Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Hassat Hunter

Educated
actually this is a sandboxy game, even more so than the original dd.
Did someone inform Larian of that? Doesn't look like they got that memo...

EDIT:
What 'gameplay' does a barren room have?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Did someone inform Larian of that? Doesn't look like they got that memo...
they didn't? i guess they namedropped ultima 7 in their "vision statement" and included day-night cycles and npc schedules as stretchgoals just for the lulz. nevermind the dev comment about them not storylocking doors, just maybe making them stronger so 1st time players have a harder time missing out content that i originally replied to before you tried to tell me about how this game isn't at all what i think it is...
What 'gameplay' does a barren room have?
the same as all other barren rooms, of which there are plenty. sneak in, steal stuff, mebbe find something incriminating or interesting. plus said room would actually be a better position for the smelly boots than the dining hall.

garren

Arcane
Patron
You'll eventually find the annoying twat if you look around enough. You kinda need to anyway, because that pyramid in the bathroom is worthless without the one the imp gives you - I tried and it did nothing.
Looks like larian just found a new interaction that needs to be coded :smug:

Gord

Arcane
If you do it as intended, you get the 1st pyramid on the shelter plane. Using it there will give you some comment like "Maybe it's too far away".
So both have to be on Rivellon to work. Of course Larian might still add some failsafe (in form of adjusted dialogue) for people that break into the bathing house before meeting ZixZax.

Hassat Hunter

Educated
Maybe U7 was that way, but I don't see anything "sandboxy" about Divinity: Original Sin.
And to me; that's a good thing.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
And to me; that's a good thing.
aha.
a sandbox means you have some simple mechanics that can interact with each other and let players fuck around with those mechanics while offering little to no predetermined content.
sanboxy means sanboxlike without actually being a sandbox.
for story rpgs, sandboxlike in essence means the presence of various atomic mechanics that players can utilize to influence the world and creatively solve problems the game presents to them with.
the ability to kill npcs that have keys, the ability to pickpocket from npcs that have keys, the ability to lock-pick locked doors without the need for keys, the ability to bash down locked doors without the need for keys or lock-picking are all sandboxy problem-solving mechanics.
now, in crpgs as well as pnp there are two extremes on the gm/designer quality spectrum that are opposite each other.
one is the good gm/designer who will design a problem with a solution but will let players utilize their character's creatively and let them come up with their own solutions based on their character's abilities, effectively rewarding players for thinking creatively even if it means something the gm spent time designing might never see the light of day because the players' solution skips it. this is sandboxy design and u7 and dd as well were full of it. at best it is extremely rewarding at worst it either doesn't work or works but you miss out on something. this describes almost the entirety of dos.
the other is the asshat gm/designer who gives you a problem with a solution only known to him and will punish you for any solutions that deviate from it, whether they logically should work or not. this is known as railroading and it's at best irrelevant and at worst extremely frustrating and annoying. this describes everything bethesda made after morrowind as well as the goddamn room i am talking about.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, given enough time you CAN open those doors. I think the abandoned one will open in another 20-30 uses of flare.

Of course, there are other ways to get in it in the first place.

Hassat Hunter

Educated
I guess it's just sementics then.
For me sandbox means something very different than offering multiple sollutions (something I would never in my life expect to bind to sandbox). With that definition, yes, Original Sin is sandboxy...

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
My high perception character keeps on seeing things, and I can't find or see what it is they're claiming to discover. It'd be nice if it these things were highlighted with alt once discovered. This happened to me specifically outside the entrance to the cathedral/church.

Angthoron

Arcane
This might've been discussed already, but, I've been trying out co-op and we're getting massive lags rather randomly - both myself and the other player. What do?

Hassat Hunter

Educated
My high perception character keeps on seeing things, and I can't find or see what it is they're claiming to discover. It'd be nice if it these things were highlighted with alt once discovered. This happened to me specifically outside the entrance to the cathedral/church.
That would be the digsite left of the entrance, behind the tree.
Which is... unreachable.
Pretty sure Larian already knows of this bug though...

Stabbey

Learned
Next Update

Lar said:
Next update
Hi all,

The next big update will be by the end of next week, most likely on April 24th or 25th. It's a pretty big one featuring quite a few surprises you may not have been expecting. Personally I think it's almost as big an improvement as when we went from alpha to beta with plenty of bug fixes, balancing changes, usability improvements and a very respectable list of additions, courtesy of our hidden feature list that we're not telling anybody about. Expect things like formations, difficulty levels, much better pathfinding with party members avoiding traps and more!

Sadly that does mean that save games will not be compatible, so if you have any ongoing sessions, make sure to finish them by wednesday April 23rd.

Have fun this weekend!

I sure hope there's a lot of changes and bugfixes, because that sure was a huge list of bugs. I hope the usability improvements includes a sort button and a "Trading" interface between party members, because that would make inventory management so much better.

Hassat Hunter

Educated
No need for a trading interface if having 2 inventories besides each other easier to do (as in no draggin, but automatically opens beside the current inventory). Then it's just drag and drop (or easier, clicking the right or left mouse button once), no inbetween interface needed.
(infact that would only be an additional step that would be circumvented and unnecessary with just 2 inventories side by side)

Stabbey

Learned
The dragging and dropping is one of the things I like least about the current inventory system, and that just makes a slightly shorter drag and drop.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
i'd like to be able to rightclick to put things in the topmost container/inventory window besides the one i am clicking in and ability to have multiple inventories open.

For me sandbox means something very different than offering multiple sollutions (something I would never in my life expect to bind to sandbox). With that definition, yes, Original Sin is sandboxy...
it's not semantics or a weirdass definition. sandboxy means you do not overly restrict stuff otherwise available from atomic interactions unless it actually makes sense. multiple solutions are usually a result of that if you have good basic interactions/mechanics but neither have to be nor are they explicitly only available with sandboxy design. with this room somebody went out of their way to prevent atomic interactions without providing any reason for doing so and against the world's own internal logic and most importantly in stark contrast to how the rest of the game tries to present itself.

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
You can destroy the door to the mayor's back room, if you don't find the key in the house. I used a wolf summon to do so, to avoid a reaction to vandalism (a bug/exploit in the NPC AI that will be addressed).

Also, you should put up an option to turn off the screen auto-centering on your characters, I don't know what triggers it

Clicking and holding the left mouse button; presumably in your case unintentionally, so either a click held slightly too long, or the game registering a click as being held briefly. The other causes are obvious (switching lead characters, double clicking on the lead character's portrait or hitting the Home key).

Last edited:

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
i'd like to be able to rightclick to put things in the topmost container/inventory window besides the one i am clicking in and ability to have multiple inventories open.

it's not semantics or a weirdass definition. sandboxy means you do not overly restrict stuff otherwise available from atomic interactions unless it actually makes sense. multiple solutions are usually a result of that if you have good basic interactions/mechanics but neither have to be nor are they explicitly only available with sandboxy design. with this room somebody went out of their way to prevent atomic interactions without providing any reason for doing so and against the world's own internal logic and most importantly in stark contrast to how the rest of the game tries to present itself.

I think your jargon (which all sounds ever so "scientific") is sheer sophism -- atmonic interactions, emergence, etc). Actually, scratch that. It doesn't even rise to that level, its straight up bullshit.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
I think your jargon is sheer sophism. Actually, scratch that. It doesn't even rise to that level, its straight up bullshit.
do you have something relevant to say about the actual content of my post or did you just want to throw in some random irrelevant comment about its form?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think your jargon is sheer sophism. Actually, scratch that. It doesn't even rise to that level, its straight up bullshit.
do you have something relevant to say about the actual content of my post or did you just want to throw in some random irrelevant comment about its form?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom