Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin, Larian's Turn- and Party-Based RPG

MCA
Yeah, because non-gamers just love turn-based, CoD MW4 is going to be turn-based co-op, did you know? Don't try too hard, man.

I understand you are not very intelligent and have trouble with reading comprehension but stop to think about it for a moment before giving in to your first impulse to post crap: NON-GAMER. Non-gamers don't play COD or anything that requires anything more than a mouse or just a couple of keys. At most, non-gamers play shit like visual novels or shit like FarmVille.

And when you hear it right from the source that they wanted to make a game that people can sit and play with their girlfriends... think about it: what does that even mean? Is a girlfriend an alien organism that requires special catering? A different type of game? Is there nothing you can't play with your girlfriend? The only sensible conclusion is that the girlfriends in question are non-gamer folks.

Welcome to ConsoleCodex. Posters can't even comprehend what they are reading without a fucking quest compass.

Yeah, because non-gamers just love turn-based, CoD MW4 is going to be turn-based co-op, did you know? Don't try too hard, man.

I understand you are not very intelligent and have trouble with reading comprehension but stop to think about it for a moment before giving in to your first impulse to post crap: NON-GAMER. Non-gamers don't play COD or anything that requires anything more than a mouse or just a couple of keys. At most, non-gamers play shit like visual novels or shit like FarmVille.

And when you hear it right from the source that they wanted to make a game that people can sit and play with their girlfriends... think about it: what does that even mean? Is a girlfriend an alien organism that requires special catering? A different type of game? Is there nothing you can't play with your girlfriend? The only sensible conclusion is that the girlfriends in question are non-gamer folks.

Welcome to ConsoleCodex. Posters can't even comprehend what they are reading without a fucking quest compass.

I don't know, it does sound a bit fishy, but why would he make an isometric, turn-based game if he wants to make a shitty little game for non-gamers? There are plenty of other choices to make the game more appealing to his non gaming girlfriend...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ah, but Swen didn't say he's making a game to play with any random girlfriend. He's making a game he wants to play with his girlfriend. Maybe she's :obviously:! Maybe she's Crooked Bee! :troll:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Sounds terrible.

The party mechanic sounds completely gimmicky, designed for co-op sounds completely gimmicky and it seems to be targeted at casual gamers.

You guys lack taste, you shouldn't get excited about every game that just so happens to be turned based and have more than one unit controlled at a time.

kaizoku

Arcane
I'm a bit confused about this one. It's as if he's firing at all directions.
On one side you have: turn based, party based, top level view.
On the other one you have xbox port, co-op, bloom. These ones don't necessarily affect gameplay, but yeah...

Haraldur

Augur
Excited Troll

To be fair, most of the stuff the codex is excited about wont be out until 2013.

2013 will be like this:

weqqc.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Going to need more info/see how the game actually turns out.

Angthoron

Arcane

Ah right, so that's why Larian isn't making this for Facebook or iPad, because that's how small independent developers maximize their non-gamer exposure.

YOU MADE ME ALMOST FALL FOR YOUR TROLL YESTERDAY BECAUSE I HADN'T SLEPT BUT NOW I SLEPT SO YOUR MAGIC HAS NO EFFECT.

Ah, but Swen didn't say he's making a game to play with any random girlfriend. He's making a game he wants to play with his girlfriend. Maybe she's :obviously:!

EDIT: Maybe she's Crooked Bee! :troll:
As long as it isn't Coco or whatever that thing's name was. Also, poor Crooked Bee, seems she's being the girlfriend of just about any worthwhile dev these days.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Turn based? Oh, God, yes. Borrowed the first Divinity from a friend, not long ago. Loved graphics, atmosphere, voice acting, but FUCK, as soon as I saw it was a hack 'n' slash my boner immediately faded into nothingness. If this one has anything to do with the first one, but with turns... it shall be decent! Yes!

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
The promotional video clearly shows one or two Xbox 360s when they're demonstrating the game, guys. It's coming to 360.
It clearly shows two screens, two thin keyboards on the tables and the guys are probably using gamepads. For all I know, these may be two small PCs for the living room. I've seen cases that look like an X-box or other living room devices.
Not that I'm sure of course, I just go by the RPGWatch preview. :)

Example
nettop1.jpg

Repressed Homosexual
Sven has also been on record to say that most people at Larian played games on consoles and they couldn't be ignored. It would be extremely surprising.

Repressed Homosexual
It's probably harder for them to get someone to distribute the 360 version in stores, while on the PC (and Mac), they already have a fairly big fanbase in Europe, and the game can be distributed digitally. They did have a different distributor for the 360 version of Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga at least.

Once they find it, an announcement of the 360 port will surely follow.

Stabwound

Arcane
After watching the video, I'm a lot more excited about the game. It looks a lot better in motion compared to the bloomy screenshots, and hell, the combat looks pretty good. Then again, Divine Divinity is one of my favorite games, and Divinity 2 was pretty enjoyable too.

On the downside, I'm pretty concerned about the 2 character system. The multi-character dialogue is unique, but it sounds like it could suck. We'll see. Beyond Divinity had the 2-player thing and wasn't well-recieved and I guess they're hell bent on the 2-character idea.

On the downside, I'm pretty concerned about the 2 character system. The multi-character dialogue is unique, but it sounds like it could suck. We'll see. Beyond Divinity had the 2-player thing and wasn't well-recieved and I guess they're hell bent on the 2-character idea.

I was wondering about how they want to handle the dialogue between the two main characters in single player mode, too:

Marquess Cornwallis said:
Swen, one thing I am curious about that I haven't seen confirmed explicitly about the dialogue system so far: playing in single player mode, is the player given control over both of the main characters' dialogue choices or do they get to control only one of them, with some sort of AI planned for the other character that might occasionally contradict you (much like another player would in co-op mode)?
Swen Vincke said:
@Marquess - so the idea is that in single player you can select a character type for the AI in which case the AI will answer in line with his character. Alternatively, you can opt to always have it your way, in which case the AI will not interfere. It's really up to you personal preference, though putting the AI on random will give you the most fun imho.
I'm not all that sure about the unpredictable personality setting being the most fun (it could be, in a Bloodlines Malkavian playthrough sort of way), but I guess that's mostly up to personal preference. Other than that the system sounds good, especially given what they said elsewhere about the decision making mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom