Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I restarted it 4 times. And abandoned 2 co-ops. I'm on my 3rd co-op.
We'll see.

These are all power gaming concerns. You don't have to care about them at all.

What you call "power gaming" I would call making intelligent decisions. After all, who would choose an inferior trait for their character when they can recognize a better option? Isn't the whole driving force behind RPGs to experience the sense of accomplishment you get from watching your characters grow stronger from the decisions you made over the course of their journey? Isn't that what makes RPGs fun?

Why then wouldn't you want your character to be as strong as can be?

Why would you role play someone who's flawed when you can be Gary Stu? The fact that the bolded line of yours is your 'definition' of RPG pretty much tells the story.

tumblr_lr0hwnYiWs1qlyxsm.gif

Cadmus

Arcane
I had more time to play yesterday and went to sleep at 3am. It's really fun but I'm dreading opening my inventory, there's just so much shit to sort through and I dislike that the characters have their own money. I really like the difficulty so far. On hard it feels just right. Now I'm near the end of solving the murder mystery, or so I believe. I even got used to the graphics and started liking it.

Cadmus

Arcane
With the way the healing spells work (no resources), the game should just max your health after combat. Just saves the player time as he/she will do it manually anyway and there are no times that this isn't viable (like if you had to rush into another encounter, or one was on its way to you with limited time for out of combat casting) :M.

Beds heal for free as well, so there's the town healing.
I don't want this but I don't know why. Maybe because it actually happens to me that I forget to heal up and enter the combat kinda fucked. It makes it interesting. I really try hard not to reload and do everything as it happens, even if it means wasting tons of potions or scrolls or getting a shitty chest drop.

I think that it's stupid to automatically heal everyone when the battle is over, because it feels so cheap and gamey. Dunno, can you argue against it a bit more maybe?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I kinda felt it's almost a non factor at late game.
At start if you start with no self heals, you may suffer a bit, drinking pot here and there, but yes - by mid game - hell even Jahan starts with Water spell.
So there's no excuse.

Black

Arcane
Does Quickdraw reduce ap usage of melee weapons too? It says ranged only but I swear it says -1 on every one of them.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Healing is only a problem if you restrict yourself from almost all the ways and only go with maybe healing patch and items. Makes first act hard.
But then even fighters get 100+ resistances everywhere and heal themselves. Zombie&Leech become quite important and cool. But again, after midgame you can heal anyone with any sort of surface. Run around with fire&poison resists and boots with immunity to ice.

After trying fighters and scoundrels I'd say at least 1 man at arms is really cool for Nulify Resists. And scoundrel with proper buffs outdamages fighters. Sure they have Flurry, but Flurry has 10+ turns cooldown. It does great damage, but Scoundrel with Oath+Nulify Resists and hight crit is a lot better. Backstab for 500 damage crits. And one hit only takes 2 AP. And you can have a lot of ap. Just 10 ap and his inborn Haste is already crazy good. And he also has Daggers Drawn that is a Flurry equivalent.

Fighters are also good but more because of option to get 80%+ block chance and Nulify Resists, and Bullrush is handy. When it comes to damage and CC there isn't anything scoundrel can't do that fighter can. Funny enough 15 level Snakebite rare dagger is good through whole game because of very low damage fork on all daggers.

So for supah ultimate party (ie murder boss in 2 rounds) I'd say things you have to cover are Nulify Resists, Soulsap and a few Blind's. Fighter, Scoundrel, Witch 5/something ~3+3 (Water for heals, Air for Tele) does it. Last char can be DPS fighter or mage.
I don't like Rangers after midgame. They are so-so utility and so-so damage, fighter can do better damage, mage can into better utility.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Does Quickdraw reduce ap usage of melee weapons too? It says ranged only but I swear it says -1 on every one of them.
Tested on Icara, unfortunately not.
A shame, it would've been worth spending points on marksman 5 on 1ap backstabs:M

Shadenuat

Arcane
Can just make him a Glass Cannon. It will be a nightmare before midgame but after you get enough CC and make your Scoundrel at least immune to Fire it's probably a trait worth picking up.

Damn I really should have picked up that trait after 15 level or so.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Burning/Poison are so op on first map I think it would be frustrating to try and get scoundrel into position with GC. You might not even make it out of some random pile of goo or flame if that of happenings.
Then again I played with almost no magic whatsoever on my second run so no tele/rain etc.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
With the way the healing spells work (no resources), the game should just max your health after combat. J

This is exactly why they should have done it. Healing effectively has no resource cost outside of combat. Developers should be mindful of that, instead of testing your ability to withstand tedious boredom by casting Jahan's heal on everyone repeatedly after a combat. There is not point.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
By the way, I am not just a casual gamer like most people. I spend at least 10 hours a day, every day playing games. I don't play like a child, I play like an adult.

Literally started laughing out loud in the office.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Also, complaining about stealing is kind of dumb. On my first playthrough I didn't steal anything that wasn't plot related, and I was still swimming in gold. Stealing might break the economy or whatever, but the economy is already kind of broken anyway.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Don't approach combat like its a rogue like and you should suffer plenty of deaths to characters, at least through mid game which is about where I am at. Maybe it gets too easy later or once you are in your second play-through and meta cones in. At lower levels a solid 1-2 punch by a few archers can be devastating.

I do think the archers have the best AI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom