Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
It would be great if Age of Decadence was very accessible. Not in the sense that it should be easier, i’m talking about its graphics and interface.
If he was talking about difficulty then I would agree with him, but he's talking about AoD's graphics and interface, which I wouldn't have thought would be the main reason for the game being "inaccessible" to players. I'd assume difficulty and "too much reading" would be on the top of the list.

set

Cipher
Considering many "gamers" these days play on phones, I don't think AoD's graphics are a problem.

If you're trying to convince a casual to play Liberal Crime Squad, Dwarf Fortress or Nethack - they won't. Just because the graphics/UI barrier is way too high. For AoD? It's not that at all, smartphone games have dozens of millions playing them and they look like total shit. It's the gameplay he's secretly talking about - and how it's presented.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
People have different expectations between phone games and PC games, especially 3D PC games that cater people who call themsleves "gamer" or enthusiast.

If devs have enough money and time, it would be good to have nice graphics, UI and other accessible features without compromising its charm. I think it's required if it's aiming a sustainable business to keep making big RPGs instead of hobby or lifework.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
- An extension is possible or not?

We're going to do, for sure. Come on, that's for sure, when there's enough sales. In fact, I think we have enough sales to warrant an extension. It's the cool thing with the Early Access. Well, you see that everything that was done in the game, it was done for adventures above.

[From the same interview, Google translation]

:dance:

And that was a month before the actual release? If that's the time when interview took place...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Considering many "gamers" these days play on phones, I don't think AoD's graphics are a problem.

If you're trying to convince a casual to play Liberal Crime Squad, Dwarf Fortress or Nethack - they won't. Just because the graphics/UI barrier is way too high. For AoD? It's not that at all, smartphone games have dozens of millions playing them and they look like total shit. It's the gameplay he's secretly talking about - and how it's presented.

It sounds to me like he didn't play the game enough to realize how radically different its gameplay is from the RPG norm.

I agree that the focus on graphics is a bit strange.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
What exactly is wrong with AoD's UI? I remember trying the first demo, and it seemed allright back then, certainly not so much worse than the interface of D:OS as to stop someone from enjoying the game. Especially since the latter suffers from having to accomodate coop.

SniperHF

Arcane
It might be partially the look. Also the round buttons at the bottom are not immediately obvious as to what they do. The Help screen isn't integrated in the game like some of the new combat explanations are. General lack of tool tips, especially when Swen last saw it. Different attacks are 'hidden'. And it's just intimidating to someone who would need all those things anyway.

If you compare it to DOS for example, all your abilities have a little picture which indicates what they do to some extent. Your HP isn't just a number but a bar showing your current HP relative to your max. In AOD to see your max you need to open the character screen. AP in DOS is easier to 'feel' out in the sense that if you mouse over to something or click a skill your AP cost will be reflected by the dots on the bottom of the UI in red. In AOD it's just a number.

DOS has more functionality issues then accessibility ones. AoD's interface is quite functional for what you need but you do have to learn it a bit.

Unless of course Set was right and he's just secretly talking about gameplay.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He probably thinks of the placeholders, as in the trading screen or in the options.

set

Cipher
It's amazing he even knows of the game, to be frank. It's pretty obscure right now. It's a niche game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Niche or not, it's been pimped quite a bit on various gaming sites.

Black

Arcane
I dunno, have you seen some of the games on newer phones? Shit's crazy.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
I dunno, have you seen some of the games on newer phones? Shit's crazy.
Yeah, and you can play them for what, fifteen minutes tops, before either the battery runs out of charge or the phone shuts down from overheating? Useless overhyped crap. *hates "smartphones" with a passion*

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Damn, DOS is sinking like the Titanic (#33). I know it had to happen, but I was hoping it could hold until the next sale. Lack of news and not enough mods are also to blame. Well, time to watch W2 trends now....

jdinatale

Cipher
Damn, DOS is sinking like the Titanic (#33). I know it had to happen, but I was hoping it could hold until the next sale. Lack of news and not enough mods are also to blame. Well, time to watch W2 trends now....

I'm not sure how long you were expecting a niche computer RPG to remain in the top 10, but as long as it did was miraculous.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's the sale. The game still sells like 2nd-3rd game from ea toplist, so better then it ever did before the release. They should be happy about that at this point.

Mortmal

Arcane
Its back to top 1 today, could it be this game will end up selling like a blizzard game do ?
I could see that happen , user scores at metacritic is at 9.2 something rarely seen too. No doubt they will be able to afford any ip they want after that .

Yeah, no - I can see it selling well, but let's not get our hopes up too much. It isn't Diablo, and I doubt many companies, even fairly successful ones, could "afford any IP they want". It's just unrealistic.

If this game is successful, though, I don't see why they'd actually need to buy any existing IP at all. Like, what's the point? Unless it's something like Swen's childhood dream to make a game in the X franchise (in which case that's gotta be Ultima).

They dont need any existing IP but maybe they are big fan of one , maybe they are larping in secret with dragonlance costumes...As for the game not being diablo, well i think it captures a lot of what made blizzard games popular.If it reach the million sales, i will proudly quote myself with a big i told you so !

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...lf-a-million-copies.94123/page-3#post-3484314
Crooked Bee see!

An half told you so , but the game is still selling and its not christmas yet.

Divinity: Original Sin
Volourn came with this million or bust after I dig a recent interview with swen where he said divdiv sold about a 1 million copies by now. It takes the whole lifetime of the game into account, and it's swen best guess.

Also:

Achievement unlocked: Busted!

bust-of-female-bust.jpg

Locked achievement (must be reached in less than 12 years): Suck it, GTA V.

a-million-bucks1-600x387.jpg

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So how many did it end up selling?
Also, what are some good classes to start off with building? I'm gonna replay and rebuild new characters. Better characters.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter

I'm not sure how long you were expecting a niche computer RPG to remain in the top 10, but as long as it did was miraculous.

Expected? A few days top. Hoping for? A few years, thus outselling Skyretarded and all the other "RPG" junks out there.

It is still going up and down like crazy (especially if you take out the game on sale), so it is still selling. Realistically, I hope they reach 1 million within a year after release. They deserve that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom