Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I agree with Mangoose completely. Single character should be action-y RT, party based should be tactical and TB.

That's just how it works best.
I have never played a single-character game with TB combat. Maybe it's cool.
FO1 and 2 were good games for many reasons, but without even making the judgment if its combat was good or bad, I believe party control would only have improved it. Or maybe if party AI was a lot better. In general I think positioning and maneuver adds another (and possibly necessary) dimension to non-twitch combat, and with one character you are very limited in your maneuver choices.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
FO1 and 2 were good games for many reasons, but without even making the judgment if its combat was good or bad, I believe party control would only have improved it.
Restoration project does that and it's actually rather tedious.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Fallout is not purely single-character and roguelikes are not purely turn-based in that classic ap-based sense. More like step-based. As is eschalon.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Fallout is single player because the followers have shit AI. :p I theorize that if the followers had really good AI, and you could give them variety of interesting tactical orders, combat would be quite interesting.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
FO1 and 2 were good games for many reasons, but without even making the judgment if its combat was good or bad, I believe party control would only have improved it.
I'm not familiar with the project, but I'm not saying just shove in party control and the game is better. You do have to design the game around it, from mechanic balance to map and encounter design. I mean, would you call Fallout Tactics tedious?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Fallout is single character with followers.
Alright, because the followers are automated, I'll give you that. But fallout is better than every single-character rt game out there.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not familiar with the project, but I'm not saying just shove in party control and the game is better. You do have to design the game around it, from mechanic balance to map and encounter design. I mean, would you call Fallout Tactics tedious?
Sure, with that I agree. FT is tedious in it's own way.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

TOEE does have counterspell and interrupt mechanics.
Knew you were gonna go for that. Yes, but it doesn't work like I was talking about.

Well, it works like it does in proper D&D rules which are turn based, so it's the more faithful D&D adaptation.
Oh, I understand that. I guess I'm not really criticizing just TOEE here, but D&D 3E as well. edit: I don't play much pen and paper, so 2E might work this way as well. Basically, I just really liked the concept of spellcasting being a little more risky and there being more ways to interrupt a caster.

[plinket]It's different and I don't like things that are different.[/plinket]
Fallout is not purely single-character and roguelikes are not purely turn-based in that classic ap-based sense. More like step-based. As is eschalon.
Age of Decadence?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Age of Decadence?
only played combat beta, and it's not released yet :p

I never made my point clear because I was writing on my phone:
there aren't exactly an abundance of TB single-character games to compare the RT single-characters games to.
therefore it's a little weird to read something like "RT is best for single-char and TB is best for party-based."
could just as well be "TB is best for both types."

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Neo Scavanger

[also Fallout series if you don't recruit any companions]
Also pretty much every roguelike in existence...
Yes, roguelikes are good, but just tell me, would controlling multiple characters be a detriment to a roguelike?
I'd say yes, since managing multiple characters would mean more complex combat, and that would slow the game down. I'm sure you could design a fun roguelike based around a full party, but it would have to be a quite different game from the classical roguelike.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Also, Underrail.
another game not released tho.
but probably another game to prove that "RT is better for single-character games" is a silly statement with little to show that TB single-char would be worse.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I'm sorry, was "In general I think positioning and maneuver adds another (and possibly necessary) dimension to non-twitch combat, and with one character you are very limited in your maneuver choices" not a sufficient argument?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's just that TB games would always be improved by party control (excluding roguelikes, they're a whole other cup of tea).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Single character TB simply does not bring sufficient challenge because the tactical complexity is low. There is some emphasis on positioning, but you don't have more complex maneuver, for example, without at least one other party member you can't distract/suppress/tank the enemy while another unit flanks from the side. The main challenge the player faces is optimization, for example how to do the most damage with a limited AP pool per turn, which is a logistics exercise. By having real time combat (which includes FPSes, TPSes), the moderate emphasis on positioning is still there, and logistics still matter, but you also get additional challenge in aiming, dodging, and timing.

I just find single character TB to be too simple and not challenging enough. Which can be okay in the context of the whole game, as in Roguelikes where we've concluded it may slow things down too much, or FO1 and 2 where you can minimize the number of combat encounters you face. But if you consider just an ideal combat system on its lonesome, single character TB is inferior in complexity to multiple character TB and is inferior in challenge to single character RT. Again I ask, despite FO1 and 2 being great games as they are, would adding multiple character control make it worse or make it better, and why?

jdinatale

Cipher
Do you think Larian hasn't released any numbers because they are waiting for a nice round number like 400k, 500k, 750k, etc.?

Tigranes

Arcane
Also it's bad PR play to release numbers every week, even if we'd be interested. They might as well wait for an 'impressive' number.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom