Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Shadenuat

Arcane
Are there any other chances to respec after the one on the ship?
You can always respect through mirror up to exploits like changing build whenever you want.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Too many cheesy ambushes

This is what I referred to as Doom 3 monster closets, and it also pisses me off. It's cheap as hell.

Each time you stumble upon a circular-ish area that has a bunch of ladders to it, you can be sure as hell that the moment you walk into the middle of it, shit will pop up all around in very conveniently placed tacticool positions and start pummeling you from high ground.

By this point in coop each time we approach sth like this, someone says "this looks like trubble", followed by "battle stations", and getting everyone teleported to the vantage points before the inevitable monster closet is opened and Swen appears behind you irl to slap you in the butt while yelling "GOTCHA, BET YOU DIDN'T EXPECT THAT!"

Hurr durr great design right there.

Monkeysattva

Cipher
When this came out I reinstalled the first one and still can't get passed level 5. When I got attacked by weaboo Skeleton archers with charm arrows, and was done with the horrible voice acting and unfunny animal dialogue, I quit. I'll just skip this one entirely and chalk up the positivity this series is getting to Codex myopia.

Mojobeard

Augur
How bugged is the blood rose at the moment? The EA version did all kinds of weird things, like stack the buff every time you loaded the game. Now I've heard the buff disappears if you die or level up. So it's just sitting in my inventory because I'm afraid to use it.

imweasel

Are there any other chances to respec after the one on the ship?
You keep the ship and can respec as often as you want.... which will probably happen once you realize that the wits stat is pretty useless because initiative only really determines which party starts first in combat. Then you take turns (you -> enemy -> you -> enemy...)

I think the ship stays with you, you get an option to "send loot to storage on ship" as well.
The option is there, but it doesn't work.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I don't get the criticism on the AI. For having played DOS EE recently, it's obvious that AI has been improved. It even has its moments. An exemple from 10 minutes ago : my wayfarer (Ifan) have the initiative and cast fossil strike on the enemy before using tactical retreat to get higher ground. Enemy cast nether swap on my wayfarer to exchange position so that Ifan himself stuck in the oil pond he had just summoned and shot from higher ground.

Frankly I see the AI having lesser meh moments and making good moves more often. Like those char skeletons casting fireball in the pit so its friendly fire heal them or NPCs placing themselves with a wall in the back to avoid being backstabbed.

Haven't played as many crpg as most people here, but really, as a DD3.5 ruleset enthusiast ; I'd even put DOS just after TOEE in terms of tactical fun.

But yes, an ingame encyclopedia with all skills attributes and talents fully described is excruciatingly missing. The descriptions we have now are much too imprecise.

About WIT's attribute uselessness, what about critical hits ? Also, does anybody here understand what exactly is the use of the savage sortilege talent ?

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
The one fight that pissed me off about that (enemies popping in) was the Trompdoy fight with the invisible walkways where after getting it down to just 1 enemy, 3 more spawned in. I said fuck that, reloaded, and then just...

stealthed through. Yeah, didn't even have that fight. Got to the end as a waling rock, talked to real trompdoy, broke a jar, and that was it.

I guess you lose out on the Ring of the Tyrant that way tho.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Speaking of bugs I'm still waiting for a patch to fix the gamebreaker in Driftwood.

Tried to do some modding to pass the time, add some guns to the game. It's not working, I think, because inventory icons are bugged in the mod tools.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I don't get the criticism on the AI. For having played DOS EE recently, it's obvious that AI has been improved. It even has its moments. An exemple from 10 minutes ago : my wayfarer have the initiative and cast fossil strike on the enemy before using tactical retreat to get higher ground. The enemy cast nether swap on my wayfarer to exchange position so that he find himself stuck in his oil pond he hadjust summoned and shot from higher ground.
Frankly I see the AI regularly making good moves. Like those char skeletons casting fireball in the pit so its friendly fire heal them or NPCs placing themselves with a wall in the back to avoid being backstabbed.

In DOS1 I once witnessed a sequence where:

Enemy 1 rezzed a dead Enemy 2, who in turn cast a de-stunner on stunned Enemy 3, who then buffed Enemy 4 with haste, who finally used an AoE stun on my bunched dudes.

Tell me more about improved AI because "hurr durr the skellingtons heal themselves with fireballs", which was bread and butter AI behaviour in the first damn game.

Murk

Arcane
The one fight that pissed me off about that (enemies popping in) was the Trompdoy fight with the invisible walkways where after getting it down to just 1 enemy, 3 more spawned in. I said fuck that, reloaded, and then just...

stealthed through. Yeah, didn't even have that fight. Got to the end as a waling rock, talked to real trompdoy, broke a jar, and that was it.

I guess you lose out on the Ring of the Tyrant that way tho.
You just have to
kill the real Trompdoy and the rest vanish.

Is he hidden as one of the fake ones in the fight or is he always near the end?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh yeah don't even remind me of those Trumpgoy fights. Some other guy back in this thread who said there were no pointless fights in this game was the joker of the century, because that whole dunjin was the purest definition of pointless.

Is he hidden as one of the fake ones in the fight or is he always near the end?

You can easily tell which is the real one because he doesn't turn blue when hit, unlike all the illusions. He also starts with the "cursed" status from the ring.

KateMicucci

Arcane
You deserve it for not paying attention in a puzzle dungeon.

Murk

Arcane
Guess so, in the previous fights all the trompdoys turned blue so I figured all of them are illusions -- and since they didn't drop anything, I just sneaked past figuring the whole thing is meant to waste my time.

Murk

Arcane
On enemy AI, so far the most clever singular act I've seen is the enemy casting decay on me followed by a restoration spell (or decay shortly after a restoration spell).

Been lots of teleport/swap shenanigans putting me in a firepit I've made, but that was present in the first game too -- I do also like that undead use poison attacks to heal each other.

IMO the AI is about on the same level as what I experienced in EE of the first game. I don't see major improvements or downgrades, and enemies tend to cluster less for my AOE bombardment, so there's that I guess.

Oh one thing that comes to mind that I also like -- the enemy will use objects (barrels) and each other to bounce attacks onto me (like with ricochet for example.) I don't think I saw that in the first game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So the Hater of Eternity has become a Hater of Divinity. A tag update is in order.

A positive PoE2 review will complete the transformation

Oh, to come back to this:

People can say whatever they want of Sawyer and his lololo balance, but you can bet your ass that even Sawyer would agree that the initiative system in this game is completely pants on head retarded. Which says a lot about the person who thought it was a good idea and how close (s)he should be allowed to any form of system design.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We'll only know that for sure when Josh finally gets to make a turn-based game. The possibilities are endless! :troll:

Anyway, another thing about the content I forgot to ask about: atmosphere, world design, area design.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Oh yeah don't even remind me of those Trumpgoy fights. Some other guy back in this thread who said there were no pointless fights in this game was the joker of the century, because that whole dunjin was the purest definition of pointless.

You can easily tell which is the real one because he doesn't turn blue when hit, unlike all the illusions. He also starts with the "cursed" status from the ring.

You can just sneak past that whole encounter.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

thx lah its not like murk just said the same thing

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The issues with initiative/turn-order is by far too infuriating to give a pass, and apparently that shit is hard-coded and unfixable.

Shelved the game until Larian actually fixes this shit (if ever). What a fucking joke.

Someone at the office should be taken out back and shot for pushing that through.

Seriously. What the fuck.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane

thx lah its not like murk just said the same thing
It's not like it's in a spoiler without a quote or anything.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We'll only know that for sure when Josh finally gets to make a turn-based game. The possibilities are endless! :troll:

Anyway, another thing about the content I forgot to ask about: atmosphere, world design, area design.
A bit too early to comment on those three, isn't it?

I have a question: in the tower you get into after passing through the maze on the west side of the island, how are you supposed to disable the fire trap?

I just used teleportation.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
To the prestigious codexers:

1. Where are yellow and green teleporter pyramids?
2. Why can't i teleport to lady vengeance using pyramids? It's says "the destination pyramid doesnt answer the call. Is something blocking it"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom