Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Is anyone else having trouble with the game running very choppy & slow, even on the absolute lowest resolution, video settings, etc.? The game recommends that I run it with graphics on the 'high' preset, but it's running so poorly it's unplayable at any setting.

I tried running this on my old laptop, and it works fine. Runs smooth and everything, even though I have to put the graphics on very low.
Delete your profile and start a new game. This includes your save games unfortunately. But may just deleting the 'levelcache' dir on the savegame folder would fix it, i haven't tried. I do know this is a bug, and not a normal thing, because it happened to me and was 'fixed' after doing this (i wanted to restart at the time anyway). It hasn't happened again after the last patch after restarting fortunately, but i dont know if it wont.

Tried it, game still runs like crap, even on the main menu. Tried reinstalling, redownloading the setup file, updating drivers, still runs poorly.

what spec ? 32bit 64 bit ?
Window 8.1 64 bit
AMD A8-6500 3.5 GHz
8 GB RAM
AMD Radon HD 8570D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"One of my created characters was a 1h+shield, who I used mainly as a support character (buff/debuff/healer/knockdown/etc). He did decent damage, but with a ~70% block rate, and all resists well over 100%, he was practically invincible as he blocked essentially all physical attacks against him, and absorbed elemental attacks into healing.

Place him along side my 2h companion (Madora), and she did heaps of 2H damage while mister shield took the blows for the team. Worked great. Too great actually, because as you get farther into the game you realize AI doesn't adapt to the powers of your guys. Hell, the final boss did nothing but attack my invincible tank... didn't even attempt to switch targets."

Basically how I am playing. The game is nowhere near hard. Battles take awhile due to turnbase but the outcome is very rarely in doubt. i've died maybe 5 times in battle the whole game and alrgely because of being lazy. i think i've died aboutt he same because of HAHA! traps like the one by the WW's cabin. L0L

". What baffles me is how this 4 million dollar project put together by less than 50 Belgians inbetween Tabletop RPG sessions is a far superior product compared to what BioWare's and Bethesda's teams composed of hundreds of people with budgets of tens of millions can do."

HAHAHAHA

Bethesda sucks but this is nowhere as good as most BIO's games which have better story, better writing, better characters, better and more challenging combat, and simply are better. It's not even a cost.

But, I'll give you Beth b/c Beth sucks.

\That said, the game does some thing very well and some of the abilities are pretty cool and character building is by far the best part. Too bad the main story is shit. Maybe the worst - if not top 5 - worst 'Chosen One(s)' story ever. And,a nyone says the story doesn't matter. Bullshit. Trying to claim that the devs purposefully crafted shitty story with shitty wriitng is hilarious bullshit. I have no doubt there are no pre release interviews where they said the story would suck. LMAO

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Oh... look. My partner is in combat. Looks like it's time for a party.
Cast invis.
Use pyramid.
Combat starts. Rogue partner finished backstabbing the squishiest target.
Start with 9 AP.
Petrifying Touch.
Shocking Touch.
Freezing Touch.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
What do you guys? Jerk off and let the game play when you in the shower or eating? Remind me of the toolbags who claim BG2 is 100s of hours long. LMAO

otsego

Cipher
...mister shield took the blows for the team. Worked great. Too great actually, because as you get farther into the game you realize AI doesn't adapt to the powers of your guys. Hell, the final boss did nothing but attack my invincible tank... didn't even attempt to switch targets."

Basically how I am playing. The game is nowhere near hard. Battles take awhile due to turnbase but the outcome is very rarely in doubt. i've died maybe 5 times in battle the whole game and alrgely because of being lazy. i think i've died aboutt he same because of HAHA! traps like the one by the WW's cabin. L0L

I also forgot about resurrect scrolls because after dying 3-4 times in Cyseal (mainly as a level 4-6 exploring the place for the first time) you never die again... once you advance past that, tactics seem to devolve into simple brute force, with a bit of healing in between if an enemy randomly gets a critical hit or decides to focus-fire one of your guys... but thats a rarity (enemies bringing one of my mages about 50 hitpoints within death, only to change targets and go after a fully armored, fully healthy character). Obviously learning the systems plays a part in this.

Granted, I played and finished on normal, and my next playthrough will be with Lone Wolves and on Hard difficulty. Still, theres no denying that at first AI seems impressive (skeletons using fire and poison against you to almost one-shot your team) and tactics paramount... only to result in rinse-and-repeat combat using the same skills and maneuvers over and over with little variation.

Not that I blame the designers so much... a game of this scope and freedom coupled with the notoriously difficult task of compiling convincing AI is bound to leave a lot to be desired. Still, it's too bad that after such an amazing first impression that later in the game the AI becomes trivial, even downright retarded.

otsego

Cipher
Having completed the game and begun discussing the difficulty of it, I've also realized that the Braccus Rex fight was the most memorable and challenging part of Original Sin.

It was the only fight in the game that - once you got used to the mechanics and tactical thinking of the combat - threw a bone into your playing and made you go 'WHOA, I need to come up with something right now on the spot!'.

I managed to survive the first time without having to reload, but as soon as he opened with that Meteorstrike volley and nearly decimated my entire crew, the first thought that came to my mind was 'I'm going to need to savescum/reload to approach this better'... but I didnt, instead I figured I should get my guys out of his line of sight. My former savescum thoughts were reinforced when I noticed he had three minions with him...

But after studying the playing field I attacked it like you would... freeze the fire guy, stun the big guy, deal with the other smaller guys while you recoup and buff your guys into a position where they can deal with it head on.

For me, that fight was the defining and most memorable moment of the game, and I really wish there were more of those to be found as you progressed. I recall it like I recall the duel with the Master in Fallout 1 (and no, I'm not saying it's on the same level as meeting the Master :P )

Tigranes

Arcane
I think what happens in later levels is you don't really get new tactical options, and the number of ways in which you are vulnerable to the enemy decreases. I quit my first and second playthroughs at phantom forest, around lv15-17, because all I seemed to be able to look forward to were mass damage spells like winterblast, taking all resistances over 100% and getting the level 5 talents to make myself less vulnerable to status effects. The system does not remain robust enough, meaning after lv13-14 you're just doing the same thing. Braccus Rex is definitely one of the highlights.

Anyway, almost no RPG out there can sustain an experienced player who plays multiple times and tinkers with the system. Normal with 2 characters was hard for the first half-playthrough (super-gimped characters, it turns out), now Hard with 2 is a breeze. It can't really be helped most of the time.

Elthosian

Arcane
Luculla spoilers:

Do the goblin traders at the gobling village sell anything unique? My game bugged and now they just stand in front of the totem without my characters being able to talk to them, and my lastest save where they behave normally is before clearing Maradino's dungeon and dealing with Frederick :/

Perkel

Arcane
Tried it, game still runs like crap, even on the main menu. Tried reinstalling, redownloading the setup file, updating drivers, still runs poorly.

Window 8.1 64 bit
AMD A8-6500 3.5 GHz
8 GB RAM
AMD Radon HD 8570D

G3D Mark Relative to Top 10 Common Videocards
As of 26th of July 2014 - Higher results represent better performance
GeForce GTX 780
GeForce GTX 770
GeForce GTX 680
GeForce GTX 670
Radeon HD 7970 / R9 280X
GeForce GTX 760
GeForce GTX 580
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Radeon HD 7950
Radeon HD 8570D

Dude your GPU is crap

Drop resolution to 1024x768

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8570D.96587.0.html

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Window 8.1 64 bit
AMD A8-6500 3.5 GHz
8 GB RAM
AMD Radon HD 8570D

You are running it on APU, that will not work, APU are for low to medium games and strategies without heavy GFX.

You APU has 256 stream processors.
For comparison my 2 year old card has 960 faster CUDA cores, and it has dedicated RAM thus GFX data will not interfere with CPU.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Window 8.1 64 bit
AMD A8-6500 3.5 GHz
8 GB RAM
AMD Radon HD 8570D

G3D Mark Relative to Top 10 Common Videocards
As of 26th of July 2014 - Higher results represent better performance
GeForce GTX 780
GeForce GTX 770
GeForce GTX 680
GeForce GTX 670
Radeon HD 7970 / R9 280X
GeForce GTX 760
GeForce GTX 580
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Radeon HD 7950
Radeon HD 8570D

Dude your GPU is crap

Drop resolution to 1024x768

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8570D.96587.0.html

I'm playing this game on C2D 2.1GHz with Radeon HD 4650 (laptop!) on max details (but without additional effects like DoF or Bloom as they look terrible), except I turned shadows to very low and everything runs very smooth (the camera is a bit choppy although the game itself is not). His GPU is better, the only thing that is worse is APU, but it's not a great difference (320 vs 256), therefore the game should run smooth.

I suspect it might be WIndows 8 <--> driver issue.

Gord

Arcane
My next paycheck comes in soon. I'm not very knowledgeable about graphics cards. Do you have one you would recommend, at most around $200?

Don't overdo it. Spend 150 $/€ at most, since anything more expensive will likely just be held back by the CPU part of the APU.
Go for something like NVidia 750Ti/660, AMD R7 265/R9 270. Keep in mind that the next gen of GPUs is around the corner and will come out within 2 or 3 months, however.
If in doubt, open a thread in the SCIENCE! subforum.

Perkel

Arcane
I'm playing this game on C2D 2.1GHz with Radeon HD 4650 (laptop!) on max details (but without additional effects like DoF or Bloom as they look terrible), except I turned shadows to very low and everything runs very smooth (the camera is a bit choppy although the game itself is not). His GPU is better, the only thing that is worse is APU, but it's not a great difference (320 vs 256), therefore the game should run smooth.

I suspect it might be WIndows 8 <--> driver issue.

more like resolution problem. If you look at chart i posted anything above 1024x768 murders framerate.

Also 8570D is about 25% weaker than HD4650

Perkel

Arcane
My next paycheck comes in soon. I'm not very knowledgeable about graphics cards. Do you have one you would recommend, at most around $200?

Don't overdo it. Spend 150 $/€ at most, since anything more expensive will likely just be held back by the CPU part of the APU.
Go for something like NVidia 750Ti/660, AMD R7 265/R9 270. Keep in mind that the next gen of GPUs is around the corner and will come out within 2 or 3 months, however.
If in doubt, open a thread in the SCIENCE! subforum.

You can't add different GPU to notebook and his APU is in notebook. He will be probably buying new PC.
I would say he should buy used 7970 with guarantee left (custom cooling version)
I have this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-Ra...856?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item5d4e5e6208

u can find used for like 120-170$ Quiet as fuck card and cool (so OC is possible)

Last edited:
Some minor nitpicks.

1. Enemy animations may cause a foe to temporarily move out of the cursor, should the player click at the time this happens the character will run to where the cursor is targetting instead of the foe. This is mostly annoying when fighting small enemies whose animations wont just stand still.

Yeah, this can be annoying. It's a turn based game, I expect to be able to switch my brains to geriatric mode and still do well, not suffer because I failed once more in precision-clicking on a breakdancing zombie.

Another funny thing is having your guys burning and poisoned and at low hp when the last enemy unexpectedly dies and the game goes back to real time.

Minor things anyways, causing a moment of rage every now and then perhaps, but not turning the overall experience sour.

Avellion

Erudite
Some minor nitpicks.

1. Enemy animations may cause a foe to temporarily move out of the cursor, should the player click at the time this happens the character will run to where the cursor is targetting instead of the foe. This is mostly annoying when fighting small enemies whose animations wont just stand still.

Yeah, this can be annoying. It's a turn based game, I expect to be able to switch my brains to geriatric mode and still do well, not suffer because I failed once more in precision-clicking on a breakdancing zombie.

Another funny thing is having your guys burning and poisoned and at low hp when the last enemy unexpectedly dies and the game goes back to real time.

Minor things anyways, causing a moment of rage every now and then perhaps, but not turning the overall experience sour.
It happened 3 times so far for me with my glass cannon archer, resulting in my daily FUUUUUUUU- moment. Oh well, 3 times in 40 hours is not so bad. Like you said, just a minor annoyance and not something that changes the fact that this is a 4.5/5 game for me.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Finished the game. It's good, and I'm impressed that a game like this was made today and is successful. Still, it's not great. The story starts taking itself way too seriously towards the end, and the difficulty balance is just retarded. I was invincible since about lvl 13 with solid (not great) play. Items and money stopped being important. The only time I had to try hard was when I intentionally gathered enemies from several encounters into combat at once or when I attacked a small army not intended to be beat (ALL the mountain-men in Hunter's village bunched up in one place). This may partially be because the lone wolf+glass cannon combo is overpowered - hard at the start, but when you get glass cannon, you have so much AP your mage can basically CC everything (with low-level spells!), and your fighter can do the rest. Never used summons after the start, which are even more OP, I hear.

Still, overall I enjoyed the game and commend Larian for the great effort. I probably won't be replaying it again though, like I did even good but not great RPGs like Baldur's Gate.

4/5 if something like Fallout or the Witcher or Gothic 2 is 5/5. Very good but not great.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
For those who want faster animations - this still applies. x2 seems about right. Might mess up dialogue floats a bit, but who cares about the plot anyway, eh?

Sodafish

Arcane
Btw, re: wrongly levelled loot - does anyone know if that is a bug or Larian intentionally trolling people's expectations?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom