Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I only play single plaeyr

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
List the changes to me and I'll say which is better. I completed the original and I got half way through EE before getting bored, but that wasn't necessarily because it was different, more just that I had done it all once and lost interest.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thanks. I can't even decide :/ Personally I didn't even notice any of those changes! I completed the original game then played the EE about 1 or 2 years later but got bored half way through because it was all so familiar. I thought it was just the same but with voice overs and maybe some engine tweaks. You would probably need to find a hardcore fan who has played it multiple times in the original, and then in EE.

I enjoyed it the first time I completed it. The second time I played I got bored about half way and it was mostly because I had done it all before and not waited long enough before a re-play. But I also felt like the combat was a bit shallow, which didn't bother me the first time. I don't think that was an original vs EE thing, I think it is just that the first time I played I was more impressed by the interactions between the elements. But then the second time I played I already knew about those so there was nothing to learn and it all felt quite boring and basic. You squirt poison or oil on enemies which damages or slows them. Then you use fire and it blows up. Or you use ice/water on stuff to slow/debuff/injure them, and then you use lightning which electrocutes the water. It isn't much to write home about and sadly the entire game is based on that. I think it is well worth a play through though, just maybe not multiple runs unless you use different classes. I am really looking forward to DOS2 because I am thinking they will add more to the combat. I already know it has more importance on height which is something, but hopefully more spells and it will be great.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
While it may seem that the combat is very basic once you get used to the environmental interactions (and they are quasi-gimmicks anyway) it can offer a lot of depth if the game was difficult enough and character building wasn't so simple... and the loot system wasn't so utterly, incomprehensibly bad. I hope they've learned a thing or two for D:OS2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I know they won't, I personally asked them about it in their AMA. If they can make exploration not feel pointless despite that abysmal loot system, great.

Chunkyman

Augur
Although the cheese vendor screaming at you is annoying, it's comically annoying and it would feel wrong to do another playthrough without hearing it. It's like when people get so used to their spouses snoring that eventually they have trouble sleeping WITHOUT hearing it.

damager

Arbiter
How can you fully voice over this game and at the same time leave in this ugly as shit portraits?

Also their solution to "there is too much fire and shit on the battlefield to make melee viable" is to let melees sling even more shit on the battlefield and remove a viable high risk high reward stealth tactic from rogues and make them into bad mages that use consumables instead of cool downs

Who ever made this EE can not into game design at all apparently.

Last edited:

Waterd

Augur
I've tried really hard to like it because I love the combat engine. But I couldn't the game is completly broken.

-Fleeing is overpowered. Do a lot of damage, Flee, repeat.
-Sneak is op, combine it with fleeing, sneek, do damage, flee. You can wipe the entire game no problem.
-You can do similar tricks to fleeing with the stones.
-Charm is op. Just charm everything.
-Out of combat buffs are possible if you are really fast, and brutal if you properly scout the dangers ahead. Making the whole game even more easy, but more of a chore.

-The item micromanagment is insane, the amount of stuff there is to micromanage is just insane you can spend half a playtrhough i guess just looting , micro your items and crafting. Except is not a game , is just a chore.
And the worst part is that crafting is op, you can create the most op items with it (charm arrows, granades)

-Stealing is super easy, and worse part you are forced to steal, you are story wise to be a law abiding citizens, but the only way to progress trough the game is to break the law. Which is highly annoying what kidn of RPG is this?

-Traps are the worst part of the game, they force you to have a scout that SLOWLY advance, and SLOWLY pay attention to the environment making advancing through the game a chore.

-Some traps are even unavoidable without previous knowledge of teh game, making ironman runs impossible without a walkthrough. I don't know what's fun of "oh you want to do this? ok, you are dead, game over"

-Even in combat, the lack of a prper tile system makes it very ambigous in a lot of sitautions what the AOE is gonna affect, specially when you have to connect water and blood pools to predict if electricity will stun X character or not, making it very frustrating, since that is the difference between winning or losing a battle.

-Healing is a chore, why characters do not autoheal at end of combat and you have to be clicking the healing spells and wait for cooldown? makes no sense.

I don't mind that much the op stuff since i can always ban it (no flee, no hiding, no charm, no precombat buffing, no precombat attacks, No granades) etc, though is bad when you have to just cut a lot of the features.
But the micromanagment of trap scouting and item micromanagment is intolerable imo and makes the game unplayable to me.

Though on op stuff, I read there is even a lot more op stuff that i didn't find out, (mostly because I didn't need too, I could already clear house with my found tactics).

Waterd

Augur
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not. But in case you aren't, it makes no sense to add a feature that needs to be "careful" used to not make the game too easy. Why is there? Games that intend the players to become game designer, show lazy game designers.

Waterd

Augur
Btw, if htere is a mod that removes all traps and Somehow solves the micromanagment of items/scouting problem, I would be interested in trying again.

Waterd

Augur
Reloading is not a game rule, is a software rule, where you can save the gamestate. So the comparision is bad.
Saving and reloading is indeed comparable to hacking the code or just exploiting a bug or software flaw.
Is similar to use the pause button in an RTS and tetris-like game or a fighting game to think about your next move.
the purpose of the function of the software, is to be a quality of life improvement.
Saving and loading allows to you stop playing the game at X point in time, so you can continue playing tomorrow or next week, a neccesary feature for a quality of life improvement that allow humans to enjoy games over long periods of times.

The fact that saving and loading can be exploited to circumvent the game rules, is a side point, because it's clear deliberate action if you do it so and is clear is not a GAME RULE.

That is like saying "modding the game is op".
You can't compare software features to game rules features. IS not part of the game rules to "save reload", it would be like saying that Chessmaster game, save and reload is part of the rules, no it's not, Chessmaster uses the rules of chess and has a saving and loading feature to ease the life users, taking advantage of the electronic aspect of it.

Sure there is people that will hack, mod, or save reload to break the rules of the game, but that is a side point.
Fleeing is PART of the rules of the game.

Waterd

Augur
But if I would agree with you and Save and reload is PART of the game rules, then yes, I would agree with you that it would make the game broken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom