Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Tytus

Arcane
Currently the whining on the Larian forums about the resistance caps is quite delicious.

Meh, I'm afraid it won't last and Larian removes them again if they feel too many people don't like them.
Seems the "we should be allowed to play the game the way we want" crowd is really addicted to godmode.

You have no idea. I see posts like this everywhere.

FtNjVoT.png

Gord

Arcane
:incloosive:

Oh boy, I really wonder where those guys come from.
The ancients knew what they were doing when they created idkfa and iddqd.

Although I have to admit that it sometimes provided some degree of sickly fun...

whatevername

Arcane
Anyone played it with 2 Gb of Ram ? The loading times are really killing me, I can play most of the AAA games but the isometric D:OS gives me a trouble. I fear for the upcoming Wasteland 2 release too, knowing the Unity engine.
You might be able to put 4GB into any Core Duo or later mobo as long as a 2GB stick will work in it and you have 2 slots. Even if your laptop/mobo manual says 2GB max.

----

Does this game get harder? I played till lvl 7 with 2 lone wolf mages and the fights get easier and more boring Anyone tried playing solo with 1 char and the 2nd just sits in town, like the way KOTOR 2 is played?

Jezal_k23

Honestly I started playing with 2GB of RAM and it was fucking killing me too. Upgraded to 6GB and everything changed for the better. Load times were much shorter, everything worked better, no more stuttering, it was beautiful. RAM was the problem. I checked how much it used, and it was using as much as 5GB at times. It's insane as fuck.

EDIT: Also motherfuckers. They want the game to have god mode abilities? FUCK. If people want an easy game they can already go and select the easy difficulty. But that's not enough and they want more? Dear god.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Currently the whining on the Larian forums about the resistance caps is quite delicious.

Meh, I'm afraid it won't last and Larian removes them again if they feel too many people don't like them.
Seems the "we should be allowed to play the game the way we want" crowd is really addicted to godmode.
It's pretty terrible because the number one complaint before this patch was that the game was too easy. Now people complain that it's not easy anymore. :roll:

DramaticPopcorn

Finally finished this game... and boy was it a drag... If it weren't for Renegen talking dirty to me in her sexy voice I would probably commit suicide after Luculla's forest.

Anyway, I kinda enjoyed the first few chapters, Cyseal was great. Abundance of interesting and intervowen side-quests the intriguing detective story, interesting combat encounters and mild puzzles really made for a promising start. After the first chapter it just slowly began turning into a real borefest with overabundance of filler fights, unrewarding and tedious exploration and the story itself turned into generic epic shlock. By hunter's edge I definitely couldn't give a shit about anything, just wanted to get the game over with. We had to cheese like fuck to avoid all the filler combat in that area and make it into the final dungeon.

In general, I liked art style and assets. The combat isn't too bad, either. It most definitely could do with a better AI, and a little more varied abilities within the different skill trees.

Renegen

Arcane
Bitch, interwoven? You never used that word in everyday conversation, who you're trying to fool? I bet you had a dictionary next to you while writing that last post. Don't believe this man's lies.

Overall, the game was pretty good but oh boy did it drag at the end. And it's not like the game even knew it was coming to an end, Hunter's Edge you had yet another 5 buildings filled with orcs to talk to, some c&c to be made, mysteries to be uncovered except it was all smaller than Cyseal and not in any way better. I kept hoping the game would have a 2nd massive town with many people to talk to and a lot of social gameplay but it just never happened. Instead you're trying to race to the end, but the game goes "tut tut" and tells you that you need to figure out which one of the 4 orcs is lying and has a hidden switch in his kitchen for you to progress any further. No hand holding makes sense when you actually care about the quests you're part of, either make it a grand finale with the most complex gameplay yet or just simplify it. And speaking of switches, the final trials sucked. Nothing says brain wracking puzzle like being forced to put on your perception gear and scouring every wall.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I avoided a lot of filler combat with Hide in Shadows + Teleporter Pyramid. Also high Charisma (yes I actually do win the RPS game more often than not).

Completely agree about the tiny wall switches. In fact I think they are the worst thing in the game.

After rescuing Icara I'm not really seeing a "epic" storyline though. Seems just like a love triangle issue.

And then Astarte and the Source and the Void is more like Pandora's Box than anything...

Last edited:

whatevername

Arcane
I'm gonna make chars called Vidomina and Septienna (zombies) on hard + difficulty mod and slaughter EVERYONE except those willing to become minions.... Quests? What are those?

SniperHF

Arcane
After rescuing Icara I'm not really seeing a "epic" storyline though. Seems just like a love triangle issue.

And then Astarte and the Source and the Void is more like Pandora's Box than anything...

On Epicness. Doesn't really bother me.

Well your heroes are human form reincarnated near god like spirit protectors from the past. The Void isn't just coming out of the box, it's already out of the box and now trying to destroy source and take over the world and such. So the plot is essentially regain your past glory as guardians and then stop the evil destroy the world plot of the Void forces.

Seems pretty epic to me.

Cadmus

Arcane
yeah btw it seems to me that my traits in the RPS change randomly, like sometimes I have 6 intimidate, sometimes 3, how come? Is there a reason for that or I simply forget I unequipped something?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
yeah btw it seems to me that my traits in the RPS change randomly, like sometimes I have 6 intimidate, sometimes 3, how come? Is there a reason for that or I simply forget I unequipped something?
It depends (A) on the attitude of the person towards you and (B) your dialogue choice. Unfortunately (B) has a very mild effect (no more significant than +1 or -1 to your score... you can see this if you have high enough Perception). I'd really like to see more significance of dialogue choice.

Gord

Arcane
I think that's due to the situation-dependent bonus or malus you can get. With high enough stats (probably perception) you can see numbers at the different options, those are the modifiers.

The patch was also supposed to make the roll on pressing space work correctly, so you could bypass RPS in favor of a proper roll. AFAIK it hasn't happened yet.

Cadmus

Arcane
So what does space do? I thought it quickly rolled all the RPS rounds randomly thus my bonus is still useful.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So what does space do? I thought it quickly rolled all the RPS rounds randomly thus my bonus is still useful.
I don't think that's fixed yet (haven't seen it in the patch notes). It's currently still a 50/50 chance with no modifiers but Forktong said they were change it to what you are saying.

Gord

Arcane
hiver is fighting the good fight over at the Larian forums against the agents of decline...

Is he still banned/prosperized here or is he just refusing to visit now?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So far, near the end of Hunter's Edge right now, I really like all the puzzles with the exception of the find-the-tiny-button ones (which like I said before, I think is the worst part of the game).

I kinda disliked the Immaculate Trial where you had to weigh down correctly the 4 platforms (not sure if I'm describing this well enough)... I basically ended up using trial and error. I couldn't find any clues. Were there actual clues? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

But most everything else (puzzle/secret wise) has been great. Some are based on C&C (like in Hiberheim where you can get clues if you side with the imprisoned Elementals. Sometimes you'll find clues if you explore an unrelated area thoroughly.

I mean, not saying this is the quality of an excellent adventure game, but I'm finding the "adventure" aspects of DOS to be very fun. Kinda a trend with Larian, I suppose, I liked Div2 (well, much more so the expansion than vanila) where there were also a lot of decent quality puzzles, riddles, secrets, etc.

I mean I agree the storyline is pretty linear, and the areas are much smaller than Cyseal, but if you explore every nook and cranny there are still a lot of secrets to find. And quite a few of those secrets give you clues on alternate paths of completing the main quests.

I still haven't found filler combat to be an issue. Charisma, Invisibility (and skills of similar nature), Teleporter Stone, Perception, etc. do a good job of avoiding any tedious combat. I avoided all of the goblins on the way to the mine. Then I also was able to not deal with any combat in the main Goblin village (Luculla forest still) because I got a hint earlier that
there was a Goblin Shaman controlling the Goblins via speaking through their totem lol
. In fact this hint was due to C&C, in that I decided to kill a certain NPC so that the other NPC it was enslaving gave me the clue. I had the choice of just letting the guy go but I didn't.

Also on some fights - mainly "boss" fights - I'm able to "cheese" by teleporting their minions out of the area. Btu honestly I don't find it cheesing as much as just utilizing the skills correctly. In this situation at least.

Now I say all that, but I'm still withholding all judgment on the game until I finish it. There's still quite a good chance that I will run into a lot of filler combat after Hunter's Edge. But at this point I've found many ways to avoid combat (and still get XP.. like charisma XP), or I've found that the filler combat is completely really really quickly. I'm using a mage maximizing all four elements, spending more specced out with Speed as his main attribute in order to generate as much AP as possible. This lets me do any elemental combo I want in the same character turn without having to try to combo magic from different party members and the difficulty of them not having the ideal Initiative/turn order that I want in order

I do have a pretty gimped party. Which makes it interesting because I get through trash/filler combat VERY easily, but usually have a hard time with bosses unless I come up with clever tricks. My mage is interesting tactically in the way I built him, but because it costs so much Ability Points to focus on all four schools, the higher level spells tend to have a higher AP cost (on that note.. maybe I should try using Spells of a more moderate level... hmm). And for the sake of variety my other characters/companions were a Marksman/Witchcraft, a pure Man-of-Arms (with a dash of Marksman so that I could use Tactical Retreat), and a pure Scoundrel. I didn't intentionally gimp the party, just wanted to have a variety of options. I did last night respect my Marksman/Witchcraft to a Man-of-Arms with a dash in each magic school (and Marksman 2 for Sidestep), which hopefully makes an effective Spellsword. Refocusing my Scoundrel to Marksman also, which isn't so bad because I had been giving him good Dexterity and some Perception in the first place). My other Man-of-Arms is basically a tank (Madora), literally have no problems with her, not sure if I need to spec her differently besides 1 point in Aerotheurge for Lightning Strike.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom