Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

gaussgunner

Arcane
You and Zombra assume that they do ingame nights with simply lowering gamma setting, when in fact there is always a bit of effort and lot of details like dynamic lighting, moon reflections, environmental fx, torches, building lights etc. etc., and all those things togheter contribute to create the illusion of a real world and time passing.

Exactly. That shit burns up a ton of dev time & money. Double (at least) for meaningful gameplay. Yeah, it could be cool, but not if the developer runs out of money, releases a half-assed game, and goes bankrupt.

It was easier in the old days, with shit graphics and simpler game-world models.

Mazisky

Magister
Exactly. That shit burns up a ton of dev time & money. Double (at least) for meaningful gameplay. Yeah, it could be cool, but not if the developer runs out of money, releases a half-assed game, and goes bankrupt.

It was easier in the old days, with shit graphics and simpler game-world models.

If it is so hard and time-consuming, can you explain why 95 % of Rpgs, indie or AAA, old or modern, regardless of shitty or awesome graphics, have it?

gaussgunner

Arcane
If it is so hard and time-consuming, can you explain why 95 % of Rpgs, indie or AAA, old or modern, regardless of shitty or awesome graphics, have it?

Here we go again... define modern RPG. But in all seriousness, "95%" means nothing if it includes modern walking sims and old gems like JA2, BG2, and Divine Divinity but excludes old forgotten crap.

Let's name some arguably decent RPGs with meaningful day/night (even FP ARPGs) released since 2005. I'll start. I'm sure I'm missing some and I haven't even tried most of these but they're the ones I've seen codexians talking about.

- Underrail (edit: no day/night, 100% underground)
- Serpent in the Staglands
- Age of Decadence
- Pillars of Eternity
- NEO Scavenger
- Witcher series
- Risen
- Gothic 2-3

Then ask, does day/night make any of these games great?

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
Those games were mentioned a few pages back in this thread. I didn't want to put words in his mouth... like "walking simulator" or "shit"

*EDIT: I couldn't think of enough good examples either.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister

Here we go again... define modern RPG. But in all seriousness, "95%" means nothing if it includes modern walking sims and old gems like JA2, BG2, and Divine Divinity but excludes old forgotten crap.

Let's name some arguably decent RPGs with meaningful day/night (even FP ARPGs) released since 2005. I'll start. I'm sure I'm missing some and I haven't even tried most of these but they're the ones I've seen codexians talking about.

- Underrail
- Serpent in the Staglands
- Age of Decadence
- Pillars of Eternity
- NEO Scavenger
- Witcher series
- Risen
- Gothic 2-3

Then ask, does day/night make any of these games great?

You can cut shadows, the whole lighting system and every sound effect in any of those games and allow only 640 x 480 resolution, they would probably be still great games

So, what's the point.

gaussgunner

Arcane
You can cut shadows, the whole lighting system and every sound effect in any of those games and allow only 640 x 480 resolution, they would probably be still great games

So, what's the point.

That you have low standards for greatness. And you aren't familiar with those games.

I was mistaken about Underrail (no day/night cycle) and I included some "good for what it is" and popamole shit just to be charitable.

Mazisky

Magister

So, what's the point.

That you have low standards for greatness. And you aren't familiar with those games.

I was mistaken about Underrail (no day/night cycle) and I included some "good for what it is" and popamole shit just to be charitable.

I wasn't pay attention to the list ifself, because i thought your whole point was "if a game is good or bad, it's not cause of day\nights presence". Isn't it what u meant?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, the "thing people have been asking for" is customizable portraits :P

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The big news is that the game will be playable for all KS backers in 6 minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom