Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #57: Beta release on April 1st, day/night cycles removed

Angthoron

Arcane
Could be amusing if on April 1st they launch the beta and there's actual day/night cycle and they'll be like HA! APRIL'S FOOLS.

A pity about the cycle, but really not unexpected, the amount of work they added for themselves with those stretchgoals was already impressive. Of course, I could've waited longer to get day&night and the appropriate scripts, but a company actually needs cash flow and I'm guessing you can't have that if you develop one game forever.

So, yeah. Good that they had that million, imagine if it was just barely the goal, or 750k - how much stuff wouldn't see the light of day, or would have to be axed?

Why isn't Notch showering them with money anyway, isn't that like his thing these days.

:Flash:

Arcane
In some previous update they explained how they had to change all the house models in order to make enough room for beds for every person. In most cases they added a second floor.
Does that mean that the game is now full of empty bedrooms?

Edifice

Educated
Sucks that they had to cut day/night cycles, but the alpha was fun enough as is so I'll just deal with it.

:bro: To David for his Napalm Death hoodie and Obituary t-shirt.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, Roguey is gonna have a field day with this bit of news. Personally I do not care that much, better no day/night cycle than a botched one.
Damn right.

In some previous update they explained how they had to change all the house models in order to make enough room for beds for every person. In most cases they added a second floor.
Does that mean that the game is now full of empty bedrooms?
Hee. They can put loot in those rooms and it'll be fine.

Angthoron

Arcane
Isn't it possible it will be implemented at a later stage? *coughdlccough*
It's entirely possible. Much of the systems must be in place already, but doing it for the whole world takes plenty of time, and if they have a deadline AND are in crunch mode, that's just an insane workload to go through.

This is actually kinda my "beef" with KS - devs offering stretch marks goals is awesome and all, but oftentimes the things the goals offer are not actually worth the extra 250K or whatnot in terms of dev time, so they end up shooting themselves in the foot with such things, I'd imagine.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a shame about the NPC schedules, but I don't really mind, to be honest. Maybe they can do them later as a DLC, if the game sells well.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I get the impression that they're in a bad place and don't want to even suggest such a thing. Larian could be heading for a Troika. Which makes Original Sin the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Shevek

Arcane
These guys are doing some great work. I am not usually one to pay to play a beta but I might just be suckered into getting the early access.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Day/night cycle not being in sucks. It's a shame they could implement it. On the other hand, if it meant that the game became a mess, maybe it's for the better.

Do we have a release date for this yet?

BrickManslab

Educated
Wasn't day/night the one where they were like "Well... we didn't really hit this last goal, but, fuck it we'll do it anyway!" ?

I don't have feelings one way or the other on it, I suppose I worry a bit that later areas, (since they now don't have to worry about giving people beds and shit), will feel different stylistically than early towns but I dunno how that all works maybe they're already made up

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, will the game be constant day or constant night? Will it be like DD, or fallout, that had day/night without having heavy schedules?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
sucksto be an aesthetics fag :( This game looks interesting but the cheap MMOs style interface design is such a turn off for me.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Isn't it possible it will be implemented at a later stage? *coughdlccough*
It's entirely possible. Much of the systems must be in place already, but doing it for the whole world takes plenty of time, and if they have a deadline AND are in crunch mode, that's just an insane workload to go through.

This is actually kinda my "beef" with KS - devs offering stretch marks goals is awesome and all, but oftentimes the things the goals offer are not actually worth the extra 250K or whatnot in terms of dev time, so they end up shooting themselves in the foot with such things, I'd imagine.

The only game I was happy about stretch goals for was Torment since its a storyfag game and I wanted them to get all those other writers involved. But I hate this dumb shit like we'll add 20 level dungeons and 10000 manhours of superfluous content/features. Anyways no day/night cycle D:OS is no big deal to me so whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom