Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Jezal_k23

This enhanced edition feels unearned. The improvements they're making are irrelevant and don't fix the original game's main issues. And also, it was too fast. DOS2 came out what, last year? Already an enhanced edition, what the fuck?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, they are trying to fix the last act, so that's commendable. The "enhanced edition" is mostly about releasing it on consoles imo, I know "45 pages of changes" sounds intimidating and huge, but not having any significant mechanical changes after almost 1 year of feedback is ...not good and seems pointlessly stubborn or "knowing better" syndrome. It's pretty sad.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
D:OS EE dumbed down D:OS's main quest so it was a given that D:OS 2 would also receive a dummy pass.

Going to be quite the dilemma for me to choose which version to download since D:OS 2 will inevitably have its own shortcomings not present in the original.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well yeah, officially E3 expo has not started yet +M

(I wonder D:OS 2 will appear in Xbox conference, probably a short showreel if it will.)

Lacrymas

Arcane
E3 is today? Huh, this is the first year I don't really care about it. It has been boring and samey for years.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
2x4xoir.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOr...nity_made_a_nice_cameo_in_the_new_youtube_tv/

Divinity made a nice cameo in the new YouTube TV show Impulse.

So there's a character that's described as having autism and is depicted as aggressively nerdy. Tbh his character is a bit cringe-inducing when all of his severe social handicaps are written off due to "autism". So when we first get to see his room he's obviously got to have D:OS in the background! Though what's bizarre is it's seen on 3 separate displays, which seems like it'd be tedious to control that way.

The show is actually pretty good. It seems to be focusing more on the small-town drama than the fact this girl has teleportation abilities, but I'm only on episode 3, so maybe that'll change.

But I wanted to share because Divinity.

Also about the KS update:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
E3 preview, fortunately written by the one who played the original PC version, addressing the armor bloat: https://rpgamer.com/2018/06/e3-impression-divinity-original-sin-ii-definitive-edition/

Also:
- while they will keep support the game after the release there will be no more new content beyond Definitive Edition
- they're still not decided whether they'll use Kickstarter for the next game, but they know it could turn some people away

E3 Impression – Divinity: Original Sin II – Definitive Edition

The first experience E3 served me was a second go-around with one of 2017’s strongest titles: Divinity: Original Sin II. Larian Studios, with the help of Bandai Namco, have brought Divinity: Original Sin II – Definitive Edition to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The transition seems to be as smooth as when Larian performed this same feat several years ago with Divnity: Original Sin – Enhanced Edition. After an interview with Michael Douse, Director of Publishing at Larian Studios, Pascal Tekaia and I got some hands on-time with the Xbox One X version of the game.

The demo starts at the beginning of the game with a group of Sourcerers, chosen from the established six or custom-built, waking aboard a ship headed to Fort Joy. The experience playing side-by-side was seamless, with only occasional stutters while switching between the game’s shared screen and splitscreen mode, which allows players to explore independently of one another. Coming from the PC version, the user interface feels clunkier than the simplicity of point-and-click with a mouse; however it preserves the full utility of the controls for a controller. Perhaps the most useful change is a “Dynamic Ring”, which can be activated by holding the “A” button. The ring forms around the character and pulls up a list of all of the objects and characters that can be interacted with. This is an adequate solution to the minutia players normally deal with; while it can slow down the pace of play, it is not a deal-breaker.

Content-wise, what was available in the demo is the same as what can be found in the PC version. However, Douse says many changes were made to Act III, which did not feature in the demo. He said they were looking to address community feedback of the PC release of Act III, including frustration at the combat encounters and the amount of armor many enemies had. For quick reference, magical and physical armor each acted as an additional health pool that prevented status ailments from afflicting a combatant. When one or both of those pools depleted, characters could become susceptible to the secondary effects of attacks. In the original release of the game, too many enemies featured large amounts of both types of armor, making them strong against many builds. The largest overhaul of Act III is to redesign the combat encounters entirely, removing some fights and adding new ones elsewhere. The entire act was also rewritten and new voice acting was added.

The other issue that was at the forefront of Larian’s mind when working on the Definitive Edition was improving the user experience. Along with the better-than-average controller support mentioned above, the developers looked to address the overwhelming inventory system that held hundreds of items across up to four characters. However, during our hands-on time with the game it did not appear as though this feature was yet implemented or it had been implemented incorrectly, as the two characters shared distinct inventories and we couldn’t figure out how to view each other’s. Functionally, the multiplayer works in the same fashion as the PC version, with two players able to play on the same system and up to four together online. Player’s can jump in and out at any time, taking over for characters currently not in control of the game’s host. Finally, all the features that are new in the Definitive Edition will become available to PC owners as well. Douse was not clear on whether this would coincide with the console release or arrive at a later date.

During our interview, we also asked about the long term plans for Larian Studios. The company is currently focused on the Definitive Edition, so plans for the future are still being considered. While the company plans to support Divinity: Original Sin II until it feels satisfied, there are no plans to support the game with expanded content beyond the Definitive Edition. Douse says that the company prefers for games to have a beginning, middle, and end and that if it have a new idea it would be explored in a new game. While the company is considering Kickstarter for their next project, it also accepts that after a certain amount of success that going to Kickstarter, despite its benefits, has the potential to turn customers and fans away. However, this is a question Larian will have to answer after its done putting the finishing touches on Divinity: Original Sin II – Definitive Edition, which will be available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on August 31, 2018.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Why does KS have a potential to turn people away? Turn them away in what way? Never buying the game ever? Seems this statement isn't thought-out well. No DLCs is whatever, the problem with initiative and armor still remains, can't we bombard their forum to make at least initiative not hardcoded? I can also remove armor entirely, so whatevs.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Why does KS have a potential to turn people away? Turn them away in what way? Never buying the game ever? Seems this statement isn't thought-out well.

Well the writer didn't directly quote him so who knows what he actually said. But there were some criticized them for doing KS after the success of D:OS ('why do they ask for more money?', 'they're taking money that could have gone to smaller devs.'). Now that D:OS 2 succeeded even more than the first one, another KS probably will piss off more people than the last time. How many? Is it worth the risk? Who knows.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, Swen has belly-ached about Kickstarter before - there was a point where he didn't want to do one for D:OS 2 either.

But I think it was implied that that the developers of other Kickstarted games were the ones who convinced him to change his mind. They thought it was important to use D:OS's popularity to attract more eyeballs to the platform. But now that many of them have moved to Fig...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
But now that many of them have moved to Fig...

If Larian is going to Fig, pretty sure investors will be rushing to throw their money and the investment cap will be filled with no time. But IIRC Swen was not that very fond of Fig...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
But now that many of them have moved to Fig...

If Larian is going to Fig, pretty sure investors will be rushing to throw their money and the investment cap will be filled with no time. But IIRC Swen was not that very fond of Fig...

No no, I mean that the developers (Fargo etc) who seem to have convinced Swen to stay on Kickstarter, are no longer on Kickstarter. So that increases the odds that he won't stay there either (not in order to go to Fig himself, but simply to self-fund).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nah, it was just my imagination, not necessarily that you implied that.

Anyway I wonder how relationship between Larian and its players would be without KS, acting as sort of like financial bonds. Just reminded that I recently posted this from a recent EDGE article:

Yet Vincke values the impulsive nature of Kickstarter experience - the crazy promises made in the heat of the moment. "It forces us into a number of stretch goals for Original Sin II that otherwise we would probably have dropped," he confesses. It's a common understanding that stretch goals are a dangerous proposition for a developer, raising backer expectations and adding to pressure on a studio before it's even overcome the challenge of completing the base game: "In the end the stretch goals were part of the critical acclaim and success of that Original Sin II had."

They added a great deal of extra work, but being able to play as an undead character opened up many new strange and wonderful narrative situations, and giving characters the ability to shapeshift added even more strategic options for play. Game Master Mode, in which GMs can conduct pen-and-paper D&D style adventures, might only be used by a minority of players, as Vincke is happy to admit - but it also attracted further attention for the game and ended up forming the basis for a set of tools that allow the studio to better prototype and test scenarios and stories.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder how cost-effective it is to devleop a feature like GM mode and have its biggest effect be "increased media attention".

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
D:OS EE dumbed down D:OS's main quest so it was a given that D:OS 2 would also receive a dummy pass.

Going to be quite the dilemma for me to choose which version to download since D:OS 2 will inevitably have its own shortcomings not present in the original.
Tell us of your findings good Sir

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This guy says Larian has 150 employees now.

Definitive Edition Kickstarter update will be published after E3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom