Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #67: Enhanced Edition Officially Announced

Disgruntled

Savant
Im never going to cheer for enhanced editions driven by console releases. Its the first step to decline. We've seen it time and time again, most recently with Witcher.
Of course with theses kickstarted rpgs, the production values are so low its easier for them to cater for both audiences... for now.

God forbid the PS4 and Xbone releases bring them Bethesda money. They'll forget about the hardcore PC supporters and 'sticking it to those greedy publishers' in a flash.

Tigranes

Arcane
This whole deal just cements the notion that release is the new beta and that you have to wait for about 6 months to a year for the full release. Thankfully I haven't yet touched D:OS and while I was contemplating on starting POE, i won't. I'm pretty sure that Obsidian will also spit out an EE edition of sorts when they'll release the expansion.

Funnily enough, the only people who care about how unfinished the release versions must be - are the people who didn't play it (or hardly played it).

People who played the release liked it and will enjoy the EE when it comes out. People who hold themselves back and speculate just miss out either way.

SniperHF

Arcane
Funnily enough, the only people who care about how unfinished the release versions must be - are the people who didn't play it (or hardly played it).

People who played the release liked it and will enjoy the EE when it comes out. People who hold themselves back and speculate just miss out either way.

I like seeing how the cake is made from the first release be it official or beta all the way to EE. That's far more interesting to me than playing the "one true version".

Also from Swen on the blog:
We've actually trimmed some of the combat in the Phantom forest zone so that we can get people faster into the new ending zones.

:incline:

Phantom Forrest was shit. I'd have burnt down 70% of it.

thesoup

Arcane
evdk
When I get my internetz back we shall play. And finish it this time. (unless I temporarily move 800km half way through the game again)

Ninjerk

Arcane
This whole deal just cements the notion that release is the new beta and that you have to wait for about 6 months to a year for the full release. Thankfully I haven't yet touched D:OS and while I was contemplating on starting POE, i won't. I'm pretty sure that Obsidian will also spit out an EE edition of sorts when they'll release the expansion.

I'll certainly give it a look. How they rework it should tell us something about this RPG mill they're starting.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Obviously you're talking about people that can devote a shitload of time playing and replaying 60h games. Since I don't have the time anymore, I can't really do that, especially now that there are a lot of noteworthy games to play. My most recent experience is with W2. The game was OK, but it really felt rushed, unpolished and unfinished in a lot of segments, and a couple of months after playing it news about the EE come out. That made me feel cheated because I devoted over 50h on W2 and while I enjoyed a lot of it, I eventually dropped it while in Hollywood because of the above reasons and sadly now I have no inclination, or time, to replay it.

Zetor

Arcane
There's nothing wrong with wanting the first (and probably only) playthrough of a game to be as high-quality as possible. If companies keep releasing "90% complete" games, the trend of 'wait until the enhanced edition' will keep going.

I put about 20 hours into DivOS at launch... got through Cyseal and finished about 1/2 of the next zone, at which point I lost interest. I've been thinking about going back and finishing it up, but I'd like my 50+ hour time investment to give me the best experience possible. So once I heard there were going to be some improvements made to the game, I decided to wait until the "final definitive GOTY director's cut enhanced edition" was released and most of its bugs squashed. Same with replaying WL2 on Supreme Jerk difficulty, btw... I'll wait until the GOTY version is out and the most egregious bugs patched before the replay. I'll probably not be replaying the game any more times after that, so better make it count!

edit: recently I've taken to just not playing most KS'd games until they're either patched into an acceptable state, or I've run out of other games to play (which is not going to happen anytime soon). F'rex, Warmachine:Tactics is in limbo until they patch in a less braindead AI (as they promised). I'll hold off on playing Serpent in the Staglands until the first few patches unless there's overwhelming evidence that it works great out of the box. If I had more sense, I would've waited more before playing Telepath Tactics, too, but no way to turn back now...

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I put about 20 hours into DivOS at launch... got through Cyseal and finished about 1/2 of the next zone, at which point I lost interest.
You will not believe the amount of people that suffered from the same thing. Act 2 is where most people leave the game. It's endemic.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I put about 20 hours into DivOS at launch... got through Cyseal and finished about 1/2 of the next zone, at which point I lost interest.
You will not believe the amount of people that suffered from the same thing. Act 2 is where most people leave the game. It's endemic.
It's bullshit, there's still a shitload to do in Luculla and Hilberheim. It's mindblowing.

SniperHF

Arcane
It's bullshit, there's still a shitload to do in Luculla and Hilberheim. It's mindblowing.

Hunter's Edge is really good and so few have played it. The balance problems with loot and low monster difficulty level were a problem in Hiberheim that kept me enjoying it. Though I did like the boss fight.

Luculla was just okay but I don't think it's as big a drop off as made about it normally. Especially when you consider that Cyseal really drops a bit in quality in the burned areas and the graveyard encounters compared to the earlier 2/3rds.

Drowed

Arcane

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/230230/achievements

"Bullshit" or not, it's the truth: Not even 20% of the people on STEAM even met the Conduit. Even if there's a lot to do there, most people leave the game before they see that content.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Act 1 is pretty polish because of the early access feed back they got, lots of things were change for the better due to the feedback. It's a shame that Larian decided not to release Act 2 during Beta/Early Access, if they had ACT 2 would be more polished. Here's hoping they really improved things after all the complaints post Act 1.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

"Bullshit" or not, it's the truth: Not even 20% of the people on STEAM even met the Conduit. Even if there's a lot to do there, most people leave the game before they see that content.
I checked that before posting :3

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Most people are retards.

SniperHF

Arcane
Act 1 is pretty polish because of the early access feed back they got, lots of things were change for the better due to the feedback. It's a shame that Larian decided not to release Act 2 during Beta/Early Access, if they had it would've ACT 2 would be more polished. Here's hoping they really improved things after all the complaints post Act 1.

I agree with that but there is also a lot of post Cyseal content that player feedback would not have helped. The increased amount dungeon slog for example. Larian would not have been able to change that in time. The biggest drop off for me though between Cyseal and Luculla is that the discovery angle is greatly diminished. There's less stuff to figure out like the remote control, the dog alternate solution, or stuff like finding random quests buried in a grave.

Also they were still showing videos about how they were finishing Luculla and such within 6 months of release so it simply might not have been playable.

I checked that before posting :3

It's a pretty common thing in general not just with D:OS. More exaggerated with D:OS since there is a clear immediate drop in quality at an exact transition point. Where as in other games the spread of when people quit early might be more distributed.

Expeditions: Conquistador - only 18.6% got to Mexico. The first part of E:C is probably pretty close in length to Cyseal.
WL2 - 13.0% went to California. More time sure, but lower percentage.
Dragonfall - 19.5% watched all the DVDs which are automatically unlocked in a short game.

My sentiments are somewhere in the middle, I didn't think Luculla or Hiberheim had anything particularly memorable to offer, but they didn't bore me to tears to the point where I quit and never played again. I played through them, Hunter's edge was good. I didn't feel that crippling boredom that everyone goes on about until the ghost forest or w/e, hated that place, just a bunch of shitty trash combat with my least favourite enemy type(Ghosts) in a big ass laggy map with over the top hp bloat, still can't be arsed to go back and finish it.

Rest of the game was still good overall, definitely not as bad as people make it out to be post Cyseal.

Tigranes

Arcane

Obviously you're talking about people that can devote a shitload of time playing and replaying 60h games. Since I don't have the time anymore, I can't really do that, especially now that there are a lot of noteworthy games to play. My most recent experience is with W2. The game was OK, but it really felt rushed, unpolished and unfinished in a lot of segments, and a couple of months after playing it news about the EE come out. That made me feel cheated because I devoted over 50h on W2 and while I enjoyed a lot of it, I eventually dropped it while in Hollywood because of the above reasons and sadly now I have no inclination, or time, to replay it.

If you don't have the time and just say OK I'll play it when it's done, no problem. I think there's a lot of people who say "I want to play but I'm waiting for the best version", or even, "I don't want them to keep patching and EE'ing because I'll feel like I miss out" - and, as a milder version of that, your 'feeling cheated' because they improved W2 after you were done.

I mean, I'm not attacking you here, I just think in general it's a bit silly to deliberately hold yourself back if you really really want to play it. If you don't mind waiting, then just wait - if you do, then just play. If it was so fun and so great, you'll find time to play it again sometime in the future, and if it wasn't the best thing in the world, then you're not missing out on that much by not playing the enhanced version.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I didn't feel that crippling boredom that everyone goes on about until the ghost forest or w/e, hated that place, just a bunch of shitty trash combat with my least favourite enemy type(Ghosts) in a big ass laggy map with over the top hp bloat, still can't be arsed to go back and finish it.
Separate one character from the party -> Walk in Shadows -> Teleporter Pyramid your party in when you reach your destination.

Torrasque01

Augur
I hope this EE makes D:OS qualify for the Codex RPG rankings this year so that PoE doesn't even hit top 3, like Wasteland 2 last year. The butthurt will be delicious.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom