Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
well, i disagreed on the issue of the jumping idiot and nothing happened, so i was hoping they cut it out.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There's disagreeing for stats and then there's disagreeing on a course of action. Try it with the pearl oyster

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Dialogue mini-game? I don't think that add's anything interesting to the game beyond another unnecessary layer of complexity.

RPG developers would do well to be reminded that more gameplay system does not equal a better game. In the case of Original Sin i would prefer they focus on "tidying" their actual dialogue script instead of spending time with this.

P.S I just remembered it was April 1st recently, is this a joke or real? with my new SSD i havent the space to install all my steam games yet (ESO is taking up most of it) and havent re-downloaded OS yet.

hiver

ForkTong

Excellent trailer. Superb music. Love it and the rhythm it all achieves.

- not enough emphasis on co-op. Barely mentioned.
Sure, its a short trailer and other specifics needed to be put forward more, for this minute or a bit more.

But, you really need to make another trailer that emphasizes what kind of co-op you made. Really. maybe not for beta... but REALLY.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Haven't kept up with the development of this game, but if this minigame is for real it's pretty disappointing. Yet another attempt to get the players more involved which will only result in a boring and annoying activity you have to go through to get back to actually playing the game. Like all minigames are.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The mini-game is clearly intended at co-op games. It honestly might be more fun than simply picking a choice each and letting the stats decide it... I'll try with my brother this weekend to see.

But, you really need to make another trailer that emphasizes what kind of co-op you made. Really. maybe not for beta... but REALLY.
Or maybe not, since a lot of people seem to think that the game is co-op only...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Identification also seems to be broken. I have a spear that says it requires level 1 loremaster and an identifying glass. I use the identifying glass on the spear, get the "<Charname> is attempting to identify [Unidentified spear]" line in the combat log and a progress bar. But the spear is never identified.

Stabbey

Learned
The DISCUSS system is silly. Haven't watched the trailer but I tried it out in the beta. After you disagree and choose your type of argument (intimidate, charm, reason) you get some sort of power level based on argument type for the situation + your stats. Then you play rock-paper-scissors. Every time you win, you get your power level thingie in points. First person to 10 points wins. (So power level 2 = 5 successes, 3 = 4, 4 = 3, 5 = 2). If you're playing single player, it auto-rolls. In multiplayer you get to pick rock/paper/scissors yourself.

I can just imagine the two source hunters in front of the guard... "The peasant is lying!" "No, he's telling the truth!" "Can you excuse us for a moment" *plays 5 rounds of rock paper scissors, then turns to the guard* "Yeah... He's definitely telling the truth."

That might be nice in co-op, but right now I'm not really feeling the rock-paper-scissors system is an improvement in single-player. You can't seem to "choose your weapon", the game plays itself - not that I can see what being able to pick what you want to use in single-player would do against an AI because it's rock-paper-scissors.

Identification also seems to be broken. I have a spear that says it requires level 1 loremaster and an identifying glass. I use the identifying glass on the spear, get the "<Charname> is attempting to identify [Unidentified spear]" line in the combat log and a progress bar. But the spear is never identified.

It's not broken for everyone, I was able to identify a thing successfully.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I've tried to identify 4 things so far. I get the progress bar but no success/failure message and the thing is not identified. Merchants cna identify it just fine though

Gord

Arcane
Just played the beta a few minutes today.
Nice improvements over the alpha, tutorial dungeon looks cool.
Will try to play some coop with a friend this weekend, if we find some time.

hiver

Or maybe not, since a lot of people seem to think that the game is co-op only...
Why the hell not? It is one of the main features and a very unique one. Its not just an afterthought.

And i didnt mean or say they should market it as co-op only. Both types of gameplay are big features and both should be represented.

garren

Arcane
Patron
A few things I feel like mentioning that still aren't fixed since the game went to beta.

This part of the UI:
DHlGuWL.jpg

Can't the abilities, talents and traits have their own window? You have 4 tabs in such a tiny area, I'd like to see a bigger screen of all that stuff. Keep the equipment screen where it is.

Also, I noticed you can't read books that lie on a table somewhere without stealing them. Is there any way to read them without stealing?

Also, the fluctuating dialogue responses are annoying, depending how long the text is when you talk to someone. Funnily enough this never bothered me in Baldur's Gate, so dunno lol. Example:

RfcwiqE.jpg

C4t1JxS.jpg

Dunno why, but it feels kinda frustrating that the numbered responses jump up and down constantly without being set in place.

Fallout had its own boxes for dialogue and responses. To compare:
badword.jpg

And for fairness, here's baldur's gate:
10550-baldur-s-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn-windows-screenshot-the-message.jpg

Maybe it's because the window in BG seems to have more space for text overall, so it isn't so jarring.

Arkeus

Arcane
It's beta time!

This is going to be a very short Kickstarter update because we want you all to try the beta and not spend time reading or watching movies ;)

The beta is live!
First of all: as promised the beta is now Steam Early Access. Grab your keys from the Larian Vault, and go try it out. The game isn’t finished yet; we still have a lot of balancing, bugfixing and tweaking on our plate, but it’s a big step up from the alpha and there’s plenty of new stuff for you to discover.

As per usual, we’re eager to hear your feedback and our excel sheets are at the ready to tweak and balance the millions of stats that define your RPG experience behind the scenes.

If you’re curious what’s in the beta and don’t have the time to discover them all on your own, there are over 400 improvements and a host of new features:

• 28 exciting new talents, including fun things like the Lone Wolf perk, which gives an avatar super abilities, but makes it impossible for him or her to hire a companion(s)
  • More than 60 new skills, allowing for a new brand of synergies, such as combining Invisibility with Pickpocketing
  • A new Witchcraft skilltree that can be combined with other skills to deadly effect • New areas to explore, new foes to fight, new items to find & new secrets to discover
  • A brand new character creation screen with new presets such as Shadowblade and Wayfarer, and an enormous amount of customisation options.
  • More environmental interactions – you can smash or burn doors, pickpocket characters & use staffs to electrify pools of water. Or how about burning wooden chests to get the loot inside?
  • Improved AI, user interface, graphics, loading times, performance and stability mean playing Divinity: Original Sin has never been this smooth
  • A truckload of new sound effects & music tracks
If you want to see the full report, go and have a look at the changelist.

Share the new trailer!
Thomas, our resident video guru, managed to capture plenty of gameplay in a mere minute and a half of video. We think it will touch the soul of lots of RPG lovers out there.

Now we need to spread it, and that’s something you can help us with. We’re sure there’s plenty of people out there who want to play Divinity: Original Sin but who don’t know about the game yet. Let them know!

Can’t play the beta but want to see what’s new and the trailer is too short?

Then you may want to check out the Twitch session David & Swen did. They spent a few hours answering questions and showing off features in the beta last Monday.

A transcript of the answers they gave is available here. (Thanks for that, Stabbey!)

What’s coming?
Now that we’re in beta, you may be wondering what’s coming. In this video message Swen explains what type of development work we’ll still be doing between now and release (a lot!)

Shout out!
Dragon Fin Soup is already funded but has a sheep pet quest as a stretch goal. Honestly, we can’t understand how they didn’t blast through that goal already! Weresheep unite!

bonescraper

I'd love a ToEE selection wheel. Kinda sucks i have to use keyboard shortcuts for stuff like sneaking, breaking stuff etc. Don't get me wrong, keyboard shortcuts are needed, but i like to be able to play my RPGs with my mouse only. They definitely should get rid of that bottom skill bar, that shit belongs to MMOs not :obviously: RPGs.

905861-toee_5.jpg

:love:

Larian, pls.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can just imagine the two source hunters in front of the guard... "The peasant is lying!" "No, he's telling the truth!" "Can you excuse us for a moment" *plays 5 rounds of rock paper scissors, then turns to the guard* "Yeah... He's definitely telling the truth."
Suddenly I'm reminded of a couple of scenes in Dragonball Z.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'd love a ToEE selection wheel. Kinda sucks i have to use keyboard shortcuts for stuff like sneaking, breaking stuff etc. Don't get me wrong, keyboard shortcuts are needed, but i like to be able to play my RPGs with my mouse only. They definitely should get rid of that bottom skill bar, that shit belongs to MMOs not :obviously: RPGs.
Lol, I assigned my TOEE wheel to hotkeys because I couldn't be assed to navigate the wheel every time I wanted to do something repetitive like a 5 foot step.

hiver

ok, thats manageable... ill just leave it updating through the night. tnx Surf.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom