Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Elthosian

Arcane
hey assholes,

Does anyone else gets that music and sounds disappear in the tutorial cave?

or that "take all" command doesnt work?

:rpgcodex:

Sound glitch happened to me while exploring the starting zone, though it was easily fixed by restarting the game.

Besides I enjoyed what I played quite a lot, so it wasn't much of a problem, loved how much stuff I could try at the tutorial cave (and how combat-light it was!), only real annoyance is that most fonts at the inventory/character screens are reaaaaally small if you play in a laptop, does Larian have plans for letting you increase the size?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Now, kindly shut the fuck up, and stop embarassing yourself any further, m'kay?

Again: no amount of environmental interaction justifies being super pissy about the things you listed. I don't really give a shit how you're selling that to yourself.

Have fun though. Watch out for those dungeon maps that don't line up perfectly with the overworld maps. Those are killers.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Does anyone else gets that music and sounds disappear in the tutorial cave?
or that "take all" command doesnt work?
sounds are pretty wonky and disappear for no reason all the time for me. dunno about take all but plenty of stuff doesn't work, like the hide helmet options.
You know much work would such a great task require?

One.

Fucking.

Line.

Of.

Additional.

Code.
more like number of environmental interactions times objects, either way it makes little sense for candles to light oil in a game where candles burn eternally and cannot be flipped over. braziers should have a low chance to light oil they are hanging over or standing in, but that's it. candles (along with torches, various kinds of braziers as well as the candle-topped skulls) should trigger gas cloud explosions, though, which afaik they don't atm.

hiver

Just trying to see if i should bother reporting it, since it seemed like something many players will have.
No major complaints so far.

The music is superb. If i didnt opt for that on kickstarter im going to buy it.

jdinatale

Cipher
So, been playing this coop with a friend the whole afternoon.

- We decided to be assholes and the game rewarded us for it !
- We froze evil twins with subpar chill spells that do nothing on regular opponents but are actually very effective on fire creatures
- We didn't actually have to much trouble with most of the the low-level combat encounters we went through, but were nearly killed several times by traps and/or environmental conditions we provoked ourself
- We were thrown in jail and escaped
- We argued about petty things and laughed about it
- We got a beating from a ghost after we desecrated his tomb
- We obtained great loot from an inattainable chest through exploration of a secret tunnel that lead to it and clever use of teleportation spells
- We kited ennemies we couldn't damage using teleport pyramids and sharing items with our magic pockets to survive
- We sneak behind evil mages and backstabbed them
- We tried to rob a cat who then turned into a badass sorcerer who fried our asses...
- We fought a fuckin burning undead wielding some sort of flamethrower .... ?!
That was amazing !

:love:

The game is certainly not perfect yet and probably never will be, but fuck if it's not fun. This is gonna be one of those classic flawed gem everyone remembers so fondly and has so many anecdotes to tell about.
Also, the writing is imaginative, decent and/or funny in most places. What are those complaints about ?

This game isn't a "flawed" gem. It's a gem gem, no flawed to it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
this game needs two things

1) always run option (or maybe there's a toggle I've missed)
2) read/use items directly from chest/shelf wherever it's looted from (so you don't have to go through a process of looting and using to read a scroll or whatever).

edit: snappier targeting and bigger "field of vision" (removing visual obstacles) too

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
I think your characters walk/run faster when you click further away from them.
Or keep the mouse button pressed while "leading" them - the distance between char and pointer should control speed, iirc.

Some cool things happen when you start to mix certain spells - e.g. the chill spell will make enemies more susceptive to water spells. But if the enemy is already wet, he gets frozen. I'm constantly fighting in the rain now.

What I like less is that they also ditched interruptions (when casting spells in combat).

Last edited:

bonescraper

bonescraper

why dont you suggest that to them directly? btw. what fucking good is going to do mentioning it here?
seems like a reasonable thing to expect, an easy thing to enable - and i will probably repeat the same thing when i encounter that situation.
I follow my own set of commandments, and the fist one says "Thou shalt not have any other forums but RPG Codex".

Now, kindly shut the fuck up, and stop embarassing yourself any further, m'kay?

Again: no amount of environmental interaction justifies being super pissy about the things you listed. I don't really give a shit how you're selling that to yourself.

Have fun though. Watch out for those dungeon maps that don't line up perfectly with the overworld maps. Those are killers.
Useful interaction vs usless interaction. Which is better and why? DISCUSS!

Actually, i'm not super pissy about it. Looks like you didn't click the spoiler tag when you read my first post. Not enough handholding?

And it's pretty ironic how you're the only one who's dragging this issue on and on, accusing me of nitpicking. STFU.
more like number of environmental interactions times objects
They probably could copy + paste a line of code from... a fire arrow?

either way it makes little sense for candles to light oil in a game where candles burn eternally and cannot be flipped over. braziers should have a low chance to light oil they are hanging over or standing in, but that's it. candles (along with torches, various kinds of braziers as well as the candle-topped skulls) should trigger gas cloud explosions, though, which afaik they don't atm.
Okay, you want to tackle this from this angle?

In D:OS you can move objects with your mind! (no lifting animations). You shouldn't expect Skyrim's level of object manipulation. That doesn't mean we shouldn't expect some meaningful interaction, especially when it was promissed.

But fuck it, i don't really care.

Gord

Arcane
Well, the arguing game is still a test.
If you don't like it or have a better idea, tell them - chances are that they will remove it again if people majorly don't like it.

I would still like to test in in co-op before deciding. Sadly my co-op buddy's parents-in-law came to visit over the weekend (poor guy), so we couldn't play our planned session, and now I'm out of town for the entire week and won't be able to play, anyway.

bonescraper

Well, the arguing game is still a test.
If you don't like it or have a better idea, tell them - chances are that they will remove it again if people majorly don't like it.
They should replace it with a nicely animated dice roll for both characters :obviously: ONE dice roll per character. Not 15.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
In D:OS you can move objects with your mind! (no lifting animations). You shouldn't expect Skyrim's level of object manipulation. That doesn't mean we shouldn't expect some meaningful interaction, especially when it was promissed.
i have nothing against interaction, especially the kind that makes sense (like gas clouds igniting from fire sources). your candles make no sense to me though, especially when considering that they are all over the place and would have to autoignite draw oil when in its area of effect, at no additional ap cost. not sure i like that.

bonescraper

they are all over the place and would have to autoignite draw oil when in its area of effect, at no additional ap cost. not sure i like that.
Bro, are you crazy? That would be SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And it's pretty ironic how you're the only one who's dragging this issue on and on, accusing me of nitpicking. STFU.

I'm only dragging it on because you keep making silly internet badass replies that make me twitch. Anyway I'll shut up now until the game's released. :thumbsup:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
oils flash point varies tremendously, from -43 C to 323 C, but since average candle flame temp is 1000 C that is moot.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
AhhhHdklajkgjakldgjkladgklagodigteoaknmc,gbauif

Ok I turned it off after the tutorial. It was insanely difficult to do, but I just have to wait. I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS
I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
AhhhHdklajkgjakldgjkladgklagodigteoaknmc,gbauif

Ok I turned it off after the tutorial. It was insanely difficult to do, but I just have to wait. I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS
I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS I CAN DO THIS
no, you can't. you know you want to play. c'mon. it's so easy. just click play on steam.

hiver

i have nothing against interaction, especially the kind that makes sense (like gas clouds igniting from fire sources). your candles make no sense to me though, especially when considering that they are all over the place and would have to autoignite draw oil when in its area of effect, at no additional ap cost. not sure i like that.
Telekinesis. Throw them onto flammable sources with your mind. that costs APs, right? (havent got it yet) If not then it should.

Just bashed in zombie mage with a guitar.

Ran into undead scorcher... first time i made it rain and he didnt shoot his flamethrower for the whole of the fight. Then i ran into some trap later, died - so had to do that fight again... but this time he used the flamethrower in the rain.
Which one is the bug, exactly?

Such bugs and quirks non withstanding, but this is like a therapy with a massage extra, in a jacuzzi - after W2.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I think your characters walk/run faster when you click further away from them.
Or keep the mouse button pressed while "leading" them - the distance between char and pointer should control speed, iirc.
exactly. do you guys really like this?
as a dota player I spam movement like hell, often near the characters. my characters basically always walk, and it's very irritating.

anyway, like TwinkieGorilla, I will try my darnest not to play any more before launch.

Gord

Arcane
exactly. do you guys really like this?
as a dota player I spam movement like hell, often near the characters. my characters basically always walk, and it's very irritating.

I have no problems with it. Works well, imho.

Hassat Hunter

Educated
Yes?
Why the heck would you not like placing a waypoint at the end of a map and just see them run there? What good is going right next to me all the time?

It's quite liberating to finally have a RPG again where you don't have to press W all the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom