Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

KevinV12000

Arcane
Does anyone know why the voice acting was completely re-done for the Enhanced Edition? The voice actors for the original version were vastly superior, and I can't figure out why they would have taken on the expense and time of doing it all over again. Even at the very beginning, if you compare the original's Ishmashell to the EE's version, it's night and day. One was read by an actor with some idea of character, the other by someone speed-reading to get the assignment done.

I'm still pissed that they replaced the cheese vendor :argh:

Whatthe fuck? tHEy replaced the shellbro too? Unforgivable

I know! The cheese vendor was friggin' awesome. He's still good in the new version, though not EPIC CHEESE MAN like before.

SniperHF

Arcane
Does anyone know why the voice acting was completely re-done for the Enhanced Edition? The voice actors for the original version were vastly superior, and I can't figure out why they would have taken on the expense and time of doing it all over again. Even at the very beginning, if you compare the original's Ishmashell to the EE's version, it's night and day. One was read by an actor with some idea of character, the other by someone speed-reading to get the assignment done.

The original version had few lines voiced but done by very high quality and expensive voice actors. Doing the whole game with that VA company would have been too expensive.

Also see:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-enhanced-edition.92612/page-375#post-4558990

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Just reached level 10 and I think I did most of the Cyseal content. Went to fight Braccus and he killed the whole party with a meteor swarm even before I got one action, lol. But I have some ideas for next attempt.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
CgwQZgM.jpg

vmar

Savant
Decided to try this game again, for whatever reason it didn't really click for me at first. Spent most of the last 5-6 days playing and barely sleeping, I think I'm in love.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Decided to try this game again, for whatever reason it didn't really click for me at first. Spent most of the last 5-6 days playing and barely sleeping, I think I'm in love.

I also made a failed attempt of a couple hours past year, the game has a *very* serious pacing problem in the beginning. You have a total of what, 3 fights, then hours of talking to dozens of people and running around, making equipment and levelup choices that you can't make sense of. Too talky. And it's not badly done, mind you, the quests in Cyseal are good, dialogues are good, but they're too much packed together in the early hours, while between levels 5-9 I've been only fighting and then returning to a ghost town where I had already talked to everyone and done everything.

Compare it to Baldur's Gate pacing, that game had it absolutely nailed. By the time you reach the big town with lots of dialogues and quests (and rewards), you were exactly looking forward to that, after having struggled the early levels through dungeons and wilderness.

In Larian's defense,

I missed the graveyard tunnel which packs a few low-level fights, breezed through them later on.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The hours of talking is why I get bored in Cyseal now, coupled with the fact that the dialogues just aren't good. It's far too removed from danger way too early in the game, so the pacing is indeed wonky.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I started a Tactician replay and I'm still trying to get past the Cyseal hump even though I know all the bullshit. Cleared all the secret tunnels, now doing dumb shit like Headless Nick and the Philosophy of Death quiz for XP until I'm level 4-5 and I can venture out without getting instakilled by zombies. STILL finding things I missed the first time though.

Doing one thing right this time, I haven't accused anyone of Jake's murder or murdered anyone myself. Just being nice to everyone and robbing them blind :lol:

retamar

Educated
Just started the enhanced edition, 5 hours in it.
Played a dozen of hours at release, co op with a friend of mine, it was a mess, and we didn't get really far.
Have not seen any dramatic changes from the original game, but as I stated i barely played on release.
Game is fun, combat is quite good, dialogues and plot are....hummmm, whimsical? so far so good, I am liking it.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Due to heavy work I haven't played as much as I would like it, but I advanced in my first run (Tactician Mode) to around level 13 and after exploring completely cyseal and doing all quests and secrets there (or so I think), I did some stuff in Silverglen.

Some thoughts. Combat begins feeling a bit easier once you have 2-3 party members that can reliably use crowd control almost every turn. Charm, Freezing and Stun, plus a few others, will finally make you feel in control of the fights. I hope it gets harder soon, because the challege has been so far the biggest "pro" I've found in the game.

It is great that you can talk out of fights in certain situations; but when you do, you get no reward for it. It makes me pick fights on purpose, so I don't miss the XP and loot.

The dialogues and quests in silverglen are... okay I guess. But after all the sidequesting in cyseal most of it feels redundant.

All of this put within a context of me still loving the game. But this is the codex so I feel compelled to talk about the bad things only.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah. It even gets grindy because you are just mowing down the enemies without thought and they themselves are placed without much thought.

vmar

Savant
I've done 2 full playthroughs, one on classic and one tactician, and yea tactician isn't nearly as hard as I was hoping it would be. I honestly had an easier time with it due to meta game knowledge/better built parties than I did in my first run on classic. The only time I felt like I was in real danger was the first couple fights, after that it was pretty much a steamroll. Hell I was killing the level 8 enemies by the church in Cyseal at level 4 just to try to challenge myself. Tactician is more fun than classic but I'd like it if there were something harder than that, not counting honor mode because playing ironman in an rpg this long doesn't appeal to me.

Despite all that I can't stop playing the fucking game, the combat is just a blast. Easily one of my favorite rpgs from the last decade. Working on a 2x lone wolf run right now which has been a little more challenging, although still not as hard as I was expecting.

Efe

Erudite
how was that fight before twins by fire? they just summon some shit and it teleports one of yours into lava. already 2-man party so had to cheese that one :( but i'm not sure if it counts as challenge..

vmar

Savant
Wasn't too bad from what I remember. Seeing those teleporting enemies that early was a surprise but he just ported one of my guys far away rather than into lava so I didn't suffer an insta-kill.

retamar

Educated
Well, a few more hours in, I am still in Cyseal, having a blast. I feel like I am constantly underleveled, that fucking machine in the caves up north, is a really really tough fight. I tend to be underleveled on games because I do not play many sidequest, tend to hate the FedEx missions.
Yeah. It even gets grindy because you are just mowing down the enemies without thought and they themselves are placed without much thought.
Well, I hope it gets a tad easier because a this moment I am really struggling on every fight.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Well, a few more hours in, I am still in Cyseal, having a blast. I feel like I am constantly underleveled, that fucking machine in the caves up north, is a really really tough fight. I tend to be underleveled on games because I do not play many sidequest, tend to hate the FedEx missions.
Well, I hope it gets a tad easier because a this moment I am really struggling on every fight.

do you have the remote to disable the robot's cannon?

retamar

Educated

do you have the remote to disable the robot's cannon?
Yeah I got it, but at my current level I have not enough HP to resist the combat, I am little bit stuck right now, Can't win any fight on the beach ( I sneaked trough the cave and got the portal) trying to find some shit to do at Syceal, in order to get some extra XP.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You should be going towards the lighthouse, not the beach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom