Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Or maybe he was referring specifically to GD in that paragraph.
that's what a gdtard would say. let's seee...
catfood's stats said:
1. General Discussion 1,055 29%
quod erat demonstrandum.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Another love declaration from Swen to the Codex :

Swen said:
I don't know, because, the Codex has pros and cons ! At least it's always sobering. Nobody agrees with anybody there, that's part of its charm. So, you have lots of opinions and somewhere, buried, there's a truth, and you have to find it. It's always hard to find. But in general, they appreciate, they are good... There, I like the Codex, that's not a secret.

That's part of very lenghty interview he gave at rpgfrance a month before D:OS' release : http://www.rpgfrance.com/dossier-10273-1-interview-avec-swen-vincke-partie-2
Thanks for linking this part of the innevrview Baalka had with Swen.

He also told Attic was a publisher for Larian in the early days ( The Lady The Mage & The Knight) .Attic has even sent some of their own developpers into Larian.When Attic bankrupted, those guys stayed at Larian, so many at Larian were from Germany (at one time, half of the people even).But with the distance, those german developpers returned home, but some of them stayed until Divinity 2
Divinty 2 was a great success in Germany, about 200k copy were sold there
Surprisingly, we could have think Germany was the most potential fanbase home, but actually, it seems the US was heavily awaiting D:OS

Nice info from Swen, for those who didn't knew this

Part 1:
http://www.rpgfrance.com/dossier-10272-1-interview-avec-swen-vincke-partie-1

Part 2:
http://www.rpgfrance.com/dossier-10273-1-interview-avec-swen-vincke-partie-2

Part 3 soon come

But originally, this innerview was planned to be published at the D:OS launch time, unfortunatly, Baalka had to spend 1 month at hospital, then the Gamescom arrived.

Another fine revelation from Swen (in the part 1) is about the projects/setting he would like to develop:

À l'avenir, vous comptez explorer l'univers de Divinity, ou vous avez des projets pour d'autres licences?
Ouais, parfois j'envoie des mails à des licences qui m'intéressent ou que je voudrais faire. J'avais, par exemple, dans le temps, Game of Thrones, La Stratégie Ender (Ender's Game en VO)... On a demandé pour Dune, mais personne nous répond, alors on continue à demander. La dernière fois, j'avais demandé aux gens de Pathfinder, je disais pourquoi pas, on met votre système dans un moteur comme Original Sin, et voilà on va voir.

I wish all will be translated and linked here

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Translation of the excerpt above:
In the future, are you planning to explore the Divinity setting, or do you have projects based on other licenses?
Yep, sometimes I send e-mails to licenses that interest me or that I want to do. For example, over time, Game of Thrones, The Ender Strategy (original title Ender’s Game)… I have asked for Dune, but nobody replied, so we continue asking. The last time, I had asked the folks at Pathfinder, I said why not, we’ll put your system in an engine like Original Sin, and then we’ll see.

I say it's high time for a new Dune game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah. All we know is Obsidian is doing a Pathfinder Card Game, and *possibly* a Pathfinder cRPG.

It won't be turn-based.............

I hope they returned Sven's call on doing a TURN-BASED Pathfinder.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fuck Dune, Pathfinder would be fucking AWESOME!
the problem with larian doing either of those is that larian has some habits that are fucking bad, both design and gameplay wise, like the ridiculous power difference between levels or leveled loot (both items rewards being level based and the items themselves having levels).

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
RPGfrance published the third and last part of their interview with Swen : http://www.rpgfrance.com/dossier-10274-1-interview-avec-swen-vincke-partie-3

At some point during the interview, they talk about Age of decadence and Swen's opinion on accessibility. And since I found that part interesting, I though you might want to have a look at it. Please bare in mind this is an imperfect translation of Swen's imperfect french. I didn't want to put words in Swen's mouth so I translated quite literally, only smoothing things out when I though it really needed to. So, there you go :

- A game that allowed it lately [Talking about a pacific playthrough], is Age of Decadence.

Ah yes, but there you have an example of an inaccessible game. Well, that's a game with a good heart, with lots of imagination, a lot of stuff in it, but the problem is that it’s not accessible, and you have to spend more than a few dollars to add accessibility to your game. It would be great if Age of Decadence was very accessible. Not in the sense that it should be easier, i’m talking about its graphics and interface. I tried Age of Decadence, with someone from its target audience, and still, graphics are a problem for many people. That's why I made my argument about the financial side. There's a core audience that, if you got a good RPG, you'll have them. But eventually, it’ won't be enough to sustain the number of people you need to build the worlds everyone wants. So the graphics become important, UI becomes important, even with the best will in the world, it's still a great piece of budget you have to put in it. I'm sure that if you add better graphics and UI in Age of Decadence, it's a hit. I'm sure of it.

- I took it as an example because it can be completed from start to finish without a fight, and I don’t find the game unbalanced.

Yeah, I know, and how many years did it take him ? And now imagine you have a team that should do that. It can’t be. That's the problem, you have to face that truth, you can do so if it’s a hobby, that's possible, but if you do it as a team, you have to be able to move forward. And if I'm not mistaken, it all takes place in a city right ?

- Early in the beta, yes, but I think there are five cities in it.

He put in five cities ? Wow. I did not play long, I played it a bit to see what it was, but I recognized what he was doing. It's ambitious. But it's a pity the game’s inaccessible, because it would allow him to have a lot more resources to put into the next game. And that's a shame.

- If I'm not mistaken, they are a team of several people now, and want to make a living out of it.

In this case, it will change their philosophy. I hope for them it'll work, because there’s a lot of good heart in the game. Sure, you see. This is the kind of game to be cherished, and hope they will grow up, but it'll be ... It's important for them to accept that accessibility is important. You can catter to the most hardcore sure, but RPGCodex, it's small huh. Worldwide, you can’t content yourself with this audience. You have to get a bigger audience, otherwise you just can’t ... Because ultimately, to do this job, it starts with having the means to be able to dedicate yourself to it full-time. And it's not just to finance your game now it’s also to finance your next project.

- Is this the risk of being completely focused on A game, what you’re doing now ?

Yes, that's right, you should be able to throw yourself completely in that. Is it going to work enough to support the investment we made, and to support our next game, that's my question. I know, it works now, it has already sold more than most of my games in preorder. So, sure it works. But how well is it going to work ? Because that for us is important. Will it work better than we hope ? Super cool. We will make great strides in RPG everywhere, the money coming in, it will be reinvested. But if it only does OK, we will be limited in what we can do next.

- Is a console version possible ?

It’s never been a secret that I think it would be a good idea to make console port if we have the option. But the UI would have to be different. The interface must be adapted to consoles. And saying that, I see no reason why you could not play it on console. It would be pretty easy. The game being turn-based, you can adapt, have fun. And you can play online, super cool.​

I noticed he used "he" to talk about Iron Tower, I guess he though Vault Dweller is doing the game on is own.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
- An extension is possible or not?

We're going to do, for sure. Come on, that's for sure, when there's enough sales. In fact, I think we have enough sales to warrant an extension. It's the cool thing with the Early Access. Well, you see that everything that was done in the game, it was done for adventures above.

[From the same interview, Google translation]

:dance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom