Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw such a shame Larian dropped the ball on food and cooking FUCKING AGAIN. Food only heals what, 10-15%? And cooking high-level meals is not exactly trivial, finding all the ingredients plus a stove. Even if you waste that Dinner perk it's still far from worth it. Jesus christ Vincke.
Well... It's not the healing that is so important with food. You get some pretty good buffs from good food. Hell even just bread gives you +1 Strength.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One thing that DOS2 changes is that your AP spent on movement is based on distance traveled after you've taken your first turn to move.

For example: If I take a few steps forward I lose 1 AP but I can then take a few more steps forward for 0AP. This is extremely useful for nudging characters into the right spot. In DOS1 each movement in a turn spent a minimum of 1AP.

So if you move your character in the general spot you think your gucci for. You can usually slide them around a few more steps at 0AP to get it perfect, depending how far they moved to get there.
I don't think it works like that. I think you are allowed to move anything between 0.1 and 5m per AP (without accounting for status effects that could be modifying this).

If you move for example 1m, you can move the remaining 4m for 0AP. Now, I think, that on the next turn this is not reset, so if you moved 1m forward and skipped turn, you'll still have 4m available for 0AP on your next turn.

Murk

Arcane
For LOS issues I've encountered I've found that when at the top, you basically have to be at the absolute edge to get a clearer view. When at the bottom, you have to put some space between you and the place. Doing this I was able to fly/teleport/aim at most of the places.

Other thing I've noticed is if there's an object in your LOS but you can still aim, aiming at the "tip of the enemies head" or "feet" makes a difference in being able to hit.

I do wish they brought back blind attacking via ctrl+click in combat so I could just aim behind the enemy and let the ballistic path hit the enemy like in D:OS1.

cvv You say that, but food is better healing for me than small potions are right now, as even 10% is more than 30 and it lingers with a minor buff (and they're way cheaper than the weak red pots.)

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...success-makes-mac-release-strong-possibility/

- Swen had been hoping a half-million sales by X-Mas
- D:OS 1 sold nearly 2 million (includes console sales. According to Steamspy it sold nearly 1.4 million on Steam. Assuming GOG sales are 10% of Steam, consoles sales are nearly a half-million)

Divinity: Original Sin 2 success makes Mac release strong possibility

Divinity: Original Sin 2 [official site] left Early Access less than a week ago and in the first four days it sold almost half a million copies. Those are the kind of figures, Larian CEO Swen Vincke tells me, that he’d been hoping for “by Christmas”. The game is only available for Windows at the moment and during the Early Access period, the studio stated that, “A decision on other platforms will not be made until after the full release.” With that full release now behind us, I asked if the strong sales made support for new platforms more likely. Short answer: “yes”. Longer answers on that and other matters below.

Larian started work on Original Sin 2 using the engine that ran the Enhanced Edition of its predecessor, and that version was ported to consoles as well as Mac, Linux and Windows. It always seemed likely that similar support would arrive for the sequel at some point, but perhaps due to delays to the Linux version of the original game, no firm promises have been made this time around. But in response to a question about whether the sales success made ports more likely, Vincke told me:

“Yes. We deliberately focused on the gameplay of the Windows PC version first because it was such a complicated game to make and we didn’t want to lose time on the inevitable additional hassle cross-platform development brings with it.”

Our Divinity: Original Sin 2 review think it’s superb so its popularity seems well-earned, but given how difficult it can be to stand out in such a crowded market, I asked Vincke if he thought the Early Access period and Kickstarter had helped the game to build an audience.

“Yes, I think so. Our players have been very vocal during development and because of them the game became a lot better. I imagine they talked to their friends about the game and that as a result some of those friends may have given it a shot. From there on I guess it snowballed.

“We learnt from D:OS 1 that there was a market big enough to support this type of game. So we figured that if we would make a game that improved on the original and show it to as many people as possible, that would get some attention. That’s where the Kickstarter and Early Access helped us a lot. A lot of people discovered the game already prior to release so on release date they could tell the others about their experience.”

Original Sin 1 sales are now “close to 2 million (console included)” but it took a few months to reach the sales figures the sequel has already hit. Kickstarter and Early Access may have helped, but Vincke says there’s no magic formula, and that’s no bad thing.

“There are so many way of making games and luckily for players everyone does it in a different way. There is no right or wrong way when it comes to making games and sometimes a game design that is seen as a total failure by many may contain the seeds of the next big thing. That’s one of the things that is so cool about game development.”

We’re still exploring every corner of the game and also looking to build some adventures of our own in the GM mode. Currently trying to decide if Horace is an end-boss or potential party member.
It's funny, because it's very rare that I'm genuinely happy for the success of a developer or a game release in a personal sense. But Swen expecting 500k units sold sometime around Christmas, and hitting that in ~4 days instead makes me irrationally happy, almost giddy.

I'm just going to assume that some of Larian's people actually frequents this place, whether they post or not, and to any of you that see this, congratulations, guys. No game is perfect, but even with the flaws I can seemingly obsess over, Original Sin 2 is fantastic.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yea this annoys the fuck out of me.
One thing that DOS2 changes is that your AP spent on movement is based on distance traveled after you've taken your first turn to move.

For example: If I take a few steps forward I lose 1 AP but I can then take a few more steps forward for 0AP. This is extremely useful for nudging characters into the right spot. In DOS1 each movement in a turn spent a minimum of 1AP.

As the guy above said, it was the same in dos1, both base and the ee.

However, one thing that is important here in comparison to dos1 - since dos1 was much more lenient with AP, wasting 1-2 to get into position and finding you've been fooled wasn't always tragic, because typically you still had a bunch left for a backup plan. Meanwhile here you use 1 out of the universal 4 and suddenly you're in deep shit.

Another thing that pisses me off:

Despite all the bonus things being added into high ground/elevations, it seems to me that spell AoEs haven't actually followed suit. What I mean is, I am 90% positive that in dos1 if you had 2 characters in close proximity but on levels 0 and 1, and you cast fireball on level 0, the dude on level 1 wouldn't be hit. Meanwhile imagine my surprise yesterday when my guy climbed up a ladder to escape a baddie, then used impalement under that ladder, and both of them were hit.

If you move for example 1m, you can move the remaining 4m for 0AP. Now, I think, that on the next turn this is not reset, so if you moved 1m forward and skipped turn, you'll still have 4m available for 0AP on your next turn.

It resets for sure.

duanth123

Arcane
Anyone reached that early part in Act II where

You investigate the wrecker caves and your party is split up and webbed by voidwoken and then each party member has to fight their way out back to each other.

That was a fantastic dynamic and a genuinely disturbing moment.

Mojobeard

Augur
Trading feat for 3 stat points is bad idea.
People keep saying that. Two things.
First: there really, really, isn't that many interesting talents for all builds. Especially ones that aren't bugged (Far Out Man) or nerfed (Executioner). For a mage with all spell schools, having three extra spells to choose from is a much better option.
Second: in the first chapter, it's good for anyone, afterwards you can just magic mirror it to something else.

Perkel

Arcane
Does this time it has good stat system or it also is mess like OS1 ? I loved OS1 gameplay but i hated stat system and randomized weapons/armor loot.
The stat system is effectively completely neutered, and they mostly add straight to damage in a predictable and unengaging fashion, with the mechanical depth of a wet blanket. Probably on of the few things in the game that are objectively unmitigated decline.

Decline man. How about level scaling ? Still enemies 2-3 levels above you get those fucking crap bonuses to ensure you shouldn't fight with them ?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does this time it has good stat system or it also is mess like OS1 ? I loved OS1 gameplay but i hated stat system and randomized weapons/armor loot.
The stat system is effectively completely neutered, and they mostly add straight to damage in a predictable and unengaging fashion, with the mechanical depth of a wet blanket. Probably on of the few things in the game that are objectively unmitigated decline.

Decline man. How about level scaling ? Still enemies 2-3 levels above you get those fucking crap bonuses to ensure you shouldn't fight with them ?
Scaling is area based afaik, meaning when you arrive in an area it will scale human enemies accordingly and they'll stay like that forever.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How much memory do you folk take? I found myself taking a lot of points there, but I'm unsure if it's just because I'm very low level and the incredible lack of slots and it get useless later on, or if memory is legit something we have to take with most characters.

1) I feel like everyone should get Mnemonic, no excuses

2) Beyond that I roll with it and spend points on Memory when I actually have new skills I want to use.

Disagree entirely. A +3 in your main stat is very good for a talent, and that's effectively what Mnemonic gives you since nearly everyone will need at least 3 points in Memory.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This poll on the official forums reminds me why I hate humanity.

People keep saying that. Two things.
First: there really, really, isn't that many interesting talents for all builds. Especially ones that aren't bugged (Far Out Man) or nerfed (Executioner). For a mage with all spell schools, having three extra spells to choose from is a much better option.
Second: in the first chapter, it's good for anyone, afterwards you can just magic mirror it to something else.
What kinda pisses me off is just how extremely specific some talents are, and that some talents aren't even simply good, but are actually reasonable trade-offs (Demon, for example). There's also some really odd exclusives, such as Executioner/The Pawn - I mean, I understand that they're afraid of stacking AP bonuses, but come on, it can't possibly be bad enough to actually ban it, and it's not like Scoundrel/Warfare suffers from some enormous overlap or cross-skill support.

Far Out Man doesn't even apply to weapons and such anymore, and meanwhile, Slingshot only works for grenades. And then there's shit like Ambidextrous; only affects grenades, and only saves you 1 AP, but only if your off-hand is free. Who the fuck is going to go duelist style if that's the only possible benefit of it? There's literally zero support for duelist-style combat beyond that. And who the fuck thought to name it Ambidextrous when it doesn't benefit dual-wielding at all, in any way? It's make it Quick-Draw or something.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Divinity equipment management 101

lgIWd5f.png

Or loot system. Or arms race. Call it whatever you like, but it's worst part of the game.

Shit is completely meaningless, but you can't survive without it since armor is your life, or big part of it. Hit new level - go shopping. The higher the level, the worse it gets: get new sword - see damage jump from 100-200 to 200-300, because of whole scaling system behind the hood. Repeat for 4 characters. That's what developers want you to do, since that's what is effective. Actually had some level 10 or 11 stuff on level 15 characters. Enemies won't forgive you for that - they always have max hp and seem have best armor appropriate for their level.

And you can't not do it since you just don't get enough equipment from dungeons or quests - you get very little, and it becomes obsolete very fast.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Disagree entirely. A +3 in your main stat is very good for a talent, and that's effectively what Mnemonic gives you since nearly everyone will need at least 3 points in Memory.

That is not what was i asking. I ask if enemies still use bullshit scaling mechanic where enemies get cheat boost to their evasion, armor whatever so you can't hit them or make any decent damage despite fact that you being 2-3 level below their levels isn't much difference.

This is how it was in OS1. While i loved unpredictable and creative combat i hated at the same time stats and that you can't properly tackle higher leveled content because game cheats.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
How much memory do you folk take? I found myself taking a lot of points there, but I'm unsure if it's just because I'm very low level and the incredible lack of slots and it get useless later on, or if memory is legit something we have to take with most characters.

1) I feel like everyone should get Mnemonic, no excuses

2) Beyond that I roll with it and spend points on Memory when I actually have new skills I want to use.

Design-wise, it's shit, though, because everyone will need that +3 to Memory. At that point, I have to ask myself why it's even a choice to make. The memory stat feels like some kind of points tax, and the Mnemonic talent really just makes it a form of feat tax.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I do fine without Mnemonic. Even better since I got feats I spoke about. Pawn helps to get around the battlefield without spending super precious action points - like a free getaway from an area affect for example and many other uses. Opportunist on everyone punishes enemy whenever it moves, etc.
Although it speaks a lot about the game when people just want more of +5% drug juice instead of actual "feats".

And as I said, you can have 10+ skills without single point in Memory. For example, you can play something like pure Pyro + 2 Handed or Warfare + dual wielding + whatever.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

That is not what was i asking. I ask if enemies still use bullshit scaling mechanic where enemies get cheat boost to their evasion, armor whatever so you can't hit them or make any decent damage despite fact that you being 2-3 level below their levels isn't much difference.

This is how it was in OS1. While i loved unpredictable and creative combat i hated at the same time stats and that you can't properly tackle higher leveled content because game cheats.

...wut? I wasn't even replying to you

I do fine without Mnemonic./QUOTE]

Didn't say you couldn't, said it was an excellent talent. I'm sure you could do fine with many things

Mojobeard

Augur
I ask if enemies still use bullshit scaling mechanic where enemies get cheat boost to their evasion, armor whatever so you can't hit them or make any decent damage despite fact that you being 2-3 level below their levels isn't much difference.
It's still kinda like that. Not sure about evasion/hit chances. But for everything else, yes. Enemy damage, armor, HP. An encounter that's one level higher is manageable, two levels unfair, three gets your shit pushed in. You can cheese them probably, but eh.
To counter that, you pretty much have to do everything. Kill everything. There was talk about this earlier in this thread; "Levels are the most important stat".
On the flipside, an enemy that's one level below dies in one or two attacks.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
How much scaling did these guys put in the game? If I hold off on a quest or encouter that gives me a good unique can I come back later and get a much better version?

The last time I had to do something like that was.... playing Oblivion.

Renevent

Cipher
This game has basically become my favorite turn based cRPG since ToEE. Absolutely love it, and I think they've really improved many aspects over the original especially the item system. Around the middle of the original finding new items was a bore, they weren't that interesting. The sequel is so much better in this regard, lots of cool unique/legendary items and they look really cool too. Not sure how far I am in the game but I am basically wrapping up the 2nd island (probably 25 hours in). Anyone know if there's a 3rd area after the 2nd island?

Seethe

Arbiter
Game is pretty good. I love the amount of interactions, and that there's a story behind most combat encounters instead of just throwing trash mobs in my face to grind gear and XP. Game clearly has a lot of replayability.

My complaints thus far: most talents are lame, the inventory management is better but still horrifying, the way initiative works is pretty dumb, forcing you to take Wits only on one character for the sake of initiative. The game also needs a "just walk over the fucking poison puddle" button for the whole party. Unless there is one already and I don't know about it. It happened pretty often for me to click on a location far away on the map and go take a piss, only to notice upon returning, my main character arriving there, and the rest of my party standing still near a ground effect, half way across the map.

Seethe

Arbiter
the way initiative works is pretty dumb, forcing you to take Wits only on one character for the sake of initiative.
What are you talking about?

Ever noticed how no matter the encounter, the second attacker is always the enemy? Not matter how many Wits you have on everyone, all battles will be like that. Initiative is broken and useless. So like if you have 15 wits on two characters and the enemy you fight has 14 wits, he will be the second to act anyway, despite both your characters having more Wits.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just noticed there are defense skills.

Holy shit, are they useless. :lol:

I mean, Perseverance:
5% recovered (physical OR magical) armor per level AFTER being afflicted with one of TWO afflictions (of which there are far, far, far more) - in a game where even the weakest enemy can drain ALL of your armor in a single turn? In a game where you get a skill point every two levels (and level ups are rare and precious)?
That is so far beyond useless that I... I don't even!

Or Leadership: +2% dodge & +3% resistence per level for nearby allies. In a game where keeping allies close is an absolute death sentence and in which dodge is just entirely pointless (I don't think I ever dodged anything).
This is more useless than some of the things you can pick in PoE :lol:

The only one I could *maybe* imagine being somewhat useful very late in the game would be Retribution (5% reflected damage per level).

the way initiative works is pretty dumb, forcing you to take Wits only on one character for the sake of initiative.
What are you talking about?

Ever noticed how no matter the encounter, the second attacker is always the enemy? Not matter how many Wits you have on everyone, all battles will be like that. Initiative is broken and useless. So like if you have 15 wits on two characters and the enemy you fight has 14 wits, he will be the second to act anyway, despite both your characters having more Wits.
Yeah, initiative is totally useless. Don't waste points. Maybe on your summoning char so you can get cannon fodder early, but otherwise, it's a glorious dump stat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom