Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

hiver

Its quite mind refreshing not to have every single important thing or item flashing at you, or shining icons hovering over or in front every-single fucking thing.
Or the game telling you where to go, what you see - and what to do!

Play OS to refresh you brains people!

Gord

Arcane
Yes?
Why the heck would you not like placing a waypoint at the end of a map and just see them run there? What good is going right next to me all the time?

It's quite liberating to finally have a RPG again where you don't have to press W all the time.

If it's at the end of the map, chances are you could just use one of the waypoints.
But I don't see a contradiction there. Seems like a small tweak to additionally make them run when clicking far away, or doing a, say, double-click.

Hassat Hunter

Educated
Well, explored map... like other side of city for example. Bad choice of words probably, point still stands.

It seems like an animation "issue" to me, they start walking, then go running. If you keep clicking close to you, they never get that far. But the real question would be; why would anyone do that constantly to get everywhere?

hiver

They do run when you click far away. And the camera doesnt snap back onto them as additional plus.

Sometimes they get stuck but most of the time they run just fine.

Gord

Arcane
Exactly, the trick is just not to constantly click close to your chars. Keep the button pressed and lead them or click fewer times further away.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It seems like an animation "issue" to me, they start walking, then go running. If you keep clicking close to you, they never get that far. But the real question would be; why would anyone do that constantly to get everywhere?

Sometimes people do that when they want to position their guys at just the right place before charging into combat, or if they want to take a peek inside a room, or something like that. Sometimes you just want to uncover terrain slowly and not overwhelm yourself with new stuff to click on.

Hassat Hunter

Educated
Isn't it a GOOD thing then that if you click close to yourself they go there with walking speed?

: Does not see issue :

hiver

Wait... the complaint was that if you click close...then they walk there?

for fuck sake...

This is getting just... too much. Sorry guise but, im going to order an asteroid bombardment as soon as possible.
The gene pool has become too polluted. This...this cant go on.

Sorry!

:dials 888-GOD-ALMIGHTY:

cmonn you fucker...answer!!!

wake up!

Hassat Hunter

Educated
Heh, I've actually not told yet what I thought of D:oS.

I like it very much so-far... especially due to the high conversation vs. combat ratio so far. Hopefully they can keep that up and not turn into total fightslogs later in the game like so many other RPG's.
The combat is TB (still hate that), but that's not the worst part about it. The AI is horrible, everything's broken and targeting a nightmare. Hopefully they get all that resolved soon. Although I don't mind rofl-stomping through 12 orcs since they all decide to end their turns for no good reason constantly, makes TB go a lot faster :)
But yeah, if talking about flawed gem, it's definitely super-flawed in it's current state. Of course beta has part to do with it, but some systems that are working as intended (repair) are still horrible by design.

And I can't be the only who finds it difficult to pick talents since with most the con is bigger than the pro. Only the con-less seem worth taking, which immediately closes out about 80% of them. Can't be the way it's supposed to be.

So yeah, it's fun to play, and so very very refreshing in the modern RPG world to have good old style again, but it definitely needs these few extra months of polishing. And hope they don't make the game less appealing to appease some Steam Forum whine-babies...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't it a GOOD thing then that if you click close to yourself they go there with walking speed?

Not really. It's redundant. You're already taking it slow from a high level perspective, as a player, moving and stopping, moving and stopping. You don't need the character animations to be slow too as they do that.

Compare it with the less "realistic", more uniform speed of movement in Wasteland 2 and you'll see what I mean.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Sometimes people do that when they want to position their guys at just the right place before charging into combat, or if they want to take a peek inside a room, or something like that. Sometimes you just want to uncover terrain slowly and not overwhelm yourself with new stuff to click on.

The slow movement is also the only way to go through ice surfaces without tripping. This probably has other uses. I find that, often, when you ask yourself why something works that way in Original Sin, there usually is a good reason.

Last edited:

hiver

Of course, the infinitron retard has not played this beta either.

So, he is praising and apologizing super stupid W2 - although he doesnt know anything about it himself, and he is trying to create some criticisms (or support those made by some players) about OS without playing it himself.

codex doesnt scale to those levels, EH?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

The slow movement is also the only way to go through ice surfaces without tripping. This probably has other uses. I find that, often, when you ask yourself why something works that way in Original Sin, there ususally is a good reason.

Ah, so it's an actual game mechanic. I'm not sure that game mechanic is universally welcome, though. Some would say that in an RPG only your stats should determine whether you slip on ice or not, not how and where you click on terrain.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your Dex also plays a role in checking whether you slip on ice or not, if I recall correctly.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
felipepepe can you come here and shit on the game like you did in the wasteland 2 thread please. I'm having a hard time not launching the beta.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe can you come here and shit on the game like you did in the wasteland 2 thread please. I'm having a hard time not launching the beta.
Sorry, I co-oped it last night with my brother, and we had a hell of a time, laughing a lot while doing derpy stuff and facing some really challenging combat. Also, the game is gorgeous.

BUT, it has a lot of minor bugs and glitches, so after we died horribly we decided to wait patiently for the full release before playing again. And I recommend you do the same.

Also, the rock/paper/scissors minigame is kind of fun in co-op, the flaw really is that is too long, you need like 4 victories to win the argument.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Does anyone else gets that music and sounds disappear in the tutorial cave?
or that "take all" command doesnt work?
sounds are pretty wonky and disappear for no reason all the time for me. dunno about take all but plenty of stuff doesn't work, like the hide helmet options.
You know much work would such a great task require?

One.

Fucking.

Line.

Of.

Additional.

Code.
more like number of environmental interactions times objects, either way it makes little sense for candles to light oil in a game where candles burn eternally and cannot be flipped over. braziers should have a low chance to light oil they are hanging over or standing in, but that's it. candles (along with torches, various kinds of braziers as well as the candle-topped skulls) should trigger gas cloud explosions, though, which afaik they don't atm.

The interesting thing is that candles have a "Burning" status applied to them when they're, well, burning. I tried shooting them in hope that that would destroy them and apply the burning effect to the ground they were on. No such luck.

Anyone know where to buy a shovel at?
Look around Cyseal beach, ahead of the liberators of wine, you should find one gratis.

If you're alraedy past that point, there's also a shovel stuck in the dirt in the graveyard in Cyseal.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, the rock/paper/scissors minigame is kind of fun in co-op, the flaw really is that is too long, you need like 4 victories to win the argument.
This is as valid a complain as that about clunky combat at the beginning of Gothic/Gothic 2/Risen.
Improve your dialogue skills and you will be able to win faster = more points per victory.

hiver

If you're alraedy past that point, there's also a shovel stuck in the dirt in the graveyard in Cyseal.
yup,
next to a suspiciously big grave mound (you actually need perception to see it)

Ah, so it's an actual game mechanic. I'm not sure that game mechanic is universally welcome, though. Some would say that in an RPG only your stats should determine whether you slip on ice or not, not how and where you click on terrain.
I havent personally threatened you so far, but keep this up and... i dont know.

:just joking (not): emote

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
there's also a shovel in esmeraldas cellar or whatever her name was... in fact there are shovels and pitchforks (which can be used for digging as well, according to their tooltip) pretty much everywhere.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The slow movement is also the only way to go through ice surfaces without tripping.
I think it would be better if walking/running was determined by a toggle/hold.

You poor thing. Hopefully, playing a proper RPG will cure you of your affliction. It will take time of course, but endure, and in enduring grow stronger.
I never said anything about dota being an RPG or any such thing. I mentioned it because it's what makes me want to move my characters in short precise movements (while not being slow as shit).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never said anything about dota being an RPG or any such thing. I mentioned it because it's what makes me want to move my characters in short precise movements (while not being slow as shit).
MOBAs are a blight. You might not realize it, but you have been defiled. It's still not too late, though. Turn around and see the light.

Hassat Hunter

Educated
Some would say that in an RPG only your stats should determine whether you slip on ice or not, not how and where you click on terrain.
I don't know... I think clicking on ice would very well determine that...

It's like walking into a big pool of poison and saying "It should not matter where I click on this terrain, even if I click on this big pile of poison. Why am I poisoned?"
If you dislike it, melt the ice...

Also, I know sometimes it's good to sacrifice realism and looks for a better gameplay (Knights of the Old Republic I spacesuit vs II spacesuit anyone?) but here, it's not the case.

EDIT:
Still on the walking speed, it seems wanting to change the RPG to fit his DOTA gamestyle, rather than adapt. Which is how we got crappy RPG's in the first place (we don't want to talk, adapt the game to suit us! and ! and quest marks were born.)
I hardly wish for this great step backwards to go forwards to the age of RPG-ultra-lite just to fit some DOTA-player(s).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom