Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Tigranes, does the book disappear upon using it? I'm pretty sure you can use it with every character that you want to have the skill.

Tigranes

Arcane
Book disappeared, as if a standard +1 book. Well, we'll see how much of a slog the phantom forest becomes with one of my two guys crippled out of damage. Mortmal, the point is if you choose the 'wrong' thing in that quest then the entire sequence of triggers falls down.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh man, that sucks. Sorry for getting your hopes up (I was mistaken about that book being reusable)! Still, the Tenebrium damage isn't that huge, I'm sure you'll be fine with normal weapons - this isn't exactly a hard game, after all. :)

Mortmal

Arcane
Book disappeared, as if a standard +1 book. Well, we'll see how much of a slog the phantom forest becomes with one of my two guys crippled out of damage. Mortmal, the point is if you choose the 'wrong' thing in that quest then the entire sequence of triggers falls down.
Just putting any tenebrium ore, not especially troll king cave ore, works to finish the quest .I dont understand what do you mean by broken triggers there.

Tigranes

Arcane
If you choose to keep the ore and not return it to Brandon, he will leave in a huff - which means you cannot complete the Miner Ben quest, and you also do not receive the tenebrium skill from him. Naturally, I chose to give the ore to him, but the bloody party AI thing disagreed (despite having a Judge AI) and then won the RPS. Guh.

Anyway, yeah. I'll be fine. Thanks for the tips nevertheless Minttunator . This is likely to be my last playthrough for a while so I just wanted to see how much I could powergame my dudes.

jdinatale

Cipher
About to start playing, questions:

Are there any builds that just aren't viable for beating the game on normal, or can I just have fun with it?

I know it's subjective, but are any of the classes much more fun than others?

What's the best duo for a min-maxer power gamer?

Murk

Arcane
If you choose to keep the ore and not return it to Brandon, he will leave in a huff - which means you cannot complete the Miner Ben quest, and you also do not receive the tenebrium skill from him. Naturally, I chose to give the ore to him, but the bloody party AI thing disagreed (despite having a Judge AI) and then won the RPS. Guh.

Anyway, yeah. I'll be fine. Thanks for the tips nevertheless Minttunator . This is likely to be my last playthrough for a while so I just wanted to see how much I could powergame my dudes.

You'll have to forgive me but that's fucking hilarious. You got troll'd by your own companion AI, ahahahaha.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

You'll have to forgive me but that's fucking hilarious. You got troll'd by Sven's visionary multiplayer simulated AI personality that supposedly strengthens singleplayer.

skeptical.jpg

RK47

Patron

Rogue and Witch. Let Madora be the Leech tank.
You don't really need Jahan, but if you want him - OK.
Jahan can do the Air & Water magic.

I find the whole high-end magic AP cost too restrictive and not worth the investment.
It's best to just run with mid-level spells that are effective and cost little AP.
By mid game magic is king of Crowd Control while the Rogue & Warrior deals the raw damage.
Hell, even the final boss is vulnerable to crowd control.
When a combo looks too good - it means it is good.
Just remember to increase your INT so the status effects % chance of applied rolls will beat the willpower checks.
Also, spam Willpower & Resistance debuff with your fighters to give easier time for your magic.

dearwoody.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Rogue and Witch. Let Madora be the Leech tank.
You don't really need Jahan, but if you want him - OK.
Jahan can do the Air & Water magic.

I find the whole high-end magic AP cost too restrictive and not worth the investment.
It's best to just run with mid-level spells that are effective and cost little AP.
By mid game magic is king of Crowd Control while the Rogue & Warrior deals the raw damage.
Hell, even the final boss is vulnerable to crowd control.
When a combo looks too good - it means it is good.
Just remember to increase your INT so the status effects % chance of applied rolls will beat the willpower checks.
Also, spam Willpower & Resistance debuff with your fighters to give easier time for your magic.

dearwoody.jpg

RK, out of curiosity, how much time have you spent playing?

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
After some more time I have to agree that the combat while really interesting is too easy. I was finding it pretty challenging but then realized I had not fought hordes of weaker enemies. I found myself having to backtrack to other areas to advance the plot only to learn I had skipped a good number of encounters that I can now steamroll. Had I fought those earlier instead of fighting the higher level encounters in the area I would not have found the combat so challenging.

Next play-through I am definitely using two characters only.

RK47

Patron

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
So what was the statement that Swen made regarding MP making SP better? Was he referring to the increased amount of testing that has to be done in considering MP scenarios benefiting the SP experience?

RK47

Patron
So what was the statement that Swen made regarding MP making SP better? Was he referring to the increased amount of testing that has to be done in considering MP scenarios benefiting the SP experience?

All he's saying is that since the whole game is designed with MP in mind from the start - it has strengthened SP in some way.
This is hype speak. Even the evidence he presented didn't convince me at all.
PCG: Can you go into a little more detail on the kind of personalities that you're shipping in the update?

Vincke: We'll have a knight. That's what you can imagine. Then we'll have a rascal, a maniac, a judge— somebody who's very judgmental—a priest, and a free-spirit, They basically all have different traits that they prefer.

If you put in, let's say, a judgmental character, who would for instance refuse to hire a companion, that's a very big impact on your game right there. If you role-play through that, that really changes your game. It's something that can happen in multiplayer also, right? It's basically what we're trying to do. This gives single-players the feeling of what you get in co-op multiplayer, when you deal with the actions of somebody else.

Nice try, Sven. But people in co-op tend to...you know, cooperate. Not fucking randomly fuck the party up.
Which is what happened to Tigranes. His only solution is to outright murder his partner before talking to the guy. Then resurrect post quest completion.

PCG: Did you guys have a sense of the right way for someone to try to play this game? Is it really designed for multiplayer or is it designed to be single-player and the multiplayer is just a bonus for people who want to make that commitment?

Vincke: It's been designed from the bottom-up with the multiplayer in mind, under the motto that the multiplayer will make the single-player stronger. That sounds strange, so allow me to explain that.

[...] When you're playing it in multiplayer you can be rest assured that becomes very unpredictable, what people are doing. A lot of the development effort was actually focused around that. I'm really happy that we've done it, because typically people always say it dumbs a game down, the fact that you have the multiplayer, and I think in our case it actually strengthens it.

Which I concede it did not dumb the game down, MP is in no way strengthen the SP for me. In fact, whenever people bring up the irksome - 'multiple wallet in trade window' or the 'stupid discussion mini-game' it was all due to the co-op design taking place. That they simply didn't want to detach from the SP adds more to the annoyance. Party argument in SP should ALWAYS be disabled, there is no fix to 'random game of persuasion' to resolve C&C. It adds absolutely nothing to the game but extra clicks to resolve a persuasion check.

My only comfort in Multiplayer is the ability to spam pyramid teleport in real time to catch up with my party leader.
This way, I can lock camera on him, while leaving my character standing still. This way, I can see what was he doing, what's being said between conversations and actually get a better picture of the whole narrative instead of having him repeat what was discussed.

RK47

Patron

Tigranes

Arcane

You'll have to forgive me but that's fucking hilarious. You got troll'd by your own companion AI, ahahahaha.

Yup. But that's okay, that's how Marquis de Sade rolls.

Nearly done with Phantom Forest but the HP bloat is pretty silly. 9000 HP on one boss. Most damage my duo can do under ideal circumstances is probably about 2k.

Murk

Arcane
I see everyone bitching the same thing yet nobody acknowledge this stupid shit as a flaw.
So shut up man, because it's fun. Stop nitpicking.

look man i responded to you cuz you commented at me -- not my fault you bitch about a game you insist on playing nor am I telling you to stfu, do whatever the fuck but if it comes to saying things cuz it's fun well

your own words at ya

Felix

Arcane
I stuck at those death knights, is there anyway to not play Metal Gear Divinity?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom