Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin has sold 160,000 copies, already approaching profitability

DeepOcean

Arcane
Thing is, unlike the previous KS, there is no actual financial reason for them to go that route. And more importantly, backers will know this.
I dunno, kickstarting for many people is more about a cause than some rational thing. Some backers might be upset with them making another kickstarter when they have money but with a really successiful game behind them and having tons of good will generated by the way they handled the kickstarter campaign, most people would give them money anyway. If they get the money they got from DOS and make another game on the divinity series while at same time doing a kickstarter for an original idea, I wouldn't see any harm in that.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
I know I will give them money if they do a new kick starter - if the project seems cool. The premise needs to be something using an improved version (maybe improved moddability of the main game) of the engine/editor, but still open world RPG and turn based. Either a new Divinity game or some other cool IP. If it seems to have the potential to be to DOS what NWN2 was to NWN then I am all in, and I can easily see myself giving them $1000+

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thing is, unlike the previous KS, there is no actual financial reason for them to go that route. And more importantly, backers will know this.
I dunno, kickstarting for many people is more about a cause than some rational thing. Some backers might be upset with them making another kickstarter when they have money but with a really successiful game behind them and having tons of good will generated by the way they handled the kickstarter campaign, most people would give them money anyway. If they get the money they got from DOS and make another game on the divinity series while at same time doing a kickstarter for an original idea, I wouldn't see any harm in that.

There were several kickstarters that said at start that the game will be released no matter the results of crowdfunding but they did it mostly for marketing and to have player input. As tuluse said making another kickstarter should not be only about money but involving players with the project and generating word of mouth. Maybe Swen is afraid that the players via kickstarting will force them to add multiple stretch goals which they will have problems implementing, and having second kickstarter fail to make promised goals might hurt their reputation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"If it seems to have the potential to be to DOS what NWN2 was to NWN then I am all in,"

You mean a shittier, this popular, and less successful version of the original? The only thing NWN2 did better than NWN1 is all the additional skills, spells, and classes. And, oh, MOTb was pretty good too. Otherwise, it was alright, but meh.

"Maybe Swen is afraid that the players via kickstarting will force them to add multiple stretch goals which they will have problems implementing, and having second kickstarter fail to make promised goals might hurt their reputation."

Here's a simple fuckin' solution: Don't offer stretch goals you feel you can't do. DUH!

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I don't know how big their team is but I think there might be some customer hesitation about funding a game you know could be made without your investment. On the other hand, what reason do I have to not preorder a game at a discounted price from a developer that has just delivered a quality product if it helps make an bigger/better game. Ultimately I think going back to kickstarter is a good idea, but if their studio is capable of handling it i wonder if they should attempt to do what was speculated with Obsidian; PoE hopefully continues under its own profits while another IP can be kickstarted.

Even though inXile has so far shown to be less competent than Larian and Obsidian, having 3 studios moving forward with 2 isometric old school RPG IPs would be fantastic after more than a decade of decline.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
From a business stand point doing KS again is no brainer idea; they get great exposure, a ready made comunity for bug testing, balancing and feedback, and simply best of all they get to do it with a concept which people have already paid for...
As my accountant says "it's is better to play with your client's money than your own"
If somebody perceives them as beign greedy because the game is selling so well and they could do it themselves because they have money, sorry guys this is how capitalism works.
I didn't back their project because I missed it and to be honest I had the image of the Divinity games beign Diablo like and I loathe those. But for sure I would back their game and right now I am kicking myself for not getting a boxed version of the game before since Sven IS saying that making boxes and all its a pain in the ass

jdinatale

Cipher
Why don't you neckbeards complaining just think of it as pre-ordering the game for $25 instead of $40 at release? It's not that fucking hard.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That's righgt. I'll self brainwash mysefl to think like the other fanboys. LMAO

Yet, I bet youa re one of the yahoos who bash KS pledgers when they criticize KS develoeprs who don't deliver on promises. I bet you defended Larian when theyd ecided to NOT do the mega dungeon after promising it to KS backers in order to get their money. Know what I call that.? Conning. ie. Thievery.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Who's complaining*? Just pondering how well it will be received and whether it's worthwhile for them in the Pareto Principle sense. I want them to do what's best for them and who knows, maybe they're reading this discussion and taking notes; I'm pleasantly surprised myself at the reactions here, which leads me to rethink my position on that.

*other than the usual suspects...

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Depends on how much profit Larian is going to make the next months - if the dollars are raining it would be a good thing to give some love back and make a free addin (for kickstarter backers). If things are not so rosy for Larian I will certainly pay again for a good addin.
Some people (not me) complain at not fulfilled stretch goals -> Day/Night cycle, Mega dungeon.
It could actually make good business sense to make a expansion focusing on day/nigh cycle, more companions and a single new dense map for level 21-30 stuff, and that this expansion is free for backers (and full price anywhere else).

A Expansion for 9.99 for normal users and 4.99 for Kickstarter backers (at Larian Vault) would be neat and enough. The day/night cycle only in that specific area / mod would be enough, and with a megadungeon for 21-30 levels as you have posted Arkeus should satisify the promise,
and silence any complaints. This would also keep the team busy while the next game would be prepared for the next kickstarter.

I think I'd rather have an Ultima Underworld/Arx Fatalis style expansion (preferably stand alone for the sake of their sales, calling it Divinity Underworld or some such) and pay a bit more, than an expansion with a megadungeon.

In fact I like the idea so much I should ask ForkTong what he thinks.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Who's complaining*? Just pondering how well it will be received and whether it's worthwhile for them in the Pareto Principle sense. I want them to do what's best for them and who knows, maybe they're reading this discussion and taking notes; I'm pleasantly surprised myself at the reactions here, which leads me to rethink my position on that.

*other than the usual suspects...

We had a fairly long discussion over at the Watch about the missed stretch goals:

D:OS has soured me on Kickstarter stretch goals

Achtung: Some more Roguey and Volourn clones in this thread... :)

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
From a business stand point doing KS again is no brainer idea; they get great exposure, a ready made comunity for bug testing, balancing and feedback, and simply best of all they get to do it with a concept which people have already paid for...
As my accountant says "it's is better to play with your client's money than your own"

Your accountant says that to you? Feels bad man

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well I received something from Larian today... but it wasn't my boxed copy!! :argh:It was just the poster, the least interesting physical item I was looking forward to!!!! How long are they taking on vacation because I emailed them directly over a week ago to their Larian email and Kickstarter email but haven't heard a thing. Not that I feel like an entitled :patriot:after spending A LOT OF MONEY (both here and on KS) but... man the wait is killing me!! ForkTong?!!!!!! Stop bathing in and lighting cigars with all those $100 greenbacks or Euros and help a fellow out, huh?

Game is GREAT by the way and this will in no way deter me from throwing more money at them in the future :bro:

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, here in hue-hue I haven't received any if the physical items, but that's to be expected... I'm more afraid there's no one home to receive the package in the moment it arrives...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
What the accountant means is that of some client wants to speculate or go into a questionable venture I can back them up...or not if they are willing to pay beforehand. I'm this case Larian makes a pitch for a game and hopes there is enough interest for the product to be profitable, but if the people interested are willing to pay forward for it almost 2 years before release they better yet, this ensures the profitability of the venture because it is almost paid in full for its development costs.
The difference between this, a publisher who funds the project and self publishing with their own funds is that Kickstarter allows proper companies like InXile to not only make a profit but actualy grow and have the possibility of developing projects simultaneously
In the end, this will be formula for the small and middle developers, and even big punlishers like Ubi are developing their AAA titles along with smaller indie like experimental niche games like Might and Magic X and Child of Light

Angthoron

Arcane
Well I received something from Larian today... but it wasn't my boxed copy!! :argh:It was just the poster, the least interesting physical item I was looking forward to!!!! How long are they taking on vacation because I emailed them directly over a week ago to their Larian email and Kickstarter email but haven't heard a thing. Not that I feel like an entitled :patriot:after spending A LOT OF MONEY (both here and on KS) but... man the wait is killing me!! ForkTong?!!!!!! Stop bathing in and lighting cigars with all those $100 greenbacks or Euros and help a fellow out, huh?

Game is GREAT by the way and this will in no way deter me from throwing more money at them in the future :bro:
AFAIK Larian is on vacation until 8th of August, so if they haven't shipped the CE to you yet, then this is when they'll be able to send it out next.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

If they want early feedback, they can do a regular public beta / founders program / steam EA.
I teleported your imp into lava as a Count of Monte Cristo-style revenge for diminishing my honour by ignoring me

how does that make you feel

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Has Lesi played it yet?
One of her friends has, but if she did, she pirated it. She'd probably consider it banal and boring since her primary motivation in playing RPGs is the writing.

Angthoron

Arcane
Cloth map is a low-resolution joke with unreadable font.
Yeah, the cloth map is rather low-res, this is true. However, no shit about the font, it's not Latin-based.

Speaking of physical stuff, received my art book yesterday. It's pretty nice, though on the small-ish side. Overall, it's just about what I'd expect from a publisher-less Collector's Edition. If someone expected more, then honestly, tough shit. I was primarily pledging for a game I'd enjoy playing, the CE is just a bunch of things to remember the KS and the Codex Fundraiser by and the most valuable part is probably the signatures on the box because that's actually pretty cool.

But yeah, I guess I can see collectorfags disappointed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom