Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Deleted Member 16721

I doubled down on Marksman with my rogue character. Why? I really don't think all characters need magic skills, especially the rogue since arrows are going to be incredibly useful and most of the rogue's turns will be spent firing them. I had a single magic character (a Witch, I think) who focused on Witchcraft and Hydrosophist. It worked really well since other characters can use scrolls when needed. Grenades are great, too.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Game was way too easy, but also too simple. Too much derp from fire on oil etc. It needed a bit more depth. I liked the combat but it just needed more. I am hoping DOS2 will do that.
dos ee is hurt by grenades existence and that most encounters start with enemies grouped together.
When asked about it sven said that in dos2 enemies will be positioned better and using environment(higher ground). It sounds to me like aoe (+dot) attacks will no longer be that potent

Grenades are only really OP in the early game.

Once you reach the forest they start to taper off.

Marksmen is the god skill. Arrows are amazing at most stages of the game. Fire/Explosive/Knockdown will hold you over for the early parts with zombies. Around level 6-7 or so when your bow is stronger, bow skills start to do massive damage. Once you get Rain of Arrows the game is basically over.

Magic is next in the god level. Specifically, Hail Attack from Hydrosophist. I've also heard good things about Meteor Shower and Deadly Spores + fire field. Witchcraft has Rapture (charm is amazing). Aerotheurge is sorta the weakest of the bunch, but with the Rain spell many air magic spells become amazing either in improved success rate or things like electrifying pools of water

Madora is easily one of the better companions. She gets the Comeback kid talent for free and is specced as Two-handed warrior. Offensive stance + Rage + Oath Of Desecration = one-shot kills. Same combo works for Marksmen but Madora is Queen of sustained single-target damage.

Scoundrel is only good for one point. Rogues are shit for combat, use them only for stealing and opening chests.

Bairdotr is stupid and annoying plus her stats are somewhat messed up. She has a point in Tenebrium, use her as your crafting mule.

DragoFireheart

Madora is easily one of the better companions. She gets the Comeback kid talent for free and is specced as Two-handed warrior. Offensive stance + Rage + Oath Of Desecration = one-shot kills. Same combo works for Marksmen but Madora is Queen of sustained single-target damage.
warrior without a shield is a waste

Scoundrel is only good for one point. Rogues are shit for combat, use them only for stealing and opening chests.
whats so shitty about them? Having only 1 point in scoundrel might be a hint...

Warriors WITH a shield are a waste. wtf are you talking about?

Rogues skills beyond Novice are ass. That's why they suck.

Hyperion

Arcane
In this game, a good offense is the best defense. And the only defense you really ever need is HP. Potions cover the resists your Man-At-Arms skill + gear hasn't already capped. Sword and Board Man-At-Arms is absolute trash, when you can just slap a 2-hander on, basically triple your damage and lose nothing of significance.

Haste is the ONLY good skill for Scoundrel in EE. In Vanilla, 1 point also got you the teleport skill, but they made it a Master level skill for whatever reason. They didn't do enough to bring Scoundrel up to par, what with the availability of magic arrows.

DragoFireheart

In this game, a good offense is the best defense. And the only defense you really ever need is HP. Potions cover the resists your Man-At-Arms skill + gear hasn't already capped. Sword and Board Man-At-Arms is absolute trash, when you can just slap a 2-hander on, basically triple your damage and lose nothing of significance.

Haste is the ONLY good skill for Scoundrel in EE. In Vanilla, 1 point also got you the teleport skill, but they made it a Master level skill for whatever reason. They didn't do enough to bring Scoundrel up to par, what with the availability of magic arrows.

Scoundrel 1 also gets invisibility, winged feet (VERY useful for puzzles), and Adrenaline.

Adrenaline is amazing for mages to get off a turn-1 Hail Attack / Meteor Shower.

Zeriel

Arcane
warrior without a shield is a waste

I was going to say "You don't know what you don't know", but I'll instead be polite and say I played through EE on release on the Iron-Man hardest difficulty and had no problems with melee without shields. In fact, they were dual wielding, and were definitely the best damage dealers. You just don't need more survivability in D:OS. Spells + proper crafting provide effective invulnerability throughout the game, shield is just halving your damage for no particular reason.

Casters are for aoe cleanup and buffing.

vmar

Savant
Shields are pretty useless. My 1st playthrough was with a paladin type character with a shield, I didn't realize how useless shields were until I did a 2nd game on tactician with a dual wield character. The damage mitigation is hardly worth it, especially when you can kill stuff a lot faster as dual wield/2h. There are plenty of defensive spells and CC to protect yourself. The only huge difference I noticed was tanking the Void Dragon at the end, he hit harder with no shield but it didn't even matter because I killed him so much quicker.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hate melees so I went with a party of 3 mages and 1 tank. Every fight was luls. Scorched earth.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Yes, since AoE elemental spells are so common in DOS, the long reach of 2 hands weapons is mandatory.

Sjukob

Arcane
Shields are not bad to be honest . My one handed + shield warrior in the end game had something like 60-70% block chance and he really did block often . But since mages can perma shield the whole party , you don't really need it .

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had a sword and board character and he soaked up all elements and could barely be scratched. I did have a character with a 2H sword and that was also great for dealing lots of damage.

gaussgunner

Arcane
'm in the woods north of Cyseal, almost winning battles with a level 3 party on Tactician mode. Madora and another 2H fighter, Jahan the mage, and an archer. Not bad.

Thanks guys, you've inspired me to waste more time on this shit game. Could be worse though; at least the levels don't take an Eternity to load.

DragoFireheart

Ok, different topic.

lukaszek since you're a melee fag you have to respond.

I have heard that Man-At-Arms/Scoundrel hybrids (Str/Dex) are quite good. Specifically, dagger in the man hand, axe in the off-hand (or your strongest 1-handed sword/axe/club) dual-wield.

- Lacerate and Precise Incision deal massive damage due to the axe getting the high modifier. They also never miss.

- Tormented Souls help close the gap in needed str/dex.

- Since you're invested in both MAA and Sco. skils, you can pickup the needed Grenade talents.

- Backstabs with the Axe deal heavy damage.

- Knockdown + Bully + Backstabs = lol damage

- Daggers Drawn ends up being an Adapt version of Flurry fro MAA.

- Hybrids items that have both Dex/Str are easy enough to find.

- Can wear any armor.

Down I have heard is stat requirements are difficult early game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Just the -combat alone means it is a good game. I think the rest sucks but RPGs are about fighting shit, if the fighting is good, the game is good, if the fighting is bad, the game can get fucked and so can story fags.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom