Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Seethe

Arbiter
All it does is ensure that Initiative is beyond useless, possibly even detrimental, since it in no way decides who goes first, it only determines the order on each side.

This is seriously the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a turn-based RPG. I'm not even joking. All the other issues are by-and-large debatable, but this shits over an already lackluster stat (Wits), invalidates an entire game mechanic (Initiative) and enforces some misguided idea of fair play in a non-competitive context. It's seriously, seriously wtf. There's a minimum of one person at Larian that should be physically disciplined and be sent to bed without supper.

All Wits is now is essentially a tax to allow you to find "secrets". What this game needed was not more useless, one-sided or shallow Attributes.

And crits. Still, I've put points into that on my casters so I can cast shit like fortify at the start at the round before the enemy gets to act....what a waste. The initiative part is so, so useless. So what, just invest one point into wits on all characters for the sake of order? Maybe 2 on one guy and 1 on another guy to have a more specific order. What were they thinking?

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
All it does is ensure that Initiative is beyond useless, possibly even detrimental, since it in no way decides who goes first, it only determines the order on each side.

This is seriously the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a turn-based RPG. I'm not even joking. All the other issues are by-and-large debatable, but this shits over an already lackluster stat (Wits), invalidates an entire game mechanic (Initiative) and enforces some misguided idea of fair play in a non-competitive context. It's seriously, seriously wtf. There's a minimum of one person at Larian that should be physically disciplined and be sent to bed without supper.

All Wits is now is essentially a tax to allow you to find "secrets". What this game needed was not more useless, one-sided or shallow Attributes.

And crits. [...]
+1% per point. Completely fucking meaningless, in the grand scheme of things. For 10 points, we're talking either +10% crit chance vs. +50% damage. Wits was barely useful outside of being an Attribute Tax for finding "secrets" before. Now it's just trash. I'm considering simply cheating +10 Wits in to find secrets, because the effect on the characters will be non-existent anyway.

Let's also not forget that no, Wits does not contribute to Persuasion. Persuasion is the only thing that affects Persuasion attempts, even if they're divided up into [Strength] or [Intelligence] or [Wits].

Vibalist

Arcane
Yeah, this is a baffling design decision. Wits went from being a really good stat in EA to being utterly useless. That makes two useless stats, as Con barely increases your health and adds nothing to your physical armor.

One solution to this that doesn't involve reverting back to the old system is to make Wits do something else. What, I don't know, but it needs to do something.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What affect preset you selected?
For Fane I chose Wayfarer, because it is less cumbersome that any other preset, while I want to play with Scoundrel skill.
So I got Toy Crossbow and arrows - does it mean later game roll for me weapon like that, or it will see my actual skillset?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I really wish there was a less fucking annoying way to split your chars. Especially since you HAVE to split ALL of them before EVERY battle. Coz every encounter feels like you walking in an elaborate trap. From Chapter 2 on it seems the only way you can beat anything is to: 1) split your party, 2) position everyone carefully far from the expected encounter, 3) send a scout, trigger the encounter and run, 4) lure the mobs into your waiting party and pray.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the difficulty actually seems to go up? In Chapter 2 mobs do hundreds of dmg per turn but my armor is lacking and buying shit is bloody expensive. There are 9 pieces of equipment for each char and I just can't upgrade everyone, constantly, with the top notch gear. And even if I could finding good gear is so hit and miss. You find shit with Warfare and Two-Handed but high Finesse requirement. Or great magic boosts with strength requirement. Or shit like One-Handed + Loremaster + Huntsman or some such.

I'm drilling through the content so far but I have to reload each encounter several times. The Scarecrows in the fields push my shit all the way through no matter what I do and the four Voidwakens in the cave do almost 400 damage per turn. Each. I beat the Assassins by the cemetery only because Tarquin helped me. And that's on Classic.

Well noone can shit on trash mob combat in DOS2 that's for fucking sure. Every encounter feels like a boss fight.

Vibalist

Arcane
This poll on the official forums reminds me why I hate humanity.

I wonder who the 4% who chose "I have no opinion whatsoever on the matter" are?

I actually went for option no. 2, which is that the armor system needs a slight tweak. I think effects should have an increasing chance of breaking through armor as the armor decreases. If someone has full armor, say, they should have a 80-90 % chance of blocking the effect. If their armor is low, it should be 20-30 %.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
(Shandalar

Do you play Manalink?

Nope I play Magic Online. I did play it a while back.
I played that too but it was too expensive. I would play it constantly if I just had a bit more money to blow on gaming but I couldn't really justify the amount I was spending. I started playing Standard format but the rotations meant I spent quite a lot each month to keep up with the latest must have cards. Then I thought fuck this and started playing Extended which is much better, although you still come up against some crazy decks that just try to gank you in 2 turns so you have to fight back with some uber cards which means spending real money. The problem for me is that I could afford a really good deck or two, but I get bored of that after a while and want to play something else... and then I don't wanna spend another $100+ to make another deck. Great game though, just wish it was cheaper.

So yeah I play Manalink. Gimpy AI but it does the job and I play regularly about 50 different decks. Any idea I have, I can make an awesome deck and it is free :)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Does DoS2 fix the annoying thing with the animations where you sometimes click a character and then he moves out the way and you end up clicking the wrong place?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I really wish there was a less fucking annoying way to split your chars. Especially since you HAVE to split ALL of them before EVERY battle. Coz every encounter feels like you walking in an elaborate trap. From Chapter 2 on it seems the only way you can beat anything is to: 1) split your party, 2) position everyone carefully far from the expected encounter, 3) send a scout, trigger the encounter and run, 4) lure the mobs into your waiting party and pray.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the difficulty actually seems to go up? In Chapter 2 mobs do hundreds of dmg per turn but my armor is lacking and buying shit is bloody expensive. There are 9 pieces of equipment for each char and I just can't upgrade everyone, constantly, with the top notch gear. And even if I could finding good gear is so hit and miss. You find shit with Warfare and Two-Handed but high Finesse requirement. Or great magic boosts with strength requirement. Or shit like One-Handed + Loremaster + Huntsman or some such.

I'm drilling through the content so far but I have to reload each encounter several times. The Scarecrows in the fields push my shit all the way through no matter what I do and the four Voidwakens in the cave do almost 400 damage per turn. Each. I beat the Assassins by the cemetery only because Tarquin helped me. And that's on Classic.

Well noone can shit on trash mob combat in DOS2 that's for fucking sure. Every encounter feels like a boss fight.

I've went for the all out mages party with two pyros, one summoner, and one hydro, and can't even nuke propertly... Even if i manage to strip magic shields, its too late because enemy will tear my armor with ease, apply backstab, bleeding, decaying, disease, curse and plethora of other shit statuses, before i can apply my CC such as rain+froze, or some blinding, muting, etc. I'm on level 9 or 100, and my fireballs deal like 200 dmg, which is 1/3 or 1/2 of enemy magic armor. After two turns im basically gone :/. Have crappy armor, because everything costs like 1-2k, and i only have 15k cash, and i still need to buy some skills.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Does DoS2 fix the annoying thing with the animations where you sometimes click a character and then he moves out the way and you end up clicking the wrong place?

Nope, and its a headeache, as i have to reload, when i accidentally click some junk like i would be an idiot petty thief, who want to steal tin fork in a broad daylight and throw whole city against me...

Malpercio

Arcane

I've went for the all out mages party with two pyros, one summoner, and one hydro, and can't even nuke propertly... Even if i manage to strip magic shields, its too late because enemy will tear my armor with ease, apply backstab, bleeding, decaying, disease, curse and plethora of other shit statuses, before i can apply my CC such as rain+froze, or some blinding, muting, etc. I'm on level 9 or 100, and my fireballs deal like 200 dmg, which is 1/3 or 1/2 of enemy magic armor. After two turns im basically gone :/. Have crappy armor, because everything costs like 1-2k, and i only have 15k cash, and i still need to buy some skills.
I guess one solution to the crappy armor is respeccing/making a new thief character over and over to steal from merchants. (Since one character can't steal multiple times)

The armor system makes the (already bad) itemization worse, in DOS1 you could sorta wing it, but in this game everyone has a massive amount of HP + shields so you'll want to have top armors, always. Hit a new level? Get ready to spend the next hour in some sort of inventory nightmare.

I played a mage party and I had the same issue. Hard to nuke anything when everyone is teleporting all over the map and I can't CC them for shit.

Ruzen

Savant
Regarding that free +3 Memory talent. I too think it's not a no-brainer choice. In my situation, I created this support/disable char who has lots of spells but none of them uses Intelligence. So I got this lots of free points for my attributes. Allowing me to trade 3 Memory for 1 talent.

One another thing I wanted to ask though, having Savage Sortie effects healing or summoning? Do all magical skill have their critical version?

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I guess one solution to the crappy armor is respeccing/making a new thief character over and over to steal from merchants. (Since one character can't steal multiple time)

So each time i use mirror, it counts as new char, so i can go on thieving spree again?
Still i cant nab some stuff, because its too pricey, like 5-7k.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Question about the Driftwood Arena
If I don't do the first fight in the arena blindfolded, will Murga ever fight me? If not, then I will have to come back for this later. I bat it at level 8 without blindfolds and it was a pain in the ass to do so.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I played a mage party and I had the same issue. Hard to nuke anything when everyone is teleporting all over the map and I can't CC them for shit.

I think they want to encourage building broad characters as opposed to tall character, who dump all ability points in one ability. So not going 10 in pyro, but 1 in aero so you can teleport, 2 or 3 in poly so you can fly, or debuf. But the problem is all debuffs need stripped phys armor/magick armor, so you need those nukers/hitters, and with lowering primary dmg dealer skill you lower dmg dealing ability. It's a fucked up system honestly.

Edit: I think there should left some debuffs that go through phys/magicka armor.
And its really inconvenient that there's no skill encyclopedia ingame, so you can see skills, and plan your build. What kind of game is that without such essentials?

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Question about the Driftwood Arena
If I don't do the first fight in the arena blindfolded, will Murga ever fight me? If not, then I will have to come back for this later. I bat it at level 8 without blindfolds and it was a pain in the ass to do so.

You have to fight blindfolded. One way I found useful is to position everyone on one of the wooden towers, beat the melee guys there while enduring the bombardment from the archer and mage from below (they have damage debuff) and then go back down and finish them off.

Don't sweat it too much tho, the reward is some trash plus one key I haven't found a lock to yet.

Shadenuat

Arcane
In Chapter 2 mobs do hundreds of dmg per turn but my armor is lacking and buying shit is bloody expensive.
- Max barter, give bribes to increase discount
- Max Thievery, put 1 point into Metamorph for Invis
- 1 point in Lucky Charm means every container in the game from book shelf to chest will have a chance for extra loot for char looting.
- Put 2-3 points for every char into every armor attribute (mage will have 13 str, 13 fin, else int, etc.). It's only 1-3 points needed. Proceed to mix and match armor pieces however you like.
- Steal gold from everyone once you can steal at least 3k gold. Steal gold, autosort inventory - they can't blame you now. Steal skill books. Search people with lotsa gold. Sometimes they can be at strange places (there is 3k gold fisherman in main hub near docks).

Well they did good job but voidbugs in cave are exactly trash mobs, as well as copy pasted cultists. Scarecrows are tough but you've yet to find most broken shit (especially due to initiative) like Hanagh fight, so prepare your anus.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
In Chapter 2 mobs do hundreds of dmg per turn but my armor is lacking and buying shit is bloody expensive.
- Max barter, give bribes to increase discount
- Max Thievery, put 1 point into Metamorhp for Invis
- 1 point in Lucky Charm means every container in the game from book shelf to chest will have a chance for extra loot for char looting.
- Put 2-3 points for every char into every armor attribute (mage will have 13 str, 13 fin, else int, etc.). It's only 1-3 points needed. Proceed to mix and match armor pieces however you like.
- Steal gold from everyone once you can steal at least 3k gold. Steal gold, autosort inventory - they can't blame you now. Steal skill books.

This is a black man from atlanta simulator lel.This is bloody exhausting, not only you have to find and open every barrel esp. with lucky charm, then you have to pickpocket all characters. First blind playthrough of this game in that fashion, will take me ages.

And about sneaking. The Ai is retarded, once you sneak your whole team past enemy vision cones, they just freeze in combat. You can move as you like, do as you want, pass turns. They should be looking for characters by moving.
And sneaking shouldn't shrink cones of vision, but highten the time you need to be in vision cone to be spotted[in real time]. Currently is a binary system, where you are either spotted when go into enemy vision cone, or not. In turn based time, it would have to be ofc in the old binary way, or the cone of vision would be shorter, instead of narrower.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Good advice, I started doing this myself. Really glad that the stat requirements on gear is so low.

Malpercio

Arcane
I guess one solution to the crappy armor is respeccing/making a new thief character over and over to steal from merchants. (Since one character can't steal multiple time)

So each time i use mirror, it counts as new char, so i can go on thieving spree again?
Still i cant nab some stuff, because its too pricey, like 5-7k.
No, but you can make new chara on the ship by talking to the NPCs.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Any passive or active ways to earn money in this game? Since loot won't replenish, mobs won't reappear, there might be a point in the game when you would be out of money, if you pickpocketed everyone, loot everything, but was buying the best armor every levelup, so you ended up without money, and the endgame is nowhere near?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Running out of money in an RPG? Unheard of! Seriously, that sounds like incline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom