Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss, have you actually read any post-modernists? Are you saying they are wrong in pointing out the divide between scientific institutions and the general public and there is no divide?
Read then? I was bombarded by this nonsense for years.

The point I was trying to make is that if there is a divide between scientific institutions and the general public, you won’t be able to find any cognitive support for this thesis on post-modernists, and it is silly to suggest that they made some significant breakthroughs abut the subject that we should all check it out. You can state something that is true by accident with obscure pretentious prose. That is trivial. What matters is if you can support this statement with sophisticated arguments and refined conceptual analysis.

If you can’t tell the difference between Deleuze and Searle, or notice what is wrong with the way Deleuze writes, there is something seriously flawed in your academic “training”.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If you think so, write a book savagely criticising them and their philosophy, that's the only way to get your point across.

If you think so, write a book savagely criticising them and their philosophy, that's the only way to get your point across.
You mean, like Sokal and Bricmont’s “Intellectual Impostures”? There is a ton of references. Their disciples don’t care about facts and arguments.

Lacrymas

Arcane
And Intellectual Impostures has criticisms of its own. Are you saying that it provides the objective judgement on the whole of post-modernism?

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss, have you actually read any post-modernists? Are you saying they are wrong in pointing out the divide between scientific institutions and the general public and there is no divide?

I have no idea if the PoMos did that but even if they did, they would be neither qualified to do so or have much to say about it from the academic pov of PoMo. Applying PoMo outside of its sphere of textual criticism is one of its biggest issues.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I have no idea if the PoMos did that but even if they did, they would be neither qualified to do so or have much to say about it from the academic pov of PoMo. Applying PoMo outside of its sphere of textual criticism is one of its biggest issues.

This is the first thing that comes to my mind as a citation -

kjXXFmS.jpg

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
That's where they get it wrong. First of all, Wittgensteinian ideas of Language games should be used very carefully. Just because Scientific discourse is out of the bounds of the interpretation, it does not automatically make it an exterior. In the end, Science is still done by Humans comprehensible to Humans. Its esoteric character is simply a product of its rigor and not its dissociation from Humanity.

And Intellectual Impostures has criticisms of its own. Are you saying that it provides the objective judgement on the whole of post-modernism?
The book does contain some superficial attempts to defend metaphysical realism and critiques of relativism, but you can find a more sophisticated version of this type of argumentation elsewhere. What makes this book interesting is that it shows that central authority figures act like charlatans in a variety of scientific topics they don’t understand and are revered for that. That is not up for debate. That’s a fact. You just need to check their references, citations and see for yourself. But this is just one of the many criticisms. There is the obvious pretentious obscurantist prose that is characteristic of charlatans, where enormous volumes can be summarised in a few pages of trivialities or evident falsehoods devoid of premises. The evident poor and shallow argumentation (ignorance of predicate calculus, informal logic, etc.), the lack of understanding of basic concepts of metaphysics, epistemology, ethics; the poor (if not inexistent) treatment of traditional philosophical problems and concepts (truth, objectivity, reality, etc) that are either rendered obsolete or must be reimagined in a radical fashion, the confusion about the nature of philosophy (cultural studies and armchair sociology are confused with metaphysics), the infatuation with academic masturbation involve more anaemic areas of culture like cinema, and literature, to the detriment of science topics and genuine philosophical problems; the ever-increasing radical narratives that are supposed to overcome and surpass everything that came before, etc. The list of red flags is endless. If a person can’t tell the difference she is either clueless, or wilfully blind with big names, or both.

Jezal_k23

Been playing this lately. The AI has been hilariously idiotic. In one fight a magister killed himself by taking 3 (THREE) AoOs by my party members who were surrounding him.

But that's normal. We know the AI is prone to taking AoOs.

BUT THEN, in the same fight, this happened:

The guy I circled in green KILLED HIS FRIEND! Incredible. I don't know what triggered it, given that he seemed to have no plan following the murder of his friend.

OQanN8e.jpg

I don't understand what triggered this, especially considering that Crippling Blow is a single target ability, but it was hilarious.

I could only thank him as I killed him. Made my fight easier for sure.

Codex Year of the Donut
Been playing this lately. The AI has been hilariously idiotic. In one fight a magister killed himself by taking 3 (THREE) AoOs by my party members who were surrounding him.

But that's normal. We know the AI is prone to taking AoOs.

BUT THEN, in the same fight, this happened:

The guy I circled in green KILLED HIS FRIEND! Incredible. I don't know what triggered it, given that he seemed to have no plan following the murder of his friend.

OQanN8e.jpg

I don't understand what triggered this, especially considering that Crippling Blow is a single target ability, but it was hilarious.

I could only thank him as I killed him. Made my fight easier for sure.
you took the worst party member(sebille) and skipped two of the best(lohse, fane)

agris

Arcane
Patron
No, I don't think the academic perspective is the One True Way and I know what a lot of people think about it. That is why I state it and don't just pronounce it as some objective fact.

You didn't state shit son.

A lot of workcels on the Kodex claim to be 'in academia' but post opinions pertaining to their alleged fields like all the other retards would. By now I take 'working in academia' to mean they're just hanging out at universities a lot if stated by a Codexer.

'I'm an academic therefore I'm coming from the academic perspective and by that creed it sucks, I can't explain it better' is just lulzy.
I read this and just have to interject: it's often the undergraduates (bachelor's level) students that think themselves and their peers the smartest people on the earth. They have tasted fruit from the tree of knowledge, and it has inflated their self worth. But they're usually too young to appreciate the difference between learning something theoretically, and truly knowing it. The knowing comes through experience, practice, and thus age.

Note how the undergraduate sees the undergraduate in this image:

people-in-science-highres.jpg
It fits with reality, in my experience.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh hey: https://www.pcgamer.com/the-pc-gamer-show-gdc-special-divinity-original-sin-2-with-swen-vincke/

The PC Gamer Show GDC Special: Divinity: Original Sin 2 with Swen Vincke
The head of Larian talks Divinity: Original Sin 2's success and how they always plan games that are too big.

Larian's founder Swen Vincke never stops moving towards the next RPG on the horizon. We convinced him to sit still for a few minutes and talk about the success of Divinity: Original Sin 2 and what went right and wrong during development. We also talked about the problem of crunch in game development and how to avoid it, and the loads of RPGs coming out in 2018.

Download the MP3 directly

Subscribe on iTunes

Grab the podcast RSS feed

Your flapping heads for this episode:

Wes Fenlon

Swen Vincke

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From Focus Home to Bandai Namco, heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom