Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's wrong with initiative?
It is ALWAYS player-enemy-player-enemy regardless of stats. You only influence the order YOUR characters will go at and if you will start first or not.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It is ALWAYS player-enemy-player-enemy regardless of stats. You only influence the order YOUR characters will go at and if you will start first or not.

So a bit like chess if you could move 4-5 pieces in one turn, eh?

Does that mean that 60 sloths with 1 Initiative each will go before my party of 4 with 15 + 10 + 12 + 19 = 56 Initiative? Is it party average?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

So a bit like chess if you could move 4-5 pieces in one turn, eh?

Does that mean that 60 sloths with 1 Initiative each will go before my party of 4 with 15+10+12+19 Initiative?

Let's say you have a party with 17-18-19-20 initiative and you fight a group of enemies with 1-2-3-4 initiative. The turn order will be(assuming more means faster):

20-4-19-3-18-2-17-1

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Let's say you have a party with 17-18-19-20 initiative and you fight a group of enemies with 1-2-3-4 initiative. The turn order will be(assuming more means faster):

20-4-19-3-18-2-17-1

Ohhhhhhhhh!

OH.

Oh....

d88c7f6489.png

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Yeah it's utterly retarded. Basically there is no point in raising Initiative on characters apart from the one you want to always act first..

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah it's utterly retarded. Basically there is no point in raising Initiative on characters apart from the one you want to always act first..

If you hadn't explained it to me as though I were five years old, I would never have understood it (without additional experience in-game), because despite having read nearly one hundred tabletop RPG core rulebooks and played God knows how many cRPGs over the decades, this is something entirely beyond my experience.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I can't recall the last time my mind was well and truly blown by the implementation of a game mechanic. This may even be the first time.

The last time my mind was blown this hard was when I watched a blurry CCTV video from somewhere in Latin America. Two men were arguing. One of them was holding a baby that had to be under a year old. The other man wound up and very deliberately punched the baby, delivering a solid haymaker that knocked the poor kiddo up and almost out of the dad's arms. After that, the scene turned to chaos.

I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. This is punch-a-baby levels of mindblowing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What's funnier is that if you kill the enemy who was supposed to go next, the next enemy in line bumps up until the point where you outnumber them.
Is this shit for real? Suddenly I am having Banner Saga PTSD relapse.

It's all real.

Sounds like that Darth Roxor review is actually more necessary than I'd thought.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I can't recall the last time my mind was well and truly blown by the implementation of a game mechanic. This may even be the first time.

i know right, my reaction was fairly similar

friendly reminder that otoh 370 out of 638 people who participated in the goty voting found that not to be an issue at all

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
It's also possible that the game is better than all the other shit despite the initiative system. You know, better than for a example a game where you fight stuff by circling around them and hopping around with your jetpack. Initiative suddenly seems like a small issue compared to that

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I know you would but apparently the majority doesn't.

spoiler:

because the majority doesnt even have a clue the initiative system is broken

nobody noticed it in this very thread until i barged in with righteous fury back in the day, and that was a time when people were already prouncing through the reaper's coast

I know you would but apparently the majority doesn't.

spoiler:

because the majority doesnt even have a clue the initiative system is broken

nobody noticed it in this very thread until i barged in with righteous fury back in the day, and that was a time when people were already prouncing through the reaper's coast

i thought that other than the rogue/ranger all the others had the same initiative so they took turns... i've never been so wrong.
damn, it royally sucks.

Jezal_k23

I don't think the game even properly explains how initiative works... that's why nobody knows. It's so obscure.

Do we have any idea why they decided for it to work this way? It's so puzzling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom