Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Until getting shut down by a project director, of course. Do Larian have such figures? Inb4 Durance Extreme Edition, a companion with twenty times more content than every other character in the game

I imagine that would be David Walgrave as producer, the guy who has me ignored. :)

Chris: Sometimes these roles vary from studio to studio, so I’ll present them in the context of Obsidian.

A Project Director is responsible for the vision and having the “say” on the title – they are the ones that carry the torch for it, know what makes it tick, and they override everyone else on the project to see that that vision is brought forth.

Producers are the tasking and conscience for the project, responsible for seeing the Project Director’s vision realized… and at the same time, letting them know when there is not enough resources or time and then leave it up to the PD to make whatever cut makes the most sense for the game. Producers prioritize, monitor, and see that the development pipelines are running smoothly so that content can be generated properly and in the right order to facilitate other departments. And even if a pipeline is running well, it is also the Producer’s job to still examine it and see if it could run even better.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Watching this now. At around 10 minutes or so he starts going into deeper detail about stuff.

Every character will have an origin story. Some origins have racial constraints - like a certain origin can only belong to a Lizard PC. But others can apply to all races.

Larian discovers classic C&C. Same dialogue, different characters:

q7UltGn.jpg

Vault Dweller You won't be able to ignore them anymore soon!

The expanded lore leads to various interesting racial skills.

Elves can eat dead people and absorb their memories, which can have all sorts of effects. A human cannibal would just become infected with a disease, and a zombie would heal himself.

Lone Wolf characters might meet other Lone Wolf characters in the world who recognize them as such.

Swen mentions C&C that goes as far as destroying entire areas in the game.

sMgRwZc.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Swen shows an example of how multiplayer has improved the single player experience. The game allows other characters in your party to continue playing while one of them is in dialogue, and the game is actually designed to work with this. If you try to talk to a guard and walk past him with somebody else, the other guards will notice - they're not "locked in dialogue mode".

Competitive questing - two characters competing to finish the same quest, a third character comes and just pickpockets the quest reward from the NPC before they finish. The game is scripted to handle this.

"D:OS 1 led to marriages, D:OS 2 will lead to divorces" :)

Swen shows a situation where some characters in the party can actually strand the other characters on an island. They can come back later to pick them up with their boat, if they want. :M

(but there are other ways to get off)

There's a "Security Level" mechanic inspired by Invisible Inc, for simulating crime and mischief.

You can turn your own party members in to the guards using this.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Two characters in the party joining different factions with opposing goals.

Swen describes his "N+2" design paradigm again. Guards who allow humans and elves to pass, maybe lizards if you can convince them, never dwarves. Dwarves have a tunnel they can go through, or they can sneak.

There's always another solution. This allows the designers to make individual solutions very hard.

Crazy shit from the first game at https://youtu.be/Uyg9EZtVRSM?t=1985 :)

Why N+2 and not N+1? Because it's multiplayer, so if the "fallback option" is an item, one player could hoard it to himself. So there's a fallback to the fallback.

Skillbook crafting - combine two skillsbooks to create another skillbook. Some skills are only available this way.

Lacerate + Rain = Blood Rain

Create a blood puddle, then heal in it if you're a zombie.

Talking to spirits. Kill the poisoned mayor, then ask her who poisoned her.

Talk is over, four minutes of questions.

Question about death - it's permanent, unless somebody else resurrects you.

Good god, what a shitty crowd.

"Why did you change to turn-based combat, the old Divinity games were action"

Rock paper scissors is removed. Arguments are resolved via the "relationship system".

That's it!

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Two characters in the party joining different factions with opposing goals.

Swen describes his "N+2" design paradigm again. Guards who allow humans and elves to pass, maybe lizards if you can convince them, never dwarves. Dwarves have a tunnel they can go through, or they can sneak.

There's always another solution. This allows the designers to make individual solutions very hard.

Crazy shit from the first game at https://youtu.be/Uyg9EZtVRSM?t=1985 :)

Why N+2 and not N+1? Because it's multiplayer, so if the "fallback option" is an item, one player could hoard it to himself. So there's a fallback to the fallback.

Skillbook crafting - combine two skillsbooks to create another skillbook. Some skills are only available this way.

Lacerate + Rain = Blood Rain

Create a blood puddle, then heal in it if you're a zombie.

Talking to spirits. Kill the poisoned mayor, then ask her who poisoned her.

Talk is over, four minutes of questions.

Question about death - it's permanent, unless somebody else resurrects you.

Good god, what a shitty crowd.

"Why did you change to turn-based combat, the old Divinity games were action"

Rock paper scissors is removed. Arguments are resolved via the "relationship system".

That's it!

Not super many revelations here. The dwarf tunnel, the blood rain (and may the zombie blood puddle) were already mentioned during Kickstarter.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just watched the video - nice recap.
Couldn't figure out what this will actually look like. One character wants to respectfully bury a corpse, another wants to strip search it, and neither one wants to back down - what happens?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Just watched the video - nice recap.
Couldn't figure out what this will actually look like. One character wants to respectfully bury a corpse, another wants to strip search it, and neither one wants to back down - what happens?

It works by comparing between the relationship system stats and telling you who won, I guess. (Those same stats are then modified by the choices the characters made so it's a constantly evolving thing)

DraQ

Arcane
Rock Paper Scissors removed?

Though so far my biggest worry is that they won't incline the writing.
DOS writing was my biggest gameplay hurdle (to the point where I still haven't completed the game despite, for example, excellent and immensely fun combat mechanics). Getting through non-combat quest gameplay feels like just that much of chore despite quests themselves being nicely structured with interesting and reasonable solutions (I still plan to beat it, mind you).

Though TBH between MCA and not losing capable dialogue writers to parallel project I'm pretty confident that DOS2 will be a massive improvement on all fronts as long as no one does anything stupid (translation: don't lose Larian flavoured humour to either political correctness or desire to get serious, sure do build your serious and engaging setting if it's your ambition and you're confident you can do it, but don't give up on humour this is what pretty much made the previous Divinity games).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1533062

They'll be showing the new combat system at PAX East.

Before we get into the day’s announcements, we’d like to take a moment to reflect on the recent terror attacks in Brussels, a city not terribly far from our office in Ghent.

We are happy to say that everyone at Larian is fine and so are our loved ones, though we were of course shocked by what happened. May we all continue exuding light, dignity, and a little humor, even during dark events.

In that vein, we travel...

Into the Rifts!
Following the recent release of the virtual reality headset Oculus Rift, we are very excited to announce a preliminary version of our first foray into virtual reality (VR) gaming.

Who knows what Roderick's looking at? Or who's looking at him...

As diehard RPG enthusiasts, this is, of course, a brave new world for us at Larian. Check out Swen coming to grips with this exciting new technology in the video below:

Now, we cordially invite you to JOIN US in testing out our first attempt at VR gaming.

Who? PC players of Divinity: Original Sin- Enhanced Edition

What? Larian’s first in-game VR mode. You do NOT need a VR headset to try it.

Where? In your own living room/ dungeon/ Void

When? Right now!

How?
- Fire up Steam or GOG and download the most recent update for Divinity: Original Sin- Enhanced Edition.
- Start a new game. (The new mode won’t work in older saved games.)
- Conduct a little treasure hunt around the starting area of the game (VR-goggle engineering imps are known to hide loot along walls and behind crates) and you'll find a very special bag with everything you need to try the new mode.

Update the game and look around the starting area to find everything you need to experience VR mode.

Let us know what you think at the Larian forums.

Come kick our butts at PAX East!
We’ll be showing off our new combat system at PAX East featuring a whole range of new tactical options. We're dying to hear what you think, so stop by our booth (#10224) to try it out. You'll be able to challenge developers in arena matches or play against your friends, and there will be plenty of Larian loot for those who visit, including (but not limited to) badges, T-shirts, lanyards, and daily giveaways for a signed PS4 and copies of Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition.

We're also looking for feedback from players on our new VR mode (see above), so anybody who stops by and mentions the VR mode will get free loot as a token of our thanks.

Heading to London? See the game at EGX Rezzed!
If you're planning to visit EGX Rezzed on Friday, April 8, don't miss Swen's 2 p.m. presentation. There you can see a preview of the game in its current state and hear about some of the challenges and opportunities of bringing a multiplayer pen-and-paper experience to a story-driven cRPG.

The Enhanced Edition comes to the App Store - at last!
It took us a little time and a sacrifice to the Seven Gods, but the Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition upgrade is now available on the App Store to those of you who boughtDivinity: Original Sin for Mac. If that's you, simply launch the game and a new launcher will load, giving you access to both Divinity: Original Sin and the newer Enhanced Edition.

Choose your own adventures
We are also happy to announce that the editor we used to make Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition is now available on PC and Mac. This is a very powerful tool that can be bent and twisted to your will. Make simple mods to the game, or craft new adventures all your own.

The editor comes with all the art assets used in the game, so create an enchanted tundra, a hellish firescape, or... a cow field.

Join our Editor community to learn more, watch tutorials, or share your own tips and tricks.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Enhanced edition is still recieving patches today... at this rate original sin 2 will be in playable state post 2020 :troll:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Swen's EGX Rezzed talk will be streamed here in 27 hours:

Swen Vincke, Creative Director & Founder of Larian Studios explains how the team plans to overcome the challenges of giving multiple players pen-&-paper like freedom in a story-driven RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom