcs behind the doors and the npcs can't open them while they have the key, at least in the legion HQ jail. So instead of fighting 3 guards at the same time, you fight 1.
Like I said, I played with a 4 element mage. Oil and Flare or Firefly was a 1-turn AOE combo for me. Teleport is also on a huge cooldown with a tiny AOE radius. Nowadays I use Small Fireball and Boulder Bash much more than Teleport in terms of AOE purposes. Teleport mainly for Crushing damage against magic resistance foes, and to relocate enemies close to my melee guys if I don't want to spend AP on my melee guys to get near them.

In regards to the jail, I just Tactically Retreated diagonally so that I landed behind the wall, and ran around looting everything while Walking in Shadows. Then Teleport Pyramided back. :lol:

Edit: Anyways I don't think there are that many opportunities to "cheese" using Teleport. Like I said, I've "rarely, rarely won a fight" using it specifically.. so there are 2 fights so far that I have cheesed with Teleport, lol. But even then these specific "bosses" were still hard with their minions Teleported away. I think there are much more cheesy ways to win, like completely blocking enemies off with barrels and plinking them for 30 turns (as RK showed).

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So far, near the end of Hunter's Edge right now, I really like all the puzzles with the exception of the find-the-tiny-button ones (which like I said before, I think is the worst part of the game).

I kinda disliked the Immaculate Trial where you had to weigh down correctly the 4 platforms (not sure if I'm describing this well enough)... I basically ended up using trial and error. I couldn't find any clues. Were there actual clues? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

If I recall correctly, the size of each platform was proportional to the size of the barrel you need to use to weigh it down. I.e. vases for small platforms, barrels for large ones.
I placed candle on one of platforms. And I think other items than vases had signs similar to marked barrel.
I think it was bugged for me because for one or two of the platforms, none of the containers were working for me. I ended up putting a water jug (forget the name exactly) on one platform, then took it off later (and the field didn't reactivate), and put it on the other platform, and I was able to pass, lol.

whatevername

Arcane
Like I said, I played with a 4 element mage. Oil and Flare or Firefly was a 1-turn AOE combo for me. Teleport is also on a huge cooldown with a tiny AOE radius. Nowadays I use Small Fireball and Boulder Bash much more than Teleport in terms of AOE purposes. Teleport mainly for Crushing damage against magic resistance foes, and to relocate enemies close to my melee guys if I don't want to spend AP on my melee guys to get near them.

In regards to the jail, I just Tactically Retreated diagonally so that I landed behind the wall, and ran around looting everything while Walking in Shadows. Then Teleport Pyramided back. :lol:

Edit: Anyways I don't think there are that many opportunities to "cheese" using Teleport. Like I said, I've "rarely, rarely won a fight" using it specifically.. so there are 2 fights so far that I have cheesed with Teleport, lol. But even then these specific "bosses" were still hard with their minions Teleported away. I think there are much more cheesy ways to win, like completely blocking enemies off with barrels and plinking them for 30 turns (as RK showed).
I play with 2 5 element mages so I assume with no points in sneaking the latter's gonna suck.

I had an undead pyromancer cast some AOE fire rain that blew up all my barrels.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

I play with 2 5 element mages so I assume with no points in sneaking the latter's gonna suck.

I had an undead pyromancer cast some AOE fire rain that blew up all my barrels.
Hm were you standing near the barrels? The pyromancer might have been targeting you rather than the barrels.

Either that or they improved the AI.
RK47 literally put up videos showing the ways to cheese the AI lol

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Apparently you can kill most NPCs by trading them Tenebrium equipment :lol:

Trying to keep Aureus alive now though, so I have one of my Man At Arms sellers still around (it was an accident!)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
....sneaking? why sneak when u can go invisible?

Trying to keep Aureus alive now though, so I have one of my Man At Arms sellers still around (it was an accident!)

They can't die from Tenebrium poisoning, the effect stops at 1 HP.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
....sneaking? why sneak when u can go invisible?
This.

They can't die from Tenebrium poisoning, the effect stops at 1 HP.
Hm.. will that let me do a quiet and quick assassination once they reach 1 HP without notifying anyone?

Anyways looks like I can freely sell Tenebrium to anyone.

Jozoz

Prophet
Is it really useless to upgrade your Bow skill as a ranger?

I heard from a friend that you should ignore weapon skills until you get certain types of weapons that only benefit from its own stat even though it's still a bow.

Cadmus

Arcane

I heard from a friend that you should ignore weapon skills until you get certain types of weapons that only benefit from its own stat even though it's still a bow.
Dunno, it's true that you get a new weapon skill later but my Madora had enough to transition smoothly. I hear you can later in game change your skills or what but I havent gotten there yet or missed it or something.

Id say if you dont need to put them there because you do no damage, do save the points for the later weapon skill

sorry I write like a retard because I'm.

just save your weapon points until you get the new weapon skill unless you have problems with the damage output

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

All of your special arrows damage are based on % of your bow.
If you're not going to use your weapon passives to increase your arrow damage, then where the hell else would it come from?
At least get Sneaking 3/4 to unlock Guerrilla Shots from range.

Cadmus

Arcane

All of your special arrows damage are based on % of your bow.
If you're not going to use your weapon passives to increase your arrow damage, then where the hell else would it come from?
At least get Sneaking 3/4 to unlock Guerrilla Shots from range.
So I was wrong thinking that TB weapon skill influences the bows as well?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom