Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There seems to be a /ton/ of stuff to do, and I don't feel like I'm led by the nose to do it.

YEAH, it's awesome right?

enjoy it while it lasts :negative:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW when you go with lone wolf, you'd lose one skill point for every level above 5. And the lack of fourth party member would increase difficulty by one level up. Larian should work both on later part of game, and allowing multiple solutions to problems. Divine Divinity had similar problem. Last third was mindless combat, even worse than in Divinity OS.

SniperHF

Arcane
the voice acting is ... not great, and the writing is a tad clichéd and wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

On both of these fronts the pre-EE version was better. I think a lot of the script changes they did to make the story less bread crumb like put the story more in your face and thus more of a glaring flaw. Before you could pretty well ignore the plot till just the end of Cyseal. Now you get huge explainers from a few NPCs when they didn't exist before. Sure in classic you often had a "why am I doing any of this" feel but it was better on balance.

Jezal_k23

My friend bought the game. We want to start playing soon. Should we go for tactician mode? I want to, but I'm afraid of scaring him away.

Prime Junta

Moar impresshuns. Been exploring Cyseal and the surroundings. I dig that there's a lot of hidden-away stuff there, even quite big stuff -- accidentally discovered a big underground dungeon that had some rather nasty traps and pretty nice loot, and ended up above-ground in the city. The combat is pretty good, the encounters so far have been varied, and it's satisfying to use those elemental magic combinations for things.

I don't like the cooldowns though, even though in all fairness they're long enough that most abilities are effectively per-encounter. And I don't like the procedurally generated loot, it's very DA:I-ey, and not in a good way.

Also I'm failing to see the point of a rogue. Anyone can take Shady skills, and from what I can tell, a rogue is just a squishy sub-par fighter. Maybe I'm missing something, but after a bit of experimentation I've settled on a party with two knights, an elementalist, and a ranger, and it's working out pretty nicely so far. But we'll see, it's early days yet.

Prime Junta

Thanks lukaszek, that's very useful. I have done backstabbing (with dual daggers) but at least early on it's just not as effective as whapping someone with a two-hander, especially after you factor in the AP cost of getting into position, and if it fails to take down the target in one (as it often does), I'm often left flanked and will be clobbered in the next round.

Buuut... I didn't get that bit about mobility. So the tactic is to lunge in, stab, and get out, preferably behind elemental cover, all in one round, rather than lunge in and stab until out of AP? Gotta try that.

Prime Junta

I restarted and experimented a bit with Rogue 101 tactics. You're right, they do work well at murdering squishies. Another mistake I had made was to conserve AP and just attempt to backstab whichever target I could reach first; the key is clearly to get yourself in the back by whatever means available, and then stab away. Thanks!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Rogues are pretty one-dimensional so they tend to get boring fast I find. Remember that right now you're at the best spot the game has too offer: non-linearity, diversity, varied content, shittons of hidden challenges, loot, etc.

Before too long you will be on a straight and narrow path with dwindling openness and reduced encounter variety. At that point the strength of your party and the combat is all that's left to carry you during the home stretch.

Overall though, Divinity: OS is a really solid game. If they can tackle the problems of the character system and make it more diverse and grant more build options, #2 could be excellent.

Prime Junta

^
Aren't you the regular little ray of sunshine. Fine, I'll enjoy it while it lasts then.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I restarted and experimented a bit with Rogue 101 tactics. You're right, they do work well at murdering squishies. Another mistake I had made was to conserve AP and just attempt to backstab whichever target I could reach first; the key is clearly to get yourself in the back by whatever means available, and then stab away. Thanks!
Shadowblade uses thunder jump which works well, the trouble is to get out. Daggers drawn is also interesting skill, or trip. Just saying.

Also power outage deprived me of ring which gave 2 for speed. And a random goblin activated Meredino chest, thus I'd have to beat up the last boss in a hard way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Before too long you will be on a straight and narrow path with dwindling openness

I never noticed any openness because of the significant effect level has when it comes to combat.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Before too long you will be on a straight and narrow path with dwindling openness

I never noticed any openness because of the significant effect level has when it comes to combat.

This.

The level of openness early game is about as deep as "go 3/4 of the way through these higher level quests to get EXP because it's all just dialogue anyways until the last part of the quest which is a trek through high level zones".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you play your cards right, you can fight enemies up to 4 levels above you.

The problem with this approach is that it would make going back to clear lower level areas a bore. And yes, you have to clear them.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

Sure, maybe on your 2nd/3rd/4th playthrough when you actually know what you're doing, but I guarantee you most people do things in relatively the same order on their first playthrough.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Sure, maybe on your 2nd/3rd/4th playthrough when you actually know what you're doing, but I guarantee you most people do things in relatively the same order on their first playthrough.
I did the spiders in the desert or whatever and they were 3-4 levels above me. Can't say that I know what I was doing. Adapt to the situation was my method.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

I did the spiders in the desert or whatever and they were 3-4 levels above me. Can't say that I know what I was doing. Adapt to the situation was my method.

True. I did that too. But at that point I had warmed up to the combat and had a lot of cheap tools available to me in the form of teleport-shenanigans and elemental arrow abuse. I guess I was more referring to early game than late game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Finally finished it. The last fight was difficulty level asian. Both Zandalor and Icara repeatedly attempted suicide by charging last boss before healing, and preventing me from casting 4x deadly spores and 3x meteor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom